X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    What's this? We've got Big Bill Clinton running around singing Mitt Romney's praises, saying that he had a "sterling business career." This is WAY out of line with the official Democrat Party line, articulated by President Barack Obama, that Romney is a "vampire" who rises at night to feast on the blood of living victims. One of them has to be wrong, maybe Bill's getting senile like Reagan was when he won the Cold War.
    only people who worked in businesses in which no person has ever lost money nor anyone ever ended up unemployed are good business people in the eyes of The Profit Haters...of course the only group of people this would apply to would be the government...they don't have a bottom line and they only grow in staff size.

Doesn't matter if you are Borders books, GM, Circuit City, DuPont, J Prettyman, ESPN Zone, Blockbuster Video or anybody else...the nature of the beast is that markets change and business must change with it. That means that people will lose money, make money, lose jobs and get jobs.

It is unfortunate that some companies can't contain costs and/or can't continue to grow market share and have to reduce expense (which usually means people). In some instances, that preserves hundreds or thousands of remaining jobs that could have been lost had nothing been done to get expenses in line. Now, some cry foul because profits may result...well, you wouldn't cut until you break even and then stop. But those people hate profits of any type because profits mean somebody is making money and that is just BAD, BAD, BAD. You have to keep the mindset of the beholder a priority...if you've never seen jobs reduced because the government can just operate at a deficit, then you are indignant when somebody else does it.

What's next, complaining that some people go to Vegas and lose money?
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
      But those people hate profits of any type because profits mean somebody is making money and that is just BAD, BAD, BAD.
      The Germans? Forget it. He's rolling.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hurling Acid at women in Afghanistan

Over 8,000 instances of violence against women were recorded in Pakistan last year, according to the Aurat Foundation, a women's rights organization.

Of those documented, 44 were acid attacks, many perpetrated by assailants on motorbikes who drove up to victims on the street and threw acid on their faces and bodies, sometimes burning the skin off to the point of melting bone. Other attacks took place inside homes and are categorized as domestic abuse. Throwing acid on women has become a common punishment for those who have insulted or dishonored their husbands in some way.
        Fortunately that isn't something we need to worry about here.

*****http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/TownsendCapture-e1338554108845.jpg******

Oh. That should certainly help the level of discourse.

Jay Townsend, a campaign spokesman for Republican Rep. Nan Hayworth (NY-19) has ignited a controversy after he said, "Let's hurl some acid" at female Democratic senators.

Townsend's comments (which have since been removed) were posted Thursday on a local Facebook discussion forum for New York's 19th congressional district. Townsend was responding to comments made by a commenter named "Tom" during an online debate over gas prices. Townsend wrote:

"Listen to Tom. What a little bee he has in his bonnet. Buzz Buzz. My question today … when is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won't abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."

Hayworth's office has not yet responded to requests for comment on the matter.

Townsend is described on his own personal website an "adept wordsmith," and is far from a political newcomer. In 2010, he was the Republican nominee in the U.S. Senate race against Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer. Townsend eventually lost that race by 18 points. He has worked on more than 300 campaigns in 25 different states, according to his website.

Comment

That's... disgusting.

Congratulations, Jay, at making your party look even worse when it comes to women's issues. As if it could get any worse...
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Awhile back, there was discussion about how difficult it was to terminate teachers for cause....here are some statistics from New York City:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1wV2HTK9s
            Of those who weren't fired, I wonder how many were offered contracts the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Hurling Acid at women in Afghanistan

Fortunately that isn't something we need to worry about here.

*****http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/TownsendCapture-e1338554108845.jpg******

Oh. That should certainly help the level of discourse.
              What would help the level of discourse is for you to stop being a putz and start attributing your "quotes."
              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                That's... disgusting.

Congratulations, Jay, at making your party look even worse when it comes to women's issues. As if it could get any worse...
                Stupid is as stupid does. I wonder if they've heard about this in the "Polish death camps," where many of the inmates speak "Austrian" and they don't have nearly enough medical "corpsemen?" This thing is going viral. Pretty soon people in all "57 states" will know about it.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  I wonder if they've heard about this in the "Polish death camps," where many of the inmates speak "Austrian" and they don't have nearly enough medical "corpsemen?" This thing is going viral. Pretty soon people in all "57 states" will know about it.
                  Not sure what you're getting at here. A man who is part of a political team, for a Republican, made an inappropriate comment about women. This is the same party that has such a bad reputation with women already. A party that had arguably their most vocal representative call a woman a slut on national radio. A party that is labeled, justifiably or not, as trying to prevent women from having access to birth control. A party that cares more about what's going on in a woman's vagina than what's going on in the economy.

The Republican brain trust has some serious work to do if they ever want to win over the women of this country.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    If the president or his administration has policies that affect the supply of domestically produced crude or implements policies that impose additional regulations on the crude oil industry then, yes, he can.
                    Except this administration doesn't have said policies. How many refining permit requests have been denied the past 2 years? 6? 15? More importantly it's been demonstrated time and time again an increase in production and/or refining within the US will not measurably reduce US prices of a globally traded commodity.

Comment

Not sure what you're getting at here. A man who is part of a political team, for a Republican, made an inappropriate comment about women. This is the same party that has such a bad reputation with women already. A party that had arguably their most vocal representative call a woman a slut on national radio. A party that is labeled, justifiably or not, as trying to prevent women from having access to birth control. A party that cares more about what's going on in a woman's vagina than what's going on in the economy.

The Republican brain trust has some serious work to do if they ever want to win over the women of this country.
                      What I'm getting at is this guy is an idiot, he's the press secretary to an unknown Republican congressman. Hardly a major figure. Conversely, our beloved president (the smartest guy in any room) can step on his johnson over and over and over again and it's yawn time. He can also fight strenuously to keep his college transcripts from being released, again, yawns.

We can count on the Democrats to try to pump enough air into this clown to make him into the re-incarnation of Bob Taft. But it won't fly. Besides, didn't I see some polling data recently that indicated Romney was doing much better with women? Perhaps the Republican reputation among women is more a figment of David Axelrod's imagination than reality. I'm pretty sure most of the ladies are smart enough to differentiate between this NY twerp and the nominee of the party. Similarly, since His Magnificentness can't run on his record, we're hearing all the hot air about how Romney should "disavow" Donald Trump, or something. How about His Panderness "disavow" Bill Maher (among others) who called Sarah Palin a "tw*t" and gave a million bucks to His Oneness' campaign?

You really have internalized their talking points, haven't you? I don't listen to Limbaugh, and don't care what he says, about anything. He's an entertainer. And not a "representative" of the party, vocal or otherwise. This is a common meme among Democrats, going all the way back to Bill Clinton, who blamed Limbaugh for Oklahoma City. He shouldn't have used that language to refer to a middle aged law student who wants me to pay for her birth control. But she should also pay for her own birth control. Or perhaps her various lovers. As we learned after her photo op, Walmart and others offer generics at very reasonable prices. I won't even touch the "vagina" comment, except to say it's His Failureness who has the motivation to talk about anything but the economy, including a phony "war on women."
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 06-01-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Here's the problem. Whether or not the Republicans do want to go spelunking isn't the point. It's the perception they do. And today, perception is reality. So instead of blasting these morons like Limbaugh and all of the others who have decided to make a point of doing everything they can to further this image of the attack on women, the Republicans have hemmed and hawed and offered a few "awww shucks" responses.

And if you think I'm a shill for the Dems, I've got some bad news...
                        Code:

Comment

Here's the problem. Whether or not the Republicans do want to go spelunking isn't the point. It's the perception they do. And today, perception is reality. So instead of blasting these morons like Limbaugh and all of the others who have decided to make a point of doing everything they can to further this image of the attack on women, the Republicans have hemmed and hawed and offered a few "awww shucks" responses.

And if you think I'm a shill for the Dems, I've got some bad news...
                          I don't necessarily disagree. BTW, I knew I'd seen a poll about Romney and women (admittedly just one) but the traditional "gender gap" going back to Reagan, I guess, doesn't seem to be a problem for Mitt. Of course, when men support Republican candidates heavily, that's not a gender gap. Oh, well. Anyway, we can expect His Wonderfulness to point to anything besides his record. And it's going to get worse. Much worse.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/po...-voters-74999/

Comment

I'm actually a bit surprised by that poll...
                            Code:

Comment

I'm actually a bit surprised by that poll...
                              I can understand that, particularly if you consume any of the MSM, for whom the "gender gap" is an article of faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Went to PTO the other night. Scary info. Our town is close to last in the state for budget/student despite the plan to increase the budget by 200K this coming yr. The stimulus money will be running out. That was to the tune of 2M. We will now be way short of cash in an already very tight fisted town that is underbudgeted (balance the bugdet, don't increase taxes- this is a beautiful audiovisual aide for how badly that strategy fails) for everything to the point that we are in trouble with the courts about the town hall, the schools etc. We are probably losing 75 teachers, the foreign languages are most likely going to be stopped in the Jr High meaning they will be unable to offer honors in HS as no one will be able to get that far before graduating. Accreditation is at risk. Sports fees are going up to more than double what they are now. THere is going to be a 200$ parking fee for the HS. Bus fee will be doubled to about 200. Little town but the stimulus $ paid for way more than a few jobs. It paid for teachers, programs as well as numerous road projects. We saw a ton of activity from that cash.
                                Mr les can't draw on SS as he has been a state employee and when he was not one he didn't make enough money to count.
                                Next PTO meeting, ask them how many administrators they have per student. Then go to a private school, and ask the same question.

They'll charge fees for sports but won't consolidate districts or cut admin staff.
                                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X