Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

All morning and early afternoon, the winds were howling in from the northeast, as is to be expected. In the last hour or so, they've shifted to be coming from due east. That corresponds to the storm changing path off the coast of NJ to move inland. Kind of amazing to be able to notice the correspondence.

uh, oh, lights are flickering...
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

looks like landfall over Cape May and then Delaware Bay and on top of Harve de Grace.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think this would be loads more exciting if Regis Philbin were providing commentary.

Comment

jim cantore in a dry suit isnt working for you?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Still have power but the lights have been flickering. Lots of wind and rain. Wind gusts have been 60+ mph so far and will probably go higher in the next few hours. Worst rain is to the south along the Jersey Shore. The big problem is going to be the storm surge in the next 2 to 4 hours. Essentially the entire south shore of Long Island will be under water. For those of you familiar with LI, that is the entire area south of Merrick Rd./Montauk Highway (Rt. 27A). Lots of small branches are down in my yard. Luckily most of the leaves have been blown off of the trees so they aren't acting like sails like they would if this was August or September. Just under 200,000 people on LI are without power right now. We still have many hours of high winds so that number could rise dramatically. A crane has collapsed on W 57th Street in NYC. It is at the 90th floor of a new condo building and hanging up above Carnegie Hall. If that falls there will be significant damage to the surrounding buildings. W. 57th is closed between 6th & 7th Avenues in Midtown. I just hope we don't lose power.
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Bloomberg: "If we lose an emergency responder because of someone's idiocy or irresponsibility, that would be a true tragedy."

Best part of emergencies, the rare occasion where politicians openly call people stupid.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Does Mayor Bloomberg sound like Gary Bettman?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  winds up to 33 / gusts to 42. Barometer around 29 and falling.

Still have power -- but if I get through the MNF game, I will be shocked.
                  Strengthening here in the State College area. Power just went out for a few seconds, but where we are it's likely to go out again and perhaps for some time.

Good luck to all of us in the path of this beastie
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I echo Steve's comments. Stay safe, people.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                      Still have power but the lights have been flickering. Lots of wind and rain. Wind gusts have been 60+ mph so far and will probably go higher in the next few hours. Worst rain is to the south along the Jersey Shore. The big problem is going to be the storm surge in the next 2 to 4 hours. Essentially the entire south shore of Long Island will be under water. For those of you familiar with LI, that is the entire area south of Merrick Rd./Montauk Highway (Rt. 27A). Lots of small branches are down in my yard. Luckily most of the leaves have been blown off of the trees so they aren't acting like sails like they would if this was August or September. Just under 200,000 people on LI are without power right now. We still have many hours of high winds so that number could rise dramatically. A crane has collapsed on W 57th Street in NYC. It is at the 90th floor of a new condo building and hanging up above Carnegie Hall. If that falls there will be significant damage to the surrounding buildings. W. 57th is closed between 6th & 7th Avenues in Midtown. I just hope we don't lose power.
                      Thanks for that clear, concise report. Here's hoping you and all of my USCHO colleagues suffer minimal inconvenience and damage. You've correctly identified storm surge as the principal cause of death from hurricanes (90% or more). These days I think most people have given up on having "hurricane parties" near the shore.

In the great Galveston hurricane, that took thousands of lives, I remember reading about the local weather bureau official taking refuge in his house with several other people. Apropos of storm surge, he told of looking out his window and seeing a railroad locomotive heading for his house!

So good luck to all. Via con Dios.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

My son just got home from work. Took him a half hour to make a 5 minute drive. He said trees are down all over the place and our little 2 to 3 block area is the only one with power. Keeping my fingers crossed. My next door neighbor just had his twin oaks come down in the front yard. They missed his house and cars. He moved his cars about an hour before the trees fell which would have crushed both of them.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                          Tweet of the day!

You sure about that?

the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            You sure about that?

I yield to your greatness
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Hudson River has just overflowed the bulkhead in Downtown Manhattan at Battery Park.

Comment

Anyone watching the weather channel and see the substation blow in the background???
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X