Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Doc

What county are you in? Mom is in assisted living in the north of Bergen County.

Wherever it is, stay safe, dry, and with power.
    We are down in Ocean County-right by the water. For about 30 years virtually knew anything about this area and it was a well kept secret how lovely the area was. We had a local population of about 11,000 when we moved down. Now we are approaching 100,000 and suffer from all the ills of overbuilding and over population that many other places have. So far things are OK but we are not even close to the worst that this storm will bring. I suspect once things go downhill (between 3PM and midnight) we will be in for some pretty rough wind and water. Many people here had not gone through this kind of thing until Irene last year (and comparatively that was pretty mild). What they do not understand is that for hours in advance of the storm you get wind and rain-but it is really just nothing but fringes coming through. Once things start to get bad, they do so in a real hurry. I truly learned my lesson in August 1992 with Andrew. We were out and about 4-5 hours before it hit shopping on Kendall Drive (SW Miami) and figured that if that was the worst this storm had to offer we had nothing to worry about. By the time we got home-we were fortunate to survive.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I'm surprised you and Jenny didn't shoot up to the 'dacks.
      We would have-our neighbors up there told me all they were going to get was a little rain as the temps have been in the 50's. But society being what it is down here-we have to stay around to just insure that no one takes adavantage and nothing is taken. As Tony Curtis said to Cary Grant in Operation Petticoat-"At times of confusion there is often great opportunity." The police down here although substantial in numbers, still have a rural mentality yet the area has certainly become more urbanized. At one time, not too long ago, we were named one of the 3 safest communities in America. But that, along with a lot of other things has been changing.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Yesterday at noon, before the storm even came near, high tide was higher than normal and our local river was straining at its banks even then. the wind has really picked up now, and they say the "worst" is still six or seven hours away. The entire state is supposedly shut down. No trains of any kind. All government offices closed.

I'll be tempted to go out briefly around noon just to see how high the tide is today. I guess tomorrow's high tide will be the really bad one.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Not sure why they needed to get to Florida this week. Not the best time for a tall ship to be heading south...

http://portal.tds.net/news/read.php?...org%3E&ps=1011

Comment

Ocean City, NJ
            *****https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6YYiUhCQAAPCKt.jpg******

Reports that Atlantic City is under water. Point Pleasant Beach is flooded.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

2 points for Chris Christie.

while answering a reporter's question about people doing unsafe things with electricity and gas, said "Instead of listing everything people shouldn't do, let's just put it this way - if it looks stupid, it is stupid, so don't do stupid things"
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Drove to work in the (somewhat) aftermath of that storm. 4 cyl Corsica. Yup. It was fun as hell since I was the only car on the road.
                I was on the road in a 1990 Ford Probe. I lived in Apple Valley, had hockey practice in Hastings, and my dad thought it was in Farmington. My dad's a slow driver to begin with and Probes were not known for being good in the snow. That was just torture for a 14 year old kid whose buddies were all still at home making snow forts for snowball fights because even after he was proven wrong on the location, we still had to drive out to practice because he wasn't going to throw his money away like that. I was on the ice for all of 10 minutes before practice ended.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Ocean City, MD. 3/4 of the Fishing Pier is down.

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/525591_456230634418295_520891837_n.jpg******
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    Not sure why they needed to get to Florida this week. Not the best time for a tall ship to be heading south...

http://portal.tds.net/news/read.php?...org%3E&ps=1011
                    "They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center," she said. "They were trying to make it around the storm."
                    Maybe there was nothing they could have done for the ship; being moored in Conn. might not be a lot better than being at sea. But sailing is risking life, and the quoted statement sounds really dumb. Trying to make it around a storm that has an effect for several hundred, maybe a thousand, miles?

Comment

Typical idiocy from Comcast: just received a robocall telling us where to go on line to report a service outage.

Hey, dimwits, given that you are the ISP, exactly how do you expect us to go on line in the first place?

First drops of rain just began to fall. Several roads already under water due only to the higher than usual high tide, while storm surge has not even arrived yet. This will be much worse here than Irene as far as flooding goes.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

No snow advisories for Western PA yet. They are all in WV and MD at the moment.

Pittsburgh is calling for rain (2"-6") and wind gusts of 60 mph. So the biggest risks are flooding of streams/creeks and power outages.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          We are down in Ocean County-right by the water. For about 30 years virtually knew anything about this area and it was a well kept secret how lovely the area was. We had a local population of about 11,000 when we moved down. Now we are approaching 100,000 and suffer from all the ills of overbuilding and over population that many other places have. So far things are OK but we are not even close to the worst that this storm will bring. I suspect once things go downhill (between 3PM and midnight) we will be in for some pretty rough wind and water. Many people here had not gone through this kind of thing until Irene last year (and comparatively that was pretty mild). What they do not understand is that for hours in advance of the storm you get wind and rain-but it is really just nothing but fringes coming through. Once things start to get bad, they do so in a real hurry. I truly learned my lesson in August 1992 with Andrew. We were out and about 4-5 hours before it hit shopping on Kendall Drive (SW Miami) and figured that if that was the worst this storm had to offer we had nothing to worry about. By the time we got home-we were fortunate to survive.
                          Doc

The father of one of our former players is the Emergency Management Director in Tom's River. He was telling the same story about the growth when we were there over Labor Day weekend. He and his wife (Paramedic and ER Nurse) are going to be up to their eyeballs this week.

Good luck to you, them and everyone along the coast.

Currently in Hockey Valley it's windy with rain. Classes this afternoon are cancelled, our game at Fredonia State tomorrow night has been rescheduled and we're waiting to see how bad it's going to get here.

As long as I can BBQ and heat water for our Tim Hortons coffee we'll survive!
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

They are still guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Tweet of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                They are still guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
                                Those heroes scoff at this piddling rainstorm.

Comment

Working...
                                X