The Most Serious [x] Problem We Face Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Serious [x] Problem We Face Today

In various ways in various threads, we've touched upon some serious problems facing us. Here's a place where we can gather some ideas together and brainstorm some ways to address them.

For example, one might say that "the most serious infrastructure problem we face today is that politicians cannot name repairs and upkeep after themselves, and so necessary maintenance budgets are starved so unnecessary showy projects can be built instead."

Or one might say that "the most serious educational problem we face today is that the primary responsibilities of schools are day care and pension funding, not teaching."

or "the most serious budgetary problem we face today resides in distracting arguments over symbolic tax increases or lack thereof, when any sober look at the magnitude of the situation makes it abundantly clear that no amount of tax revenue ever will be enough; our current spending levels are simply not sustainable, yet the only serious proposal on the table to address them is met with vilification, not a counter-offer."

In a bit I'll post what seems to me is the most serious significant economic / financial problem we face today, one that seems only to get passing mention in the news, buried here and there now and then, but is a ticking time bomb with incredibly huge potential consequences.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: The Most Serious [x] Problem We Face Today

I worry most about a Quebecios invasion... But if we line up enough butter and gravy on the border we should be safe.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I'm worried about a midget invasion from the UP of Michigan. They're breeding them up there for battle, I just know it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I believe the letter x is the most serious problem we have today. (not sure why I think that)
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          I believe the letter x is the most serious problem we have today. (not sure why I think that)
          X-rated, the unknown X factor, Malcolm X, even X Marks The Spot can be scary.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            I worry most about a Quebecios invasion... But if we line up enough butter and gravy on the border we should be safe.
            Ah, stop your poutine.
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
              Ah, stop your poutine.
              Here's a picture from the last Canadian protest. I don't think we have to worry about anything:

*****http://i.imgur.com/GJskk.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                Ah, stop your poutine.
                There needs to be a great poutine wall... from the wilds of New York to the wilds of Maine... lake to shiny obscure wetland border north of Houlton and east of Fort Kent.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

We can end the wars, we can print money, we can let people marry furniture if they want, we can give everybody a personal doctor but we can't cure stupid and we are producing legions of incapable young people. They have no financial skills, few job skills, no sense of work ethic and a healthy belief that there is nothing they can do about it coupled with a confidence the country will take care of them.

We have great students too and the average may not seem terrible, but the volume of poorly prepared people will become a huge problem...all they will be equipped for are jobs they wouldn't stoop to perform.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

It seems to me that the most serious economic / financial problem we face today is the pending shift away from the dollar as the world's reserve currency. You see indications that this shift already is well under way and is most likely irreversible.

Last week, our faithful '94 Camry stopped running, 90 miles from home. Thanks to AAA and their 100 miles of free towing, we were able to bring it to our trusty local mechanic. Along the way I had a chance to converse with the tow-truck driver. He was worried about this problem, too. He had already bought property in another country as a hedge and had set up a local bank account there, denominated in the local currency.

The rest of the world is rightly concerned that one way we are going to address our national debt problem is to inflate it away. Bernanke's Fed has embarked on unprecedented monetary easing. The latent inflation potential is quite scary; and as the rest of the world moves away from the dollar, the potential energy of the pending inflation surge continues to grow.

If we acknowledge this problem pro-actively and work with other countries to mitigate the consequences, it may be difficult but not too difficult. If we continue to whistle past the graveyard, then one day the accumulation of small shifts will reach a tipping point, and the adjustment will be sudden, swift, and severe.

All those people who think they are buying gold as a hedge, really aren't, since they don't have physical possession of the gold; it is merely stored in their name in electronic entry form, which makes it quite easy to seize in a "national emergency."

Now, I'm not predicting any of this will happen; I am merely saying it is more than prudent to be prepared for this contingency, just in case. If there is a 10% likelihood that it may happen, that is worth protecting against.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The most serious problem we face today is the elimination of energy technology we have today in order to attempt to coerce future energy technology.

Comment

The most serious issue we face is the popularity of religion and politics. Both of these things need to be eliminated before they destroy our country from within.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

asteroids. It's asteroids.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            asteroids. It's asteroids.
                            asteroids? Is that what the Mayan's predicted to hit us in December?

Time to get some new hard hats.

Comment

well it's hard to be too serious about this but let me try. Over the decades the American people have risen to the challenge of whatever. I expect they will again.So I'm optimistic in the long term. Having said that society is much less family centric than it used to be. I think we as a group have to find ways of making it possible for children to thrive in a more diverse, less well off environment.
                              I also see international relations as a serious threat. If you read what Chinese leaders write, it's pretty disquieting, and the actions of certain groups in trying to destroy the west are equally concerning.
                              But most importantly it's High fructose corn syrup that is the biggest threat, no question.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                              X