X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2012

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    They may have been a bit over-zealous here, yet I can have some sympathy for the store clerk given the wacky times we live in...several years ago we won a trip to Disney World as a prize, and at the pool by our hotel there was an older male, on his own, watching the young children splash around through the telephoto lens on his camera several times (i.e., every time we brought the kids there). I thought it was really creepy.

A book store, of course, is quite different, and even pedophiles who watch from afar and don't touch are not breaking any laws.
    These two things are so different as to be totally incomparable. That policy is totally outrageous, completely unreasonable, and obviously illegal. Also, obviously NOT a company policy. It MIGHT have been a store policy of that particular B&N, but I smell someone trying to cover their own arse.

A few years ago, a friend of mine, who was quite young at the time, for being the mother of 2, had a bunch of tattoos and piercing was stopped by mall security after a "tip" from another mall patron, for suspicion of kidnapping her children when she left the mall playground with them. This is a fairly upscale mall, (one I hate going to because people there are really snobbish and obnoxious. Cherry Creek for those from Denver) and some woman just assumed that she could not possibly be those kids' mother. It's a LOT more understandable than the idiot kicking someone out of a bookstore for looking at books, but outrageous nevertheless.

Every time someone gets angry about how awful and PC the world is, I want to remind them that this kind of xenophobic BS still goes on daily. Pure ignorance.

Comment

I've heard that about Cherry Creek residents. For the Minnesotans on the board, think Cake-Eater.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Yes, of course, but what does that have to do with the young man who was punished because his family acted up at commencement?
        arbitrary and capricious school administrators showing no sense of context or priority, overzealously being tyrants with no proportion nor humanity?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          arbitrary and capricious school administrators showing no sense of context or priority, overzealously being tyrants with no proportion nor humanity?
          Self-centered teen age a*sholes and their juvenile parents who figure they're the center of the d*mn universe. Tough call, but in the case at hand, I'll side with the school administrators. In your case, it seems like they overreated. The punk was not the only one graduating. If he were, he could have the Florida A & M marching band if he wanted. Other graduates have rights too. No?
          Last edited by Old Pio; 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
            These two things are so different as to be totally incomparable. That policy is totally outrageous, completely unreasonable, and obviously illegal. Also, obviously NOT a company policy. It MIGHT have been a store policy of that particular B&N, but I smell someone trying to cover their own arse.

A few years ago, a friend of mine, who was quite young at the time, for being the mother of 2, had a bunch of tattoos and piercing was stopped by mall security after a "tip" from another mall patron, for suspicion of kidnapping her children when she left the mall playground with them. This is a fairly upscale mall, (one I hate going to because people there are really snobbish and obnoxious. Cherry Creek for those from Denver) and some woman just assumed that she could not possibly be those kids' mother. It's a LOT more understandable than the idiot kicking someone out of a bookstore for looking at books, but outrageous nevertheless.

Every time someone gets angry about how awful and PC the world is, I want to remind them that this kind of xenophobic BS still goes on daily. Pure ignorance.
            Years ago a sheriff in a county south of Houston made a practice of stopping any vehicle heading down to Galveston that displayed a bumper sticker from a Houston head banger radio station. Naturally, a significant percentage of them were, uh, you know. He got away with it for quite awhile until somebody questioned his probable cause. A bumper sticker ain't probable cause for a stop, even in Texas.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Years ago a sheriff in a county south of Houston made a practice of stopping any vehicle heading down to Galveston that displayed a bumper sticker from a Houston head banger radio station. Naturally, a significant percentage of them were, uh, you know. He got away with it for quite awhile until somebody questioned his probable cause. A bumper sticker ain't probable cause for a stop, even in Texas.
              My first car had a Grateful Dead "Steal Your Face" logo (the skull with red/blue in the design) painted on the hood. Rather large. I got stopped a few times just on that (well, they used some BS excuse). I enjoyed watching the cops go, "Uh, um, ok, you can go." No sir, go ahead and test me. I don't do drugs.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                My first car had a Grateful Dead "Steal Your Face" logo (the skull with red/blue in the design) painted on the hood. Rather large. I got stopped a few times just on that (well, they used some BS excuse). I enjoyed watching the cops go, "Uh, um, ok, you can go." No sir, go ahead and test me. I don't do drugs.
                Did you put the logo on the hood, or was it the previous owner?

Comment

Did you put the logo on the hood, or was it the previous owner?
                  I put it on. Well, I had an artist friend paint it. When I sold it to my brother, he added the "flames" (yes, quotes were intentional) and spoiler.

*****https://fbcdn_sphotos_c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182572_3697065738303_83850017_n.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I put it on. Well, I had an artist friend paint it. When I sold it to my brother, he added the "flames" (yes, quotes were intentional) and spoiler.

*****https://fbcdn_sphotos_c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182572_3697065738303_83850017_n.jpg******
                    What was it Eastwood said in "Gran Torino," something about a "big gay spoiler?" You were asking for truble. I can just see Barney Fife wanting a piece of your a*s every time you rolled by.

Comment

I'd be embarrassed to see that car, much less drive it, or god forbid own and drive it.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What was it Eastwood said in "Gran Torino," something about a "big gay spoiler?" You were asking for truble. I can just see Barney Fife wanting a piece of your a*s every time you rolled by.
                        They tried. Too bad we never broke the law.

And my bro knew it looked ridiculous; it's why he put it on. You can't read the side of the car, but it says "2.2 Corsica SS." There used to be a stretch in St Paul where classic cars/hot rods would just cruise for a couple blocks, hours on end, on the weekends. He brought that beast down there. The laughs he got....it was awesome.

Comment

In college I had a red Audi GT Coupe (sounds fancy but it was all of 5 cylinders for Horch's sake) with a small dancing bear, one steal your face and a, "Mankato State" sticker strategically cut to read, "Kato State Man" on the back window. Let's just say I was a cop's wet dream when driving 75 between Mankato and Shakopee or on campus at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            In college I had a red Audi GT Coupe (sounds fancy but it was all of 5 cylinders for Horch's sake) with a small dancing bear, one steal your face and a, "Mankato State" sticker strategically cut to read, "Kato State Man" on the back window. Let's just say I was a cop's wet dream when driving 75 between Mankato and Shakopee or on campus at night.
                            As if any drive to or from Mankato was a speeder's nightmare to begin with (or so I've heard; namely Dubay).

Comment

Dip sh*t Montana high school principal "disinvites" Academy Award winning producer Gerald Molen (Schindler's List) from speaking at commencement because of the obligatory complaining 'phone calls. And because Molen is a "right wing conservative." To make matters worse, the principal didn't inform Molen 'till after he'd driven several hours and arrived on campus. Why is it so many liberals' first response to ideas they don't like is to keep them from being expressed (even though Molen typically talks to kids about the triumph of good and the power of redemption)?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-speech-334409
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Well of course, the contemptible Muslim a*shole "doctor" who murdered all those GI's at Fort Hood, shows up for his court martial wearing a beard. Why do these Muslim pr*cks always want to go native? Here's a newsflash "Doctor," the Army regs are pretty clear when it comes to grooming standards. You either shave that thing off or you'll watch the proceedings from another room. I think maybe somebody ought to show the "doctor" the proper technique for dry shaving in the field.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/08...court-hearing/
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X