Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military History Thread

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Wasn't there also some issue with the smokeless powder that the Spanish used vs. big clouds of smoke that our rounds produced? IIRC, I've seen that issue brought up in documentaries I've watched.

There's some interesting pictures in the Ponce History Museum- the landings were about 40 miles to the west of Ponce, and it was fairly peaceful in Puerto Rico. It took over 50 years before the Puerto Rican's got some kind of status- as US citizens, but they are not a state- but a "free association". Not sure what it was between 1898 and 1951, and how citizens were viewed (they did fight in every war, and up until recently, there were US bases on Puerto Rico- where they did live fire training on Culebra and Vieques).
    Apparantly the "shooters" in Dealey Plaza hadn't gotten the memo about smokeless powder, since many of the "witnesses" described seeing "puffs of smoke."
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
      In AP US History our favorite was the Aroostook War.
      In European History my favorite was the War of the Schmalkaldic League, ending in the equally fun Religious Peace of Augsburg. Cuius regio, eius religio will win you bar bets, if you go to the right bars.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Oh, and since this thread isn't titled to be excusively about the US, the story about Finland in WWII is pretty interesting. How they did a job on the Soviets w/o help from Germany, and even after the Germans came to help, once the final push came, Finland did much to separate themselves.

While there was some support for the Nazis, the general feeling was to fight off the Soviets over any thing for Germany. And, Finland was the only German ally that did not get occupied by anyone, particularly the Soviets- since they attacked multiple times, and were fought off.

Yoopers should know all about this.
        That was a big part of the Finnish-American history class I took at NMU. The Winter War is documented well.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Agreed. I've always thought Finland was in a really tough spot during WW2 and made the best of it that they could.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            So the War of Northern Oppression is fair game?
            I prefer to call it the War to Free African-Americans.

Anyways, all wars are fair game.
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post

Yes, mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean you have to focus on them!
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Another favorite: the 38-minute long war.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Another favorite: the 38-minute long war.
                  Check out the casualties listed for that: British - 1 wounded. Zanzibar - 500 killed or wounded, 3 boats sunk, one shore battery destroyed.

Comment

Perhaps the best example in our history where political expediency and doing the right thing came together.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      Perhaps the best example in our history where political expediency and doing the right thing came together.
                      That move took Lord Palmerston and the Brits plus the French out of play. Whatever the motivation, it worked.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Watch an excellent British produced documentary called The First World War. I didn't realize how new some of the techniques and weapons that were used in that war. I also gained a lot of respect for Marshal Foch of France. He was only 65 days off of his prediction of a Second World War.

Comment

Watch an excellent British produced documentary called The First World War. I didn't realize how new some of the techniques and weapons that were used in that war. I also gained a lot of respect for Marshal Foch of France. He was only 65 days off of his prediction of a Second World War.
                          A terrific series which the Military Channel replays frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            A terrific series which the Military Channel replays frequently.
                            Since I work at nights mostly and the wife is away teaching during most of the year, it's a great channel to watch. Like I said at the start of the thread, I like WWI history a lot. Some of the strategy was just plain head-scratching. Also, I think the U.S. doesn't really talk about the war since we were in it for about a quarter of it (1917-18). I also didn't know that America didn't really want to listen to what their "Associated Power" brethren had to say. (America wasn't actually part of the Allies in that war.)

Comment

But such a waste of a whole generation of youth! It was Civil War tactics against modern weapons. Slaughter.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

sauna save the day against the Soviets. Seriously.

August 1914 is a great book about the beginnings of WW I from the Russian perspective. long slog but fascinating reading nevertheless.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X