Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Hey, dimwits, given that you are the ISP, exactly how do you expect us to go on line in the first place?
    smartphone

Comment

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      smartphone
      What's that?

Comment

• Originally posted by CLS View Post
        Maybe there was nothing they could have done for the ship; being moored in Conn. might not be a lot better than being at sea. But sailing is risking life, and the quoted statement sounds really dumb. Trying to make it around a storm that has an effect for several hundred, maybe a thousand, miles?
        Most times, it is safest to send large vessels out to an anchorage to ride out a storm. They try to get as sheltered as possible, but staying inland and risking lines breaking/going adrift in a harbor.

Now, a sailing vessel like the Bounty, probably would have been in their best interests to wait, or they should have gone into harbor in Newport news/Virginia beach. It's a **** shame that she is now likely lost.

Comment

Wall St Journal photo gallery of Sandy flooding in various parts of the East Coast.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...8.html#slide/1
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The wind and rain have been both picking up over the last hour here in 202-land.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

"coned... er, cone ed is predicting black outs tonight"

ummm. Con Ed!
              silly twc talkers
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

winds up to 33 / gusts to 42. Barometer around 29 and falling.

Still have power -- but if I get through the MNF game, I will be shocked.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

http://youtu.be/OTO_NsYkqOo

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

There may be 33 foot waves tomorrow on the coast... of Lake Michigan... in Wisconsin!
                    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Still have power -- but if I get through the MNF game, I will be shocked.
                      yeah. I just heard that they may turn off power in our town as a precautionary measure in advance of tonight's high tide storm surge. Better to turn it off before the substation floods than have it flood and short out.

Now whatever genius decided to build a substation immediately next to a river???
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        Somebody call Jack Woltz!!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Now whatever genius decided to build a substation immediately next to a river???

Probably from North Dakota originally...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            There may be 33 foot waves tomorrow on the coast... of Lake Michigan... in Wisconsin!
                            That's not totally uncommon. Some strong storms in November can throw 30's out there as well. Rare, but they do happen just about once a fall.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                              That's not totally uncommon. Some strong storms in November can throw 30's out there as well. Rare, but they do happen just about once a fall.

Sure, but for a hurricane's impact to be felt this far from a coast...

Big Storm.

The Weather Channel has coverage live streaming.

www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/live-stream

Comment

geez. stay safe all!

hurricane wont scare the Marines!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X