Military History Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History Thread

Surprised no one has made a thread out of this yet, but I'll do it. I know we had a generals thread, but I wanted to expand on it.

This year is the 200th anniversary of one of the more underscrutinized wars and that is The War of 1812. Being from Upstate NY, this war has significance because some of the battles were only less than a 20 drive from me.

I know that the Revolution, Civil War and WWII are the big ones, but I love the history of WWI and other conflicts.

This is thread to discuss battles, tactics, generals and other things. Please do keep the conflicts somewhat civil and no guerrilla tactics.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Re: Military History Thread

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    Surprised no one has made a thread out of this yet, but I'll do it. I know we had a generals thread, but I wanted to expand on it.

This year is the 200th anniversary of one of the more underscrutinized wars and that is The War of 1812. Being from Upstate NY, this war has significance because some of the battles were only less than a 20 drive from me.

I know that the Revolution, Civil War and WWII are the big ones, but I love the history of WWI and other conflicts.

This is thread to discuss battles, tactics, generals and other things. Please do keep the conflicts somewhat civil and no guerrilla tactics.
    Ah, the ol' Bridge Street bridge.

Comment

So the War of Northern Oppression is fair game?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Toledo War anyone?

Comment

In AP US History our favorite was the Aroostook War.

Comment

What about the Spanish-American war? Many argue the sinking of the Maine was an accident, self inflicted, which resulted in a manufactured war. We got the Phillipines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico for it, and kept just Puerto Rico.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              What about the Spanish-American war? Many argue the sinking of the Maine was an accident, self inflicted, which resulted in a manufactured war. We got the Phillipines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico for it, and kept just Puerto Rico.
              Shoulda kept Cuba too.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Lincoln County War was an interesting one, featuring folks like Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  So the War of Northern Oppression is fair game?
                  I thought is was the War of Northern Aggression..

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Shoulda kept Cuba too.
                  Except that the American people were all for the Cubans fighting to liberate themselves from the oppressive Spanish government. The Hearst chain was very good at sensationalism and some have attributed the war to the propaganda in the Hearst papers. There was no way we were going to keep Cuba.

FWIW, after we got the Phillipines, we had to put down the natives (mostly the Moslems) that did not like one form of colonial oppressor over another. Some interesting developments came out of the Spanish American War:
                  The US Army was equipped with the Krag rifle, that was essentially a single shot breach loader. The Spanish had Mausers that had a magazine. Figuring out the a magazine was good, led to the development of the '03 Springfield which was used by the Armed forces up until WW-II when it was replaced by the M-1 Garand.
                  Waterboarding got its start there as an interrogation technique on the Filipinos
                  And the Army developed the .45 pistol. The Filipino natives were too hyped up on juice for the .38 (?) service revolver to knock them down so the Army came up with a .45 caliber round that could knock anyone down (and blow big holes in them in the process).
                  Oh, and John Philip Sousa wrote "Stars and Stripes Forever" and Kipling wrote "The White Man's Burden" both a result of the War.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I thought is was the War of Northern Aggression..
                    ****. You're right.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Except that the American people were all for the Cubans fighting to liberate themselves from the oppressive Spanish government. The Hearst chain was very good at sensationalism and some have attributed the war to the propaganda in the Hearst papers. There was no way we were going to keep Cuba.

FWIW, after we got the Phillipines, we had to put down the natives (mostly the Moslems) that did not like one form of colonial oppressor over another. Some interesting developments came out of the Spanish American War:
                      The US Army was equipped with the Krag rifle, that was essentially a single shot breach loader. The Spanish had Mausers that had a magazine. Figuring out the a magazine was good, led to the development of the '03 Springfield which was used by the Armed forces up until WW-II when it was replaced by the M-1 Garand.
                      Waterboarding got its start there as an interrogation technique on the Filipinos
                      And the Army developed the .45 pistol. The Filipino natives were too hyped up on juice for the .38 (?) service revolver to knock them down so the Army came up with a .45 caliber round that could knock anyone down (and blow big holes in them in the process).
                      Oh, and John Philip Sousa wrote "Stars and Stripes Forever" and Kipling wrote "The White Man's Burden" both a result of the War.
                      Wasn't there also some issue with the smokeless powder that the Spanish used vs. big clouds of smoke that our rounds produced? IIRC, I've seen that issue brought up in documentaries I've watched.

There's some interesting pictures in the Ponce History Museum- the landings were about 40 miles to the west of Ponce, and it was fairly peaceful in Puerto Rico. It took over 50 years before the Puerto Rican's got some kind of status- as US citizens, but they are not a state- but a "free association". Not sure what it was between 1898 and 1951, and how citizens were viewed (they did fight in every war, and up until recently, there were US bases on Puerto Rico- where they did live fire training on Culebra and Vieques).

Comment

Oh, and since this thread isn't titled to be excusively about the US, the story about Finland in WWII is pretty interesting. How they did a job on the Soviets w/o help from Germany, and even after the Germans came to help, once the final push came, Finland did much to separate themselves.

While there was some support for the Nazis, the general feeling was to fight off the Soviets over any thing for Germany. And, Finland was the only German ally that did not get occupied by anyone, particularly the Soviets- since they attacked multiple times, and were fought off.

Yoopers should know all about this.

Comment

I think it was Charles Foster Kane who said: "You provide the prose poems. . .I'll provide the war."
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Wasn't there also some issue with the smokeless powder that the Spanish used vs. big clouds of smoke that our rounds produced? IIRC, I've seen that issue brought up in documentaries I've watched.

There's some interesting pictures in the Ponce History Museum- the landings were about 40 miles to the west of Ponce, and it was fairly peaceful in Puerto Rico. It took over 50 years before the Puerto Rican's got some kind of status- as US citizens, but they are not a state- but a "free association". Not sure what it was between 1898 and 1951, and how citizens were viewed (they did fight in every war, and up until recently, there were US bases on Puerto Rico- where they did live fire training on Culebra and Vieques).
                            The enthusiasm for Puerto Rican statehood diminished somewhat in the 50's when a bunch of 'em opened fire from the gallery and shot 5 congressmen.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Oh, and since this thread isn't titled to be excusively about the US, the story about Finland in WWII is pretty interesting. How they did a job on the Soviets w/o help from Germany, and even after the Germans came to help, once the final push came, Finland did much to separate themselves.

While there was some support for the Nazis, the general feeling was to fight off the Soviets over any thing for Germany. And, Finland was the only German ally that did not get occupied by anyone, particularly the Soviets- since they attacked multiple times, and were fought off.

Yoopers should know all about this.
                              I read a "pamphlet" that was a study (it was essentially a book) by the US Military about this whole Finnish/Russian/German situation in WWII and that was very, very interesting reading. I also read a "pamphlet" on German small units tactics in Russia in WWII put out by the Army, an awesome read as well.

I just read "Chancellorsville" by S. Sears. The whole backstory about what a mess Burnside had turned the Army of the Potomac into and how Hooker totally ressurected it was facinating. Hooker was so close to beating Lee, but inept Corps Commanders and too many communications issues with the telegraphs doomed him. Even after he was stuuned by that shell, had he had excellent Corps Commanders they still could have carried the day. Now I'm reading Gettysburg again; understanding Chansellorsville lays another level of understandingto the opening moves of Lee and Hooker.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                              X