Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military History Thread

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    I made a joke at my wife's expense. She loves France and said she wanted to go to Paris. I told her the quickest way was to march in from Berlin. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled with me.
    I remember a joke going around shortly after Reagan went to Normandy for the 40th anniversary of D-Day. Along with French dignitaries were the British and Canadians. Someone commented that it would have been politically correct and reconciliatory to have invited the Germans. Someone then said, "We did invite the Germans, but they showed up 3 days late, and went to Pas de Calais instead".
    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I made a joke at my wife's expense. She loves France and said she wanted to go to Paris. I told her the quickest way was to march in from Berlin. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled with me.
      Actually, it's via Rotterdam and Brussels.

Also, the "Wave" actually started in France in late 1870 / early 1871. French civilians, wanting to show their support of the military, started the surrender gesture at football games.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
        I remember a joke going around shortly after Reagan went to Normandy for the 40th anniversary of D-Day. Along with French dignitaries were the British and Canadians. Someone commented that it would have been politically correct and reconciliatory to have invited the Germans. Someone then said, "We did invite the Germans, but they showed up 3 days late, and went to Pas de Calais instead".
        Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt: A landing at Normandy would be against military logic. It would be against ALL logic.

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 06-22-2012, 05:26 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Figured I'd revive the thread with this.

http://www.collegehumor.com/article/...o-world-war-ii
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

glad you did. I had a great trip this year and visited not only Normandy and a number of little known spots, such as bloody gulch, but also visited the battlefields at Thermopylea, Salamis, leuctra, Marathon, and Pleatea. Now that was interesting.! MOAON AABE!
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              glad you did. I had a great trip this year and visited not only Normandy and a number of little known spots, such as bloody gulch, but also visited the battlefields at Thermopylea, Salamis, leuctra, Marathon, and Pleatea. Now that was interesting.! MOAON AABE!
              I'm officially jealous.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                I'm officially jealous.
                As am I.

The St. Lawrence men's hockey beat writer at the Times is a big war history fan. He goes to air shows all the time and he got his picture with Spitfires and other aircraft. We make jokes about the wars. (He did a good one last night about the Napoleonic wars.)

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Awesome. Post if there are others.

Best contribution I can make is the following (most probably aware of it anyways):

http://www.realclearhistory.com/
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Awesome. Post if there are others.

Best contribution I can make is the following (most probably aware of it anyways):

http://www.realclearhistory.com/
                    Between this and Sporcle, I'll never be productive again.

Comment

Those are real good.
                      One of the coolest spots in Normandy is when you get to St Lo. The bridges over the river all feature a US flag prominently displayed and many places around have signs that say, Welcome, our liberators" That, and the the posts that every kilometer count down the " road to freedom" are really moving.

It's hard to imagine how devastated that town was as you drive into it today.

Right now I'm reading " A Peace to end all Peace" by David Fromkin. About the end of the ottoman empire. This figures in prominently in Greek history which I became a fan of while there.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Those are real good.
                        One of the coolest spots in Normandy is when you get to St Lo. The bridges over the river all feature a US flag prominently displayed and many places around have signs that say, Welcome, our liberators" That, and the the posts that every kilometer count down the " road to freedom" are really moving.

It's hard to imagine how devastated that town was as you drive into it today.

Right now I'm reading " A Peace to end all Peace" by David Fromkin. About the end of the ottoman empire. This figures in prominently in Greek history which I became a fan of while there.
                        Battle of Lepanto
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Welp.

The US Army is dropping its high school diploma requirement.

It’s the most recent announcement from the military branch.

The news came after the Army had difficulty with its enlisting numbers.
                          TIL there had been a HS diploma requirement for joining the US Army.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X