• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
    ...we want to raise taxes on them.....
    thank you.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

This message is from an Obama supporter:

The astonishing enthusiasm for Obama in 2008 rested heavily on his promise to change Washington and unify the country. You can argue about whose fault it is that Washington is even more paralyzed by tribal fighting than before--in my view, it's mostly (though not entirely) the GOP's fault. For whatever reason, Obama failed to bring the change he promised. That would be forgivable, so long as he was determined to keep trying. But he isn't determined to keep trying. His campaign message so far boils down to this: You just can't work with these people. I tried, they're not interested, so it's war. If they want bitter partisan politics, they can have it.

My instinct tells me this is a losing strategy

The tacit message of the campaign is veering towards saying that traditional Old Democratic policies are the way to go. . . . Just give us the votes, and the era of big government is back. That's crazy.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

This message from a Romney supporter:

Backed by a conservative billionaire, a cadre of top Republican strategists is considering a hardline attack on President Obama timed to disrupt the Democratic convention. The strategists wrote that they are preparing to “do exactly what John McCain would not let us do”—which includes a blitz of television ads linking Obama to the incendiary comments of his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. The $10 million project, known as the Ricketts Plan, calls for hiring an “extremely literate conservative African-American” to accuse Obama of lying in presenting himself as a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln” rather than a radical supporter of “black liberation theology.”
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Backed by a conservative billionaire, a cadre of top Republican strategists is considering a hardline attack on President Obama timed to disrupt the Democratic convention. The strategists wrote that they are preparing to “do exactly what John McCain would not let us do”—which includes a blitz of television ads linking Obama to the incendiary comments of his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. The $10 million project, known as the Ricketts Plan, calls for hiring an “extremely literate conservative African-American” to accuse Obama of lying in presenting himself as a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln” rather than a radical supporter of “black liberation theology.”
          I hope they don't go through with that plan. they'd be better served to hold that in reserve only as a counter-attack but not to launch it as a pre-emptive strike. it would backfire badly on them if they did.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

A Romney ad blitz timed to step on and drown out the touchy-feely messaging from the convention in gay loving Charlotte is not a bad idea in the abstract. But this claim "from a Romney" supporter is bull sh*t.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              I hope they don't go through with that plan. they'd be better served to hold that in reserve only as a counter-attack but not to launch it as a pre-emptive strike. it would backfire badly on them if they did.
              It's as phony as a 3 dollar bill. A lib wet dream.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

First poll after the primaries in Nebraska shows Deb Fisher with an 18 point lead. I wonder if Kepler's still offering 80/20 odds on Kerrey.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ebraska_senate

Comment

This is the gift that keeps on giving. Princess Summerfall Winterspring identified herself as Cherokee back in the 80's when she submitted recipes to that valuable geneological source, Pow Wow Chow.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_...ome&position=1

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    this claim "from a Romney" supporter is bull sh*t.
                    um, sad to say, no it's not. a group that runs "independent advocacy ads" (one of the fruits of Citizens United) actually is considering exactly such an ad. While our Good Buddy in Banter neglected to post the link, I did see that text he copied word for word in a news story somewhere earlier in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      This is the gift that keeps on giving. Princess Summerfall Winterspring identified herself as Cherokee back in the 80's when she submitted recipes to that valuable geneological source, Pow Wow Chow.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_...ome&position=1
                      so now romney thinks that women can't cook?!?!?! what IS his problem?!?!?!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        um, sad to say, no it's not. a group that runs "independent advocacy ads" (one of the fruits of Citizens United) actually is considering exactly such an ad. While our Good Buddy in Banter neglected to post the link, I did see that text he copied word for word in a news story somewhere earlier in the day.
                        The quote is probably accurate. What's BS is anybody taking this thing seriously. How about we provide the name of this group, just so we can check their bona fides. People can talk about anything. Doesn't mean they're seriousy planning to do it. Besides, the "report" indicated a price tag of 10 million, hardly national "blitz" spending. There are lots of goofy people who support either campaign, who will propose and suggest goofy things. When the spots are cut and the time purchased, then come see me. Until then it's just BS in my humble opinion. Not to mention a horrible, counter productive idea. That's why I'm skeptical about the accuracy of this "report."

I posted the other day about a popular campaign trick: calling a news conference to unveil a hard hitting commercial the campaign has no plans to air. Instead, they're hoping for earned media reporting to get it out there without actually paying for it. And it sometimes works.

Anyway, you'd go after Wright on radio while the campaign stayed on message on TV. Radio is the favorite medium for the low blow.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          so now romney thinks that women can't cook?!?!?! what IS his problem?!?!?!
                          Men generally make better chefs. But I'm guessing Fauxcahontas' recipe for corn pudding is a killer. Somebody suggested if she wanted social interractions with Cherokees (as she claimed as her reason for calling herself a minority) why didn't she go where the Cherokees are. You won't find too many of 'em in the faculty dining room at Harvard.

What does Romney have to do with Crockajawea's lying anyway?
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 05-17-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Here's a story from the Tribune about this "plan" to bombard His Panderness with Rev. Wright spots during the DNC. Evidently a pitch was made to do just exactly that (by Strategic Perceptions, Inc). But there's apparantly no indication the Ricketts family (owners of the Cubs) took the matter seriously or did anything to further or execute the plan. It's all pretty circumstantial. As I say, a pretty stupid non productive idea. BTW, sister Laura Ricketts is a big Obama supporter and fund raiser.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1128323.story

Besides, nobody watches conventions anymore. What little is actually broadcast is more in the nature of an infomercial than anything else. If you were going to advertise just before and just after his speech the point would be to offer contrast to his blather, no to resurrect Rev. Wright.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

This quote from Romney makes me giggle:

"I'm not familiar, precisely, with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was," Romney said.
                              Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                                This quote from Romney makes me giggle:

"I'm not familiar, precisely, with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was," Romney said.

Comment

Working...
                                X