X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I distrust all career politicians of either party.
    And yet you only seem to post things critical of Democrats...guess there are no "career politicians" in the Republican party...

Comment

um, how would you describe a person who is inspired by Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Jr., and John Kennedy's rhetoric?
      Unfaithful?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

um, how would you describe a person who is inspired by Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Jr., and John Kennedy's rhetoric?
        I liked Reagan quite a bit. McCain too. Heck toss in Nixon before the fall. Doesn't make me a card carrying elephant. You protest too much, sir and your rhetoric gives you away regarding where you stay at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          You protest too much, sir
          yeah, in retrospect, any response to his baiting at all was "too much."

You do have to admit, though, he is a master baiter!
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I found a table that shows what income tax rates are currently, and to what level they are scheduled to increase in 2013.

Income level:

Over $388,350: 35% / 39.6%

$217,450-388,350: 33% / 36%

$142,700-217,450: 28% / 31%

$70,700-142,700: 25% / 28%

$17,400-70,700: 15% / 15%

Dividends: 15% / 43.4%

Capital gains: 15% / 23.8%

Estate tax: 35% / 55%

Notice that, on a percentage bases, the increases are higher as you move down the scale until you get to the lowest bracket. Or to paraphrase, when the existing tax rate structure was implemented, the tax cuts favored middle income people over highest income people.
            Last edited by FreshFish; 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Unfaithful?
              Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

Very nice.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The partisanship on all of these boards ensures that people who are truly open minded go elsewhere. We who remain have declared our allegiances. I don't know why FF feels he has to hide that he drinks the righty Kool Aid. Maybe he's embarrassed. But from his posts he's obvious.

The only frequent poster on these threads who might actually change his vote depending on the candidate may be Scooby, who seems to treat the entire thing as a battle royale between Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth. Everybody else is obvious in their red or blue leotard.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The only frequent poster on these threads who might actually change his vote depending on the candidate may be Scooby, who seems to treat the entire thing as a battle royale between Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth. Everybody else is obvious in their red or blue leotard.
                  Perhaps. I would have voted for Reagan in his 2nd term were I old enough (born in ’67), I've voted for a Bush, voted for Pawlenty once, voted for Coleman once, voted for Arne Carlson and I would have voted for McCain had he beat out Junior. I did vote for Obama last time, but and I am now considering a write-in. My posts may say otherwise at times - perhaps certain topics get my dander up more than others.
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

"The fact that he keeps telling you he's not a pervert, means he's a pervert."

If I was a gambling man, I'd be putting money on Obama right now. For some reason confidence in his reelection has temporarily waned, to where he's about a 53% winner on Intrade. It's irrational pessimism, there's no way he loses come November.
                    (You're welcome.)
                    I will freely admit to being a Democratic, but not necessarily beyond 2012. The Republicans might field an actual conservative one day, then I'd have to switch again.

*likely due to a coincidence of items of bad news.
                    Last edited by geezer; 06-08-2012, 07:43 AM.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

had the exact opposite feeling than you Geezer. if I were betting I'd lay odds on Romney. disaster last two weeks for Obama. if Wisconsin and Michigan are truly "in play" states, electorally there is no way Obama wins. still early though. the Supremes health care ruling later this month will be big. and I'm getting the feeling even Dems aren't into Obama.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

. Everybody else is obvious in their red or blue leotard.
                        You left out us Ron Paul whack jobs
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Hell, I'm pretty liberal at this point and voted for Abraham over Stabenow in '00, Fred Upton 2 of the last 3 times and Snyder in 2010.

I also vote for the Green Party, Communist party, Reform party and American Constitutional parties when I vote for trustees for Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State.

*****http://25.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png******
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            You left out us Ron Paul whack jobs
                            I was counting them as red, but I guess they get their own color. Whatever the von Mises Insitute's flag is, or the color of the inside of Murray Rothbard's rectum.

Aside: Murray Rothbard's Rectum is a good name for a band.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 06-08-2012, 09:09 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The partisanship on all of these boards ensures that people who are truly open minded go elsewhere. We who remain have declared our allegiances. I don't know why FF feels he has to hide that he drinks the righty Kool Aid. Maybe he's embarrassed. But from his posts he's obvious.

Love Lovecraft.

I can say for 100% certainty that I will be voting for someone different this year than I did in 2008..
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So impatience with stupidity and outrage over venality is now considered "partisan"? You have an "interesting" dictionary, my friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X