Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military History Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    But such a waste of a whole generation of youth! It was Civil War tactics against modern weapons. Slaughter.
    And the sense that it made inevitable an even worse conflict. With civilians the targets of strategic bombing and all the rest. The vengeful allies sought to punish Germany at Versailles, and virtually guaranteed the rise of Hitler or someone like him. A.J.P. Taylor, in his excellent "The Origins of the Second World War," lays it all out. Criticized initially as being "pro-Hitler," Taylor's book is now understood to be seminal.

In WWII the allies crushed German Naziism, Japanese militrism and Italian facism. No such sense of accomplishment followed the end of WWI. The map of Europe was redrawn, some empires were toppled, but not much else. Whereas, despite fifty years of cold war (which the west won), we have only to look to the world community to see the place peaceful prosperous and democratic Germany, Japan and Italy occupy.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      And the sense that it made inevitable an even worse conflict. With civilians the targets of strategic bombing and all the rest. The vengeful allies sought to punish Germany at Versailles, and virtually guaranteed the rise of Hitler or someone like him. A.J.P. Taylor, in his excellent "The Origins of the Second World War," lays it all out. Criticized initially as being "pro-Hitler," Taylor's book is now understood to be seminal.

In WWII the allies crushed German Naziism, Japanese militrism and Italian facism. No such sense of accomplishment followed the end of WWI. The map of Europe was redrawn, some empires were toppled, but not much else. Whereas, despite fifty years of cold war (which the west won), we have only to look to the world community to see the place peaceful prosperous and democratic Germany, Japan and Italy occupy.
      I thought a majority of French generals wanted to go to Berlin and crush Germany once and for all, but that was voted down. I remember John Manynard Keynes calculated that the reparations would take at least until the 90s to be paid back.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        I thought a majority of French generals wanted to go to Berlin and crush Germany once and for all, but that was voted down. I remember John Manynard Keynes calculated that the reparations would take at least until the 90s to be paid back.
        That may be true, I hadn't read that. A French version of the Morgenthau Plan. After the armistice they devoted their free time to surrender practice against the blitzkrieg, at which they became the best in the world. IIRC, it was General Gamelin's HQ that had no radio or telephone capability. In "M*A*S*H" there was a running gag where Bobby Troop would say: "G*d D*amn army." That about covers it.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

That may be true, I hadn't read that. A French version of the Morganthau Plan. However, they devoted their free time to surrender practice against the blitzkrieg, at which they became the best in the world. IIRC, it was General Gamelin's HQ that had no radio or telephone capability. In "M*A*S*H" there was a running gag where Bobby Troop would say: "G*d D*amn army." That about covers it.
          I made a joke at my wife's expense. She loves France and said she wanted to go to Paris. I told her the quickest way was to march in from Berlin. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled with me.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I made a joke at my wife's expense. She loves France and said she wanted to go to Paris. I told her the quickest way was to march in from Berlin. Needless to say, she wasn't thrilled with me.
            There's that line in "Casablanca" where Claude Rains tells Major Strasser he was with the blundering Americans when they "blundered into Berlin" in the last war. Innacurate, of course, but he was making a very valid point. Or as Admiral Yamamoto may have said: "I fear all we have done is to waken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Whether he said it or not, it was certainly true.*

I first saw "Tora, Tora, Tora" (an international version) in Tokyo, which my old man, who had been an Army surgeon in the Pacific found, uh, ironic.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Well Keynes was off at least by a few years.

My favorite Clemenceau story is that he wanted be buried facing Germany so he could always keep an eye on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Titleist View Post
                Well Keynes was off at least by a few years.

My favorite Clemenceau story is that he wanted be buried facing Germany so he could always keep an eye on them.
                Buried face down, no doubt, knowing what was coming sooner or later.

Comment

For that I think we have to give great credit to George Marshall and Harry Truman. They saw a vacuum and knew that something would fill it quickly, and so they had the US step forward with generosity and forgiveness ("It was never you, people, with whom we were at war, it was merely your feckless leaders. Now that they are gone, we can be friends."). Tremendous foresight.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

George C. Scott, as General George S. Patton Jr.:
                    The Carthaginians defending the city were attacked by three Roman legions. The Carthaginians were proud and brave but they couldn't hold. They were massacred. Arab women stripped them of their tunics and their swords and lances. The soldiers lay naked in the sun. Two thousand years ago. I was here.
                    Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                      George C. Scott, as General George S. Patton Jr.:
                      "Carthago delenda est"
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

"Carthago delenda est"
                        And it was.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          For that I think we have to give great credit to George Marshall and Harry Truman. They saw a vacuum and knew that something would fill it quickly, and so they had the US step forward with generosity and forgiveness ("It was never you, people, with whom we were at war, it was merely your feckless leaders. Now that they are gone, we can be friends."). Tremendous foresight.
                          Yes, certainly. Give some credit also to Douglas MacArthur, whose enlightened administration of Japan paved the way for the peaceful, democratic nation we know today.

Comment

Yes, certainly. Give some credit also to Douglas MacArthur, whose enlightened administration of Japan paved the way for the peaceful, democratic nation we know today.
                            It fit Gen. MacArthur's personality to a T. He was the Shogun.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Watch an excellent British produced documentary called The First World War. I didn't realize how new some of the techniques and weapons that were used in that war. I also gained a lot of respect for Marshal Foch of France. He was only 65 days off of his prediction of a Second World War.
                              That is an excellent, excellent series. There is this haunting image in my head of this dressed up soldier standing in front of this normally dressed woman who was executed, hanging there like she was dragged out of her house and strangled. That picture was in one of the early episodes about all the genocide type things that happened early in the war in he Balkans. It just crushes me that humans treat other humans as if they are from another planet and kill them because of their heritage. It's been a flaw in mankind since sin entered the world. The "smarter" we get as no effect on this flaw. I just don't know why we all can't get along....(I do know why, but that's for another thread.)
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It fit Gen. MacArthur's personality to a T. He was the Shogun.
                                William Manchester titled his biography of MacArthur "American Caesar." Also on the nose.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X