Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

    Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    David Stern just said that Katrina hit NYC last night. Fail!
    It's a metaphor, dumbass.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

    Comment


    • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

      we got through just fine although like millions of other have no electric power (at a local grocery store using their battery-powered wi-fi connection for now).

      Regarding backup generator, I researched last fall after Irene and the Halloween snow storm and natural gas seems like the best way to go from my perspective as well. Gas service has never been disrupted here at least (being underground) and they have automatic sensors and connectors so that it turns on by itself even if you are away or asleep.

      The trick is the venting, depends on local building codes whether you have to have it outdoors or whether you can have it indoors and vent it to a chimney.

      They are a bit more expensive, several thousand dollars for the whole package (plumber for gas connection - electrician to connect to circuit breaker box plus the equipment).

      Naturally after pricing it all out we decided not to buy one.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

      "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

      "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

      "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

      Comment


      • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

        Have not heard from Dr. D. Hope he and Jenny are okay.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

        "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

        "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

        "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

        Comment


        • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

          Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Have not heard from Dr. D. Hope he and Jenny are okay.
          QFT. a
          sigpic

          Let's Go 'Tute!

          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

          2012 Poser Of The Year

          Comment


          • Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Have not heard from Dr. D. Hope he and Jenny are okay.
            yes. prayers for them.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

            Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

            Comment


            • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

              DrD lives in Jersey, right? Anyone know what town?
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

              Comment


              • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                First, jmh, no need to call me that. Second, here's the video. I don't think it was a metaphor.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbOu...e_gdata_player
                Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

                2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

                Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

                "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

                Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

                Comment


                • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                  Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  DrD lives in Jersey, right? Anyone know what town?
                  DrD and Jenny live in Ocean County (Brick, Toms River) just south of Asbury Park. I would guess that they are without power and other communications for a while. Hope all is well for them and the rest of our NJ posters. They got hammered.

                  Edit: Does anyone know if Lucy the Elephant survived?
                  Last edited by joecct; 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                  ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                  I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                    Originally posted by joecct View Post

                    Edit: Does anyone know if Lucy the Elephant survived?
                    She did indeed, although she is surrounded by more sand than she used to be.

                    http://boingboing.net/2012/10/30/luc...1-novelty.html

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                      As far as where we live, Irene was much worse than Sandy, because the winds were so much stronger. Much less wind damage around town this time (especially as all the weak limbs were blown off already last year!). The flooding here was not much worse this time than during Irene either.

                      However, for those along the shore (Long Island Sound, CT) further west, they really saw extreme flooding conditions. High tide plus storm surge plus the Sound narrows at it goes further west.

                      I haven't had any TV and the internet at the public library is glacial (half the town is here using their wifi, it seems!) It would be ironic if we had a repeat of Katrina in Greenwich (people being evacuated from their roof by helicopter because they ignored the mandatory evacuation orders).

                      Surviving quite well with no electricity at home. Very lucky: still have running water, hot water, and the range (oven doesn't work until power is back). The only problem would be if it gets cold, as our heating system requires electricity to circulate the hot water. Since the library has power we can recharge things here, and local stores have enough ice that we can keep food cold to avoid spoilage.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

                      "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

                      "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

                      "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                        Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        DrD and Jenny live in Ocean County (Brick, Toms River) just south of Asbury Park. I would guess that they are without power and other communications for a while. Hope all is well for them and the rest of our NJ posters. They got hammered.

                        Edit: Does anyone know if Lucy the Elephant survived?
                        39.000 still without power in Toms River. 3,000 turned back on yesterday.

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                          Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          39.000 still without power in Toms River. 3,000 turned back on yesterday.
                          I am pretty sure that DrD lives in or very near to Brick which doesn't help his situation.
                          sigpic

                          Let's Go 'Tute!

                          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                          2012 Poser Of The Year

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                            Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            As far as where we live, Irene was much worse than Sandy, because the winds were so much stronger. Much less wind damage around town this time (especially as all the weak limbs were blown off already last year!). The flooding here was not much worse this time than during Irene either.

                            However, for those along the shore (Long Island Sound, CT) further west, they really saw extreme flooding conditions. High tide plus storm surge plus the Sound narrows at it goes further west.

                            I haven't had any TV and the internet at the public library is glacial (half the town is here using their wifi, it seems!) It would be ironic if we had a repeat of Katrina in Greenwich (people being evacuated from their roof by helicopter because they ignored the mandatory evacuation orders).

                            Surviving quite well with no electricity at home. Very lucky: still have running water, hot water, and the range (oven doesn't work until power is back). The only problem would be if it gets cold, as our heating system requires electricity to circulate the hot water. Since the library has power we can recharge things here, and local stores have enough ice that we can keep food cold to avoid spoilage.
                            FF

                            If you have a hot water system, there are usually a thingy at the bottom of each zone valve that opens the valve and allows natural convection to occur. We used to do that in our house in Bergen County when the power went out.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

                            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                              Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              FF

                              If you have a hot water system, there are usually a thingy at the bottom of each zone valve that opens the valve and allows natural convection to occur. We used to do that in our house in Bergen County when the power went out.
                              Thanks for the suggestion. When I went to implement it, I noticed that the thermostat for the boiler runs off electricity, and so unfortunately there won't be much of a temperature difference 51 hours on.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

                              "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

                              "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

                              "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

                                Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                First, jmh, no need to call me that. Second, here's the video. I don't think it was a metaphor.
                                or maybe hyper bowl? (copyright curt schilling )
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X