This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Well, one group took a look at that "everyone takes it up the poopshoot" deal they made last year to slash entitlements and the military, and immediately went to work passing bills exempting the military from being slashed.

I blame them more because the Senate Majority Leader doesn't actually know how to do his job. Is there some reason the Dems pick a weak ineffectual leader from a red or purple state every time they're running the Senate? Last 4 Republican leaders> Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Dems should be countering with Northeastern and west coast senators that can say what they want and don't have to fear losing their seat.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I found Barack Obama's twin brother, separated at birth! Possibly also born in Kenya, or an undisclosed location at sea. He's going under the name Ubaldo Jimenez.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Well, one group took a look at that "everyone takes it up the poopshoot" deal they made last year to slash entitlements and the military, and immediately went to work passing bills exempting the military from being slashed.

I blame them more because the Senate Majority Leader doesn't actually know how to do his job. Is there some reason the Dems pick a weak ineffectual leader from a red or purple state every time they're running the Senate? Last 4 Republican leaders> Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Dems should be countering with Northeastern and west coast senators that can say what they want and don't have to fear losing their seat.
        Can you name one who won't cause your teeth to itch like when you hear nails on a chalkboard??
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Can you name one who won't cause your teeth to itch like when you hear nails on a chalkboard??
          They're going to be standing next to a turtle anyway, so they should be jumpy like a hare.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Sheldon Whitehouse, Ron Wyden, Patty Murray

Comment

Which is the dude from Oregon that keeps pocket vetoing all the anti-internet privacy stuff? I like him.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                And yet, Bush 43 remains the worst (or at least most irresponsible) combination of fiscal and monetary policies in my lifetime.
                You can't blame a president for monetary policy unless you are prepared to make an argument that the president can control the Fed.

Comment

Which is the dude from Oregon that keeps pocket vetoing all the anti-internet privacy stuff? I like him.
                  Wyden

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                    You can't blame a president for monetary policy unless you are prepared to make an argument that the president can control the Fed.
                    You can and you can't. Since the president appoints the Chairman of the Fed to four year terms there can be blamed placed, but that chairman may already be in place by the time a president is in office. If that president then renominates said chairman, then both he and the previous president would have to share in that blame. Blame could even be placed even more so upon the second president for renominating that chairman because by that time there's not so much doubt as to what that chairman will do, it's a matter of whether or not he's receiving an approval of executing his job.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      You can and you can't. Since the president appoints the Chairman of the Fed to four year terms there can be blamed placed, but that chairman may already be in place by the time a president is in office. If that president then renominates said chairman, then both he and the previous president would have to share in that blame. Blame could even be placed even more so upon the second president for renominating that chairman because by that time there's not so much doubt as to what that chairman will do, it's a matter of whether or not he's receiving an approval of executing his job.
                      That's true up to a point. POTUS does not make monetary policy, and the Fed can do whatever it wants in that regard, regardless of what assurances a nominee for chairman (or a reappointed chairman) may have made.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Saw a bit of the recall last night. Ari Fleisher suggested that Wisconsin is a swing state even though there was an 11% point gap between those who would said they would vote for Obama vs. Romney. His position was because having Walker win by 9% points the 'exit polls were way off' when he was ahead by about 16% pts. I don't know if Fleisher caught that only 1% of votes were in when he made that statement...and last check now, Walker is ahead by just 7% points.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I wouldn't take anything out of the exit polls and extrapolate to November, as they were clearly inaccurate.

Comment

I wouldn't take anything out of the exit polls and extrapolate to November, as they were clearly inaccurate.
                            Right. The final number they came up with after recalculation was Obama 51-44. He's winning Wisconsin, I'm willing to stipulate that up front. But Obama +7 in WI is a 7 point drop from his '08 margin. That happens nationwide and ruh-roh.

Comment

Just as significant as WI last night:

San Jose voters Tuesday handed Mayor Chuck Reed a crucial victory with his nationally watched pension reform measure passing by a decisive margin.

It was a big night for pension reform, with a San Diego measure also winning by a wide margin. City employee unions who argued the measures are illegal were expected to challenge both in court.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                                Right. The final number they came up with after recalculation was Obama 51-44. He's winning Wisconsin, I'm willing to stipulate that up front. But Obama +7 in WI is a 7 point drop from his '08 margin. That happens nationwide and ruh-roh.
                                To look at it another way. Obama's 7 pt gap is right on the nose for how state polls have had him over the last few weeks. If swing state polls are either as accurate or at least not bias towards either candidate and hold, Obama wins by 100 EV. So yes, a ruh-roh could well be in order.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X