X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Right.

Once again, the previous president, not this one.
    Both fell under this. I specifically remember the news reports from February/March of 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
      The Washing Post has already debunked these numbers. In fact they gave it Three Pinocchios
      I wish you hadn't said that. Now Major's gonna post them 35 more times.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Heard an interesting story about Valejo, CA on the Beeb this morning. They are coming back from bankruptcy (they were a Navy town that lost its base) and like most of CA their main problems are (1) the cops are too expensive, and (2) the taxes are too low (Suffolk County in NY has the same problem, too, and it may be the general problem for all middle class suburbs). They actually voted through a 1% tax increase in themselves to help balance the books. People can be responsible. Sometimes.

It was mentioned that Gov. "California Uber Alles" Brown is using the CA direct initiative to try to get around the supermajority rule for tax hikes that has basically destroyed the entire CA economy (a revenue bill needs 67% in each chamber; Dems hold about 60% in each and CA Republicans are lock-step with Grover). The initiative asks voters to approve a tax hike. The smart part is that it lays out exactly what Brown will cut if it fails. In a way conservatives (well, honorable ones) should approve the method - it's essentially like user fees, either you buy it or it goes away. By the rules of the CA constitution it only takes a simple majority to approve a state constitutional amendment.

I don't understand why they don't just put up a direct initiative to restore the simple majority on revenue bills in the state leg. That's the way it was up until Prop 13 (IIRC).
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-05-2012, 07:24 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Best headline ever. Who could resist clicking on it?

edit: they changed it! This morning it was simply, "Bill Clinton Out of Control."
          Last edited by geezer; 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Best headline ever. Who could resist clicking on it?
            That story had no spooging on fat chicks or their dresses. I feel disappointed in the headline.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I don't understand why they don't just put up a direct initiative to restore the simple majority on revenue bills in the state leg. That's the way it was up until Prop 13 (IIRC).
              Because that direct initiative would fail?
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                Because that direct initiative would fail?
                Would it? If you only need a simple majority in an initiative, and 60% of the people of the state are having their voice nullified by 40% in the state leg, it might pass, particularly if you paired it with a balanced budget mandate.

(BTW, upon further review, it wasn't Prop 13 that mandated the supermajority, and I realize the personal property provisions of Prop 13 are still very popular.)
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Would it? If you only need a simple majority in an initiative, and 60% of the people of the state are having their voice nullified by 40% in the state leg, it might pass, particularly if you paired it with a balanced budget mandate.

(BTW, upon further review, it wasn't Prop 13 that mandated the supermajority, and I realize the personal property provisions of Prop 13 are still very popular.)
                  If 40% are opposed to a law, is it a good law to begin with (thanks to R. Heinlein for that one)???
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A group opposing it would simply point out that voting for it would allow the nasty government to raise taxes on you much more easily and it's better to make them come to a 2/3 agreement to do such a travesty.

It would fail by about that same 2-1 margin.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      If 40% are opposed to a law, is it a good law to begin with (thanks to R. Heinlein for that one)???
                      Let's ask residents of the Confederacy, circa 1965.

Comment

the Congressional Budget Office weighs in on the deficit:

The CBO's long-term budget outlook notes that federal debt held by the public—the kind we have to pay back—will surge to 70% of the economy by the end of this year. That's the highest share of GDP in U.S. history except World War II, as the nearby chart indicates, higher than during the Civil War or World War I. It's also way up from 40% in 2008 and from the 40-year average of 38%.

And it's rising fast. CBO says that on present trend the national debt will hit 90% of GDP by 2022. It then balloons to 109% by 2026—that would be the all-time WWII peak—and approaches almost 200% of GDP by 2037.
                        http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          the Congressional Budget Office weighs in on the deficit:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop
                          It's all Bush 43's fault?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

And yet whenever the chance comes to address the issue, House Republicans choose to take their ball and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              And yet whenever the chance comes to address the issue, House Republicans choose to take their ball and go home.
                              The Senate Majority Leader is not exactly blameless, either.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                It's all Bush 43's fault?
                                Stuff like this makes me really uneasy. It reminds me of the old saying "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

Democrats, and Obama in particular, have gotten a lot of use out of "It's Bush's fault." And yet, Bush 43 remains the worst (or at least most irresponsible) combination of fiscal and monetary policies in my lifetime. Easily.

I know you have a point. It's just hard to laugh.
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X