X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet 2012

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Accidents like that were of why I left law enforcement after 21 years. I watched a 17 year old boy die in the arms of an off-duty nurse. He was a passenger in a car that was rear-ended by another kid who was stoned.
    When it got to the point that those accidents didn't bother me, I knew it was time to get out.
    I seem to recall the actor Dana Andrews coming out as an alcoholic in a PSA where he was making the point about people driving totally smashed, not just "impaired." IIRC, he was standing on a 2-lane highway with some out of control dude approaching from behind him.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for you. Totally innocent, very unlucky people whose lives are snuffed out by selfish drunks. Some aren't killed of course, they're just paralyzed or have their brains scrambled for life. Prison time is called for. I recall a large tavern I passed in Sarasota every morning on my way home from work. Maybe 10 or 11 in the morning, and lots of cars in the parking lot. What the h*ll were those people doing? Maybe some of them were enjoying the SOS brunch, but they were doubtless washing it down with boilermakers.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
      Take this for what you will, but the MADD website lists a statistic that the average person who is issued a DUI has driven drunk over 80 times before they were caught.

Again, take that for what you will, but OP's assertion (I think it was OP) that people with multiple DUI's are driving drunk habitually, is probably spot on.
      And that average would take into account the "first timers" or "infrequent drunks" as well as the hard core, always sh*t faced, always behind the wheel types, too. There are people out there who are drunk virtually every time they get behind the wheel. Because they spend their lives drunk. They wake up drunk. And immediately begin drinking again.
      Last edited by Old Pio; 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        The killer needs to be executed, publicly if possible, to send a message to all the other wanna be killer pedophiles out there that they can run but they can't hide. If we can't protect our children and avenge their murders, what kind of a society are we?
        I think the killer's name should be redacted from all the press. Because coming out after all these years I think he's looking for some publicity, and we shouldn't give him any. Report on what happened, just don't name the guy.
        I can't imagine what it must have been like for you. Totally innocent, very unlucky people whose lives are snuffed out by selfish drunks. Some aren't killed of course, they're just paralyzed or have their brains scrambled for life. Prison time is called for. I recall a large tavern I passed in Sarasota every morning on my way home from work. Maybe 10 or 11 in the morning, and lots of cars in the parking lot. What the h*ll were those people doing? Maybe some of them were enjoying the SOS brunch, but they were doubtless washing it down with boilermakers.
        In all fairness, maybe they had just gotten off of work - like you - and were stopping off just as a guy who punches out at 5pm. Getting whitewashed is wrong either way, but don't judge what is going on merely by a clock.
        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          I think the killer's name should be redacted from all the press. Because coming out after all these years I think he's looking for some publicity, and we shouldn't give him any. Report on what happened, just don't name the guy.
          In all fairness, maybe they had just gotten off of work - like you - and were stopping off just as a guy who punches out at 5pm. Getting whitewashed is wrong either way, but don't judge what is going on merely by a clock.
          You apply whatever benefit of the doubt standards you wish( they had jobs, they were only getting a beer after work, and then they were going to head home, and they weren't going to stay there for hours). I'll apply the standards of common sense. It was a dump, which I'd never go into at any time. So maybe you're right, they were all members of the Upright Citizen's Brigade, and they were in there to enjoy the decor and the kweezine, but I kinda doubt it.

The monster who killed Etan Patz, didn't "come out." He was tracked down by NYPD, which had reopened the case, and confronted with irrefutable evidence that he was the guy. Again, you evidently want to give this piece of sh*t some benefit of the doubt or consideration. He'd remained silent for 33 years, I seriously doubt he had any plans to change that strategy. Regardless, it isn't possible to keep his name from the public. We don't have a managed press. And what you're talking about would be unacceptable collusion. That's not how it works.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

The next time someone tries the "why haven't you found yourself a good girl and settled down yet?" line on me, I'm going to point them to this story.
            Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-25-2012, 12:13 AM.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Attractive.
              Sane.
              Single.

Choose two.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Not only should she be forced to pay back the money, the guy should file a civil suit against her and take absolutely everything. Then they should punish her as much as possible for filing a false police report and purgury.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The monster who killed Etan Patz, didn't "come out." He was tracked down by NYPD, which had reopened the case, and confronted with irrefutable evidence that he was the guy. Again, you evidently want to give this piece of sh*t some benefit of the doubt or consideration. He'd remained silent for 33 years, I seriously doubt he had any plans to change that strategy. Regardless, it isn't possible to keep his name from the public. We don't have a managed press. And what you're talking about would be unacceptable collusion. That's not how it works.
                  My mistake. I had understood that he had volunteered the information.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Wow...

I looked her up on Facebook. She has nine friends. I didn't know someone could only have nine Facebook friends. Though I suppose when you'd rather lie to send someone to prison so you can get money you probably won't have many friends, in Facebook or real life.

I'd like to see a school give him a chance. On ABC.com the article said MSU was after him, I wouldn't mind Dantonio giving up a scholarship for him. If he doesn't make it to the NFL at least he'd have a chance to turn his life around with an education.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Wow...

I looked her up on Facebook. She has nine friends. I didn't know someone could only have nine Facebook friends. Though I suppose when you'd rather lie to send someone to prison so you can get money you probably won't have many friends, in Facebook or real life.

I'd like to see a school give him a chance. On ABC.com the article said MSU was after him, I wouldn't mind Dantonio giving up a scholarship for him. If he doesn't make it to the NFL at least he'd have a chance to turn his life around with an education.
                      What seals the deal on the kind of person she is at this late date, after what she did and what she caused, she's concerned about returning the mil and a half she got. I believe it was Shakespeare who laid out the requirements for getting a pound of flesh from her. Mercifully, this sort of thing doesn't happen too often.

I'm all for giving the young man a shot at football and an education. Just wondering if a smaller school, with a less challenging program might not be better for him. I'd predict somebody's going to reach out to him and give him a chance.

Comment

My mistake. I had understood that he had volunteered the information.
                        Your initial point wasn't "wrong," just not the way things work in a free society with a free press. For which I'm sure we're both grateful. If I was emperor of the United States, I'd have him zotzed at half time of a Super Bowl.

And if Etan Patz' parents or siblings wanted to initiate the death sequence by pushing a button or pulling a switch, that would also work for me.

Comment

I don't know if Colorado is unusual in this, but in Colorado, if you get drunk, get behind the wheel, and kill someone, your best bet is to drive away. If someone takes down a license plate number, and you get busted, you will get less jail time than if you had stayed at the scene and taken responsibility because they won't be able to prove that you were driving drunk. Good times.

Comment

Mother gouges out her 5-year old son's eyes. Dios mio.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84O01L20120525

Comment

Mother gouges out her 5-year old son's eyes. Dios mio.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84O01L20120525
                              I know I wasn't supposed to laugh - but the photo struck me funny. Were the ambulance workers wearing the goggles to protect themselves from the mother?

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I know I wasn't supposed to laugh - but the photo struck me funny. Were the ambulance workers wearing the goggles to protect themselves from the mother?
                                It struck me as odd, too. I thought maybe there were scuba diving when they got the call.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-25-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X