This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

It needs to be clear to everyone that jobs supported by stimulus funding (taxes) aren't actually real jobs to anyone but the person working it. It's been illustrated that each such job removes the opportunity for two of its equivalent jobs from the private sector via the tax burden being spread around to support it. In other words: it's a complete waste of money. As the "false security" of stimulus jobs disappears, people will have to re-learn capitalism. It may, however, be too late to save the American experiment. Our debt is mind mindbogglingly enormous, if you slow down enough to glance over at it.
    Unfortunately, instant gratification (free lunch) always wins out over sensibility.

In other words, it's great for those extra teachers who are working, but there are at least two people on unemployment somewhere for every one of them.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
      It's been illustrated that each such job removes the opportunity for two of its equivalent jobs from the private sector via the tax burden being spread around to support it.
      Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        I can understand that, particularly if you consume any of the MSM, for whom the "gender gap" is an article of faith.
        I really don't pay attention to political news anymore to be completely honest. Well, at least not as much as I used to pay attention. I think my breaking point was the shutdown in Minnesota last year. I'm more interested in the economics and business side of things now.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          Source?
          Two economists in Ohio. A study which has been debunked.

Really, this isn't the sort of thing worth wasting time over.
          So naturally certain people have taken it as the gospel truth.

Comment

Maybe this can be where Romney films his next ad:

Mitt Romney’s big green flop

A Bay State solar panel developer that landed a state loan from Mitt Romney when he was Massachusetts governor has gone belly up — a day after the GOP presidential hopeful ripped President Obama’s green-energy investments.

Lowell-based Konarka Technologies announced late yesterday that it filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will cease operations, lay off its 85 workers and liquidate.

“Konarka has been unable to obtain additional financing, and given its current financial condition, it is unable to continue operations,” CEO Howard Berke said in a statement. “This is a tragedy for Konarka’s shareholders and employees and for the development of alternative energy in the United States.”

The demise of Konarka could become a hot topic on the campaign trail because Romney personally doled out a $1.5 million renewable energy subsidy to the Lowell startup in 2003, shortly after taking office on Beacon Hill.

And on Thursday the GOP candidate was stumping outside the shuttered Solyndra solar-panel factory in California, blasting the Obama administration’s $535 million loan as a symbol of “crony capitalism.”

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
              Next PTO meeting, ask them how many administrators they have per student. Then go to a private school, and ask the same question.

They'll charge fees for sports but won't consolidate districts or cut admin staff.
              It would be nice if we fit into your perception but we do not. They have cut the number of admins, consolidated some schools and reached out to other systems to see if they can share costs. The result is chaos despite having a very good stupidintendent who has been creative in managing resources. You cannot have 600+ students and expect it to work without a vice-principal. You cannot lose dept heads, guidance counselors and people in the admin building without impact. You cannot consolidate schools and expect one staff to carry almost double the load. We were already at bare bones before the last round of cuts.

As I get more knowledgeable about how to look at what is going on I get more distressed at the current state of things. It looks amazing on paper that we balance the budget but not amazing if your kid is in the system. They are cutting some Honors classes and AP classes next yr. The JHS is losing foreign language as they do not have enought teachers for it. We are losing good teachers because the level of support v the work load is not commensurate. Class size is projected to be about 30 next yr. This yr my kids Honors classes had somewhere around 28 kids. They don't get some subjects regularly that other towns teach on a yrly basis.- Gym is 2 semsters, Health is 2 semsters in HS. Not more. I could go on but the point is this is not manufactured out of a bunch of extra admins. It is from a cessation of financial support that has made the situation unmanageable. If we had been functioning in a less responsible way we would have something to cut. We weren't and we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                It would be nice if we fit into your perception but we do not. They have cut the number of admins, consolidated some schools and reached out to other systems to see if they can share costs. The result is chaos despite having a very good stupidintendent who has been creative in managing resources. You cannot have 600+ students and expect it to work without a vice-principal. You cannot lose dept heads, guidance counselors and people in the admin building without impact. You cannot consolidate schools and expect one staff to carry almost double the load. We were already at bare bones before the last round of cuts.

As I get more knowledgeable about how to look at what is going on I get more distressed at the current state of things. It looks amazing on paper that we balance the budget but not amazing if your kid is in the system. They are cutting some Honors classes and AP classes next yr. The JHS is losing foreign language as they do not have enought teachers for it. We are losing good teachers because the level of support v the work load is not commensurate. Class size is projected to be about 30 next yr. This yr my kids Honors classes had somewhere around 28 kids. They don't get some subjects regularly that other towns teach on a yrly basis.- Gym is 2 semsters, Health is 2 semsters in HS. Not more. I could go on but the point is this is not manufactured out of a bunch of extra admins. It is from a cessation of financial support that has made the situation unmanageable. If we had been functioning in a less responsible way we would have something to cut. We weren't and we don't.
                Just cut fraud and waste...I'm sure that will take care of everything

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Maybe this can be where Romney films his next ad:
                  You obviously don't care what I think. However, I believe some of your colleagues here may be getting a little tired of you pulling unattributed quotes out of your a*s. I'm wondering why you do it. Are you just stubborn and like the attention? That would be monumentally childish. Do you figure your excretions are so entertaining and informative that the normal rules of how these things are done don't apply to you? Maybe we're getting warmer. Are you an advocate of the Ward Churchill stylebook? Possibly. Maybe you figure rules are for "little people," not for you. That's also a possibility, I guess. No matter what the reason, it's wrong and you should stop doing it. I'm guessing you won't, but you should.

Only a child or a moron would continue in this fashion. And the breathless emanations from the Puffington Host are rarely "news" anyway.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Obviously you are lying because it does not back up some GOP talking point! please try again
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Les

So where is the money going? I would almost bet that operational cost (utilities, fuel, maintenance) is grabbing an increasing share of the school board budget. And then we can't forget the 10 ton elephant of pension costs.

If I am a taxpayer and my income is relatively flat, I really don't want to give more to the town / state as my expenses are going up, too. It's a sad dilemma and it may be some time before the economy restarts itself.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Les

So where is the money going? I would almost bet that operational cost (utilities, fuel, maintenance) is grabbing an increasing share of the school board budget. And then we can't forget the 10 ton elephant of pension costs.

If I am a taxpayer and my income is relatively flat, I really don't want to give more to the town / state as my expenses are going up, too. It's a sad dilemma and it may be some time before the economy restarts itself.
                        What I noticed when I was involved with town government was that the cost of health care was driving costs up.

Comment

What I noticed when I was involved with town government was that the cost of health care was driving costs up.
                          But wait! Forsooth!! Zounds!!! Thou has RomneyCare which was supposed to reduce costs, right??
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

But wait! Forsooth!! Zounds!!! Thou has RomneyCare which was supposed to reduce costs, right??
                            I don't live in Massachusetts

<---- See where it says location

Comment

I don't live in Massachusetts

<---- See where it says location
                              Maine used to be part of Massachusetts.

And my bad eyes thought it was les who responded.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Maine used to be part of Massachusetts.

And my bad eyes thought it was les who responded.
                                The US used to be part of England.

Confusing me with les? That's quite an insult to les...

Comment

Working...
                                X