Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Thick, wet, heavy snow falling in Manhattan circa 11:30 AM Wednesday. I sure hope it doesn't accumulate on tree branches!
    Blowing and raining down here in south NJ. Power flickering a few times already. Supposed to get gusts over 60mph later and a change over to snow with some accumulation. Costa Rica starting to look a whole lot better for us right now!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

    Comment


    • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

      We got 5-6 inches of white stuff from this one-along with gusts to about 55mph. Lost power briefly 3 times last night but this was a cupcake compared to Sandy. The area around us did suffer some more damage as trees are down from the weight of the wet snow. Power outages, which had been greatly resolved, have again spiked. This is starting out to be one heck of a winter (and winter is still 6 weeks away!). I think we may be better off moving up into the Adirondacks where we would get a much less severe winter.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

      Comment


      • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

        Typical winter storm. 5" of snow or so. Nothing unusual. Will all be melted by tomorrow afternoon.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

        "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

        "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

        "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Typical winter storm. 5" of snow or so. Nothing unusual. Will all be melted by tomorrow afternoon.
          Given that the record snowfall for NYC was .1" I would call 4" unusual.

          Comment


          • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

            Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            Given that the record snowfall for NYC was .1" I would call 4" unusual.
            Not for coastal CT. I work in NYC and live in central coastal CT.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

            "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

            "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

            "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

            Comment


            • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

              Day 10 without power, 42 degrees in my house this a.m. About 7 inches of snow fell in my area on Wed/Thurs bringing down more branches and more outages. At least the temps are supposed to rise over the next few days into the 60's. Not one LIPA or any other utility truck has been sited in my neighborhood. Frustration is not the word I have for LIPA.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

              DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

              DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

              MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


              Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

              Comment


              • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                Originally posted by du78 View Post
                Day 10 without power, 42 degrees in my house this a.m. About 7 inches of snow fell in my area on Wed/Thurs bringing down more branches and more outages. At least the temps are supposed to rise over the next few days into the 60's. Not one LIPA or any other utility truck has been sited in my neighborhood. Frustration is not the word I have for LIPA.
                We feel for you-we were totally out for 8 days and we are all electric here. Temp dropped to 52 at the lowest in here. But we have a fireplace. Only problem was no one had any wood. We tried everywhere-then one morning at 6AM a truck pulled into the Hoome Dept about 6 miles from here and I saw one big pallet of wood on there. I asked when we could purchase any and the store manager said as soon as he could unload and open the store. We bought everything that would fit into the car. Burned about 40 logs in the next couple days-temp got up to 65-68 in the house and Jenny cooked using the fireplace and some old enamel pots we saved from the old days. At least we had some warm food and some heat again. Hope they get you back up soon.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                Comment


                • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                  Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  We feel for you-we were totally out for 8 days and we are all electric here. Temp dropped to 52 at the lowest in here. But we have a fireplace. Only problem was no one had any wood. We tried everywhere-then one morning at 6AM a truck pulled into the Hoome Dept about 6 miles from here and I saw one big pallet of wood on there. I asked when we could purchase any and the store manager said as soon as he could unload and open the store. We bought everything that would fit into the car. Burned about 40 logs in the next couple days-temp got up to 65-68 in the house and Jenny cooked using the fireplace and some old enamel pots we saved from the old days. At least we had some warm food and some heat again. Hope they get you back up soon.
                  I have no fireplace and my heat and hot water is oil fired. Without electric or a whole house generator not much I can do about heat. Thanks to DG, I have a small generator that is giving us lights, phone charging, etc. when we are there. The problem with generators of any size right now is getting the gas for them. We started odd/even license plate gas rationing today. Luckily one of my neighbors got gas yesterday and took my two tanks with him and got them filled. Have been a gypsy crashing at relatives' houses the past few nights. Glad you are back up and running.
                  Last edited by du78; 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                  DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                  DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                  MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


                  Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                    Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    I have no fireplace and my heat and hot water is oil fired. Without electric or a whole house generator not much I can do about heat. Thanks to DG, I have a small generator that is giving us lights, phone charging, etc. when we are there. The problem with generators of any size right now is getting the gas for them. We started odd/even license plate gas rationing today. Luckily one of my neighbors got gas yesterday and took my two tanks with him and got them filled. Have been a gypsy crashing at relatives' houses the past few nights. Glad you are back up and running.
                    During the height of this trouble down here, my daughter idled on line with her car for 4+ hours to get gas. When she finally got to the pump she was simply told she was limited to $20 which was 5 gallons total. (I suspect she burned almost that much in line). Things have improved rapidly here in the last 36 hours.

                    We have had this kind of thing happen to us twice before, but both times in Florida-1992 and 2004. We thought we had left this all behind us down there and were more or less immune from it happening up here.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                      For those of you up there is LIPA better than LILCO?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

                      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                        Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        For those of you up there is LIPA better than LILCO?
                        No, probably worse and higher priced. Finally got my power back today after 11 days.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                        DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                        DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

                        MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


                        Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                          This could be a scandal of major proportions -- http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...ssessment.html

                          If it was not a hurricane, then the insurance companies may not pay off....
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                            The hurricane season officially ends after otday, but there is something out there http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
                            sigpic

                            Let's Go 'Tute!

                            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                            2012 Poser Of The Year

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                              Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              The hurricane season officially ends after otday, but there is something out there http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
                              There's something happening here
                              What it is ain't exactly clear...


                              This hurricane has really made my job more difficult these past few weeks. One of the major players in my industry (an industry maker, really) is located in Manhattan, an organization with whom my group needs to run testing currently. They're not anticipating to have their test environment up and running for another two weeks or so. This organization has made it a point to get everyone setup with dual-site processing in order to avoid long-term service outages. When it comes to their own setup, it turns out they're not as robustly setup as what they advocate for everyone else. I need to borrow a shovel from Hammer.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                                A satellite loop of the 2012 Hurricane Season in 4.5 minutes: http://youtu.be/dmLYjs0kwnc

                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

                                "I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X