X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Those Occupy hippies are at it again. Damm Communists!
    Well, yeah, they are.

At the action, John Vinje will be seated at the “people’s negotiating table” awaiting a fair negotiation from U.S. Bank. Chris Gray, an organizer with Occupy Homes MN said, “The message will be clear. The right thing for U.S. Bank to do is to come to the table and negotiate with the Vinje family. We will continue to prevent the sale of the Vinjes’ home until we are confident that a fair negotiation has taken place.”
    Hell, they're pretty much screaming out that they're communists with the "people's negotiating table" jargon. They're not hiding it one bit.

Occupy Homes MN is currently working with more than a dozen homeowners in the metro area. The movement is demanding that banks renegotiate with all homeowners by rewriting mortgages to reflect today’s housing prices, and that elected officials institute a moratorium that stops all foreclosures until a fair negotiation happens. This action comes at the heels of Occupy Homes’ successful defense of the Cruz family home from eviction Wednesday, in which 100 community members turned away six sheriffs.
    My home has lost market value since I bought it in 2005. I seem to have been duped, though, seeing as how I've been a responsible person and made all scheduled payments to which I agreed at the signing of my mortgage documents even when times were lean and I wasn't out having much of a good time then. Hell, if anyone, I should have my mortgage renegotiated for the simple fact that I'll actually repay it, unlike what happens after so many renegotiations (default rates on renegotiated mortgages are astonishingly high).
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm trying to decide which is worse: visiting an Occupy website or quoting from it. You and His Organizerness are welcome to 'em. And the drugs, and the scabies, and the rapes and the sh*ting in public and the rest of the felonies and misdemeanors we've come to expect from these losers. "Power to the people." "Who wiped his a*s with my new Che T-shirt?
      Last edited by Old Pio; 05-29-2012, 12:38 AM.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        If he's ignoring you, you'll not get a very good answer.
        Quite the contrary.

ETA: alas...
        Last edited by amherstblackbear; 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Good blog post about the real relevance of the Bain ads.

The source doc here.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            No need for any psychology here. You're a typical ******* dipstick [who] resorts to name calling when they can't shut the opposition up.
            That is better than 90% of what gets published in The Onion.

when you referred to "little whities," that, too, was another figure of speech? Any fair reading of our exchange would reveal your default position, which is to imply my disagreement with you over the Finnish model, or any reference to our problems in inner city schools, is racist.
            I'm not ignoring the blight of inner-city education. But you have to remember that you made that point immediately after blustering about you can't take anything from a pin***** country with no ethnic diversity. I was asking: are inner cities blighted because of "diversity," or are they "diverse" because they are blighted? Is ethnic diversity the culprit or, say, economic diversity? Bivariate correlations showing poor black performance are of limited use, due to the myriad other factors that shape outcomes. If black 4th graders in MA score higher on math assessments than white 4th graders in WV. (google national center for education statistics), that suggests that ethnicity may be second fiddle to other influences. Likewise, it's hard to blame inner city blight on multiculturalism when white kids in California and Texas perform better than white kids in Wyoming and South Dakota.

As to cowardice, you are the one who suggested several times there are "many states" with not too many minoirities that are underperforming. Yet you haven't told us which ones they are. Or even named one. So you don't seem to be overly willing to "debate" either.
            J. tapdancing C, I was never trying to debate. I had set aside my preconceived notions and was trying to use this board, which is fequented by intelligent folks from across the spectrum, to have a conversation that might help me solve the question (obvious in my very first post) of figuring out which policies might travel, which wouldn't, and with respect to the latter, how to design a policy that might capture the benefits of those "non-US" policies in a way that is more consistent with American values.

TL/DR version: I was trying to learn.

Your ******* pomposity, unqualified psychological posturing ("within the GOP" my a*s), and phony tears about your good faith efforts to debate are not persuasive. It is the left that spends a great deal of time and effort trying to silence views with which they disagree. And resorts to name calling when they can't shut the opposition up.
            I was pizzed b/c I was trying to start an actual conversation, and you wandered by and sharted all over the place. I now know that you considered that to be "debating." There are lots of corners on the internet (e.g. dailycaller) where you can do that. Don't foul up uscho with that. Unless it's funny. Funny always gets a pass.

Lastly, you're right about one thing, even if you're wrong overall. I don't hate the Democratic Party. It is what it is. I do hate what the Republican party has become (forget about deficits; just let God into the economy and all will be well). The GOP could provide a much, much needed corrective across a range of domestic policies. But that'll never happen until it reorders its priorities in a major way. It's time for the majority of Republicans to stop being silent about the teavangelical hijacking. Count my scorn as one (admittedly small) step in that direction.
            Last edited by amherstblackbear; 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

"Hey, should we spell-check the headline of the story before we publish it?" "Nah, don't bother."

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                "Hey, should we spell-check the headline of the story before we publish it?" "Nah, don't bother."
                Note that spiel cheque wood of taught hit.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Good blog post about the real relevance of the Bain ads.

The source doc here.
                  Joe Klein. Fair and balanced?
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    That is better than 90% of what gets published in The Onion.

I'm not ignoring the blight of inner-city education. But you have to remember that you made that point immediately after blustering about you can't take anything from a pin***** country with no ethnic diversity. I was asking: are inner cities blighted because of "diversity," or are they "diverse" because they are blighted? Is ethnic diversity the culprit or, say, economic diversity? Bivariate correlations showing poor black performance are of limited use, due to the myriad other factors that shape outcomes. If black 4th graders in MA score higher on math assessments than white 4th graders in WV. (google national center for education statistics), that suggests that ethnicity may be second fiddle to other influences. Likewise, it's hard to blame inner city blight on multiculturalism when white kids in California and Texas perform better than white kids in Wyoming and South Dakota.

J. tapdancing C, I was never trying to debate. I had set aside my preconceived notions and was trying to use this board, which is fequented by intelligent folks from across the spectrum, to have a conversation that might help me solve the question (obvious in my very first post) of figuring out which policies might travel, which wouldn't, and with respect to the latter, how to design a policy that might capture the benefits of those "non-US" policies in a way that is more consistent with American values.

TL/DR version: I was trying to learn.

I was pizzed b/c I was trying to start an actual conversation, and you wandered by and sharted all over the place. I now know that you considered that to be "debating." There are lots of corners on the internet (e.g. dailycaller) where you can do that. Don't foul up uscho with that. Unless it's funny. Funny always gets a pass.

Lastly, you're right about one thing, even if you're wrong overall. I don't hate the Democratic Party. It is what it is. I do hate what the Republican party has become (forget about deficits; just let God into the economy and all will be well). The GOP could provide a much, much needed corrective across a range of domestic policies. But that'll never happen until it reorders its priorities in a major way. It's time for the majority of Republicans to stop being silent about the teavangelical hijacking. Count my scorn as one (admittedly small) step in that direction.
                    THIS is ignore?

Comment

Those hippies have no sense of responsibility or two-way freedoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        THIS is ignore?
                        You'll have to forgive me for misinterpreting your earlier, invective-filled post. We're agreed, then.

Rest assured: I have no intention of engaging you in any future discussion debate shartfest. To be honest, you weren't really the audience for that last response. I was trying to signal to everyone else that, while I am an undoubtedly an out-and-out arsehole (in fact, I may be your only equal), I am at least a fair and honest arsehole.

Comment

I think both sides are victimized...real and imagined. Each party attacks the other, usually with gross exagerations, broad brushes and anecdotes. Thus, each party is constantly being attacked and each party is constantly victimized for offenses of little factual accuracy, much less real impact on anything.

And each party uses those 'attacks' to do what? Justify their attacks. What is better than a reactive attack? A proactive attack, of course....but since each side is still responding to attacks from 1996, it will be a while before we see a proactive attack again.

So, the attacks are real, the issues may not be but the attacks are real...of course the responses would make an Italian soccer player jealous. No, not the cheating, the writhing and screaming at all contact, all near contact and all imagined contact.

Does that mean there are no real offenses? Not in the least. But how would you know above the din?

And like people at professional wrestling, the public eats it up, doesn't look behind the curtain and just keeps waiting for their side to smack the other with a chair when they aren't looking.
                          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I was listening to a thing today about the decrease in people feeling hopeful of the American dream. They were talking about some stats re research following the public opinon regarding this. When the economic numbers were worse the perception was more hopeful. I wasn't shocked at all. No matter which party is in power the other one spends all their time telling the populace that we are in big doo doo because of the current party. Lots of stories lately regarding the disconnect between the economy stats and the pulic perception. After awhile you hear it enough you will believe it even when things are OK, improving, whatever. Absolutley not saying that everything is hunky dory. Just sick of the constant spin doctoring (this goes for both sides about multiple issues). If anything is positive the other side immediately leeps to eay why life still stinx.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              You'll have to forgive me for misinterpreting your earlier, invective-filled post. We're agreed, then.

Rest assured: I have no intention of engaging you in any future discussion debate shartfest. To be honest, you weren't really the audience for that last response. I was trying to signal to everyone else that, while I am an undoubtedly an out-and-out arsehole (in fact, I may be your only equal), I am at least a fair and honest arsehole.
                              And here I thought Mother Theresa was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                I was listening to a thing today about the decrease in people feeling hopeful of the American dream. They were talking about some stats re research following the public opinon regarding this. When the economic numbers were worse the perception was more hopeful. I wasn't shocked at all. No matter which party is in power the other one spends all their time telling the populace that we are in big doo doo because of the current party. Lots of stories lately regarding the disconnect between the economy stats and the pulic perception. After awhile you hear it enough you will believe it even when things are OK, improving, whatever. Absolutley not saying that everything is hunky dory. Just sick of the constant spin doctoring (this goes for both sides about multiple issues). If anything is positive the other side immediately leeps to eay why life still stinx.
                                The corollary phenomenon in the news business is "mean world syndrome." People see stories night after night on TV about violence, drug dealing, gangs, AIDs etc and they lose their ability to contextualize. And even if the rates of these phenomena are going down, the story announcing that fact is followed by five more stories talking about violence, drug dealing, gangs, AIDs, etc.

Local TV news, in all but the biggest markets, is a boring, repetitive, sensational, unimaginative sewer.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X