X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Mildly amusing....the Obama campaign puts out an attack ad on a Bain Capital investment in GST Steel, which went bankrupt in 2001.....two years after Romney had left Bain to run the Salt Lake City Olympics.

The person from Bain who was in charge of GST Steel at the time it went bankrupt is now a major bundler for Obama's campaign cash.....oops.

and the day they aired the commercial, Obama was in Manhattan, attending a fund-raiser, hosted by Tony James, president of Blackstone Group, which is a private equity investment firm just like Bain.

So they attack Bain on one hand while on the same day go to another private equity company to raise money. Nice timing, guys.
    But hardly anybody connects those sorts of dots, and we know most of the media has no interest in reporting things like this.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Mildly amusing....the Obama campaign puts out an attack ad on a Bain Capital investment in GST Steel, which went bankrupt in 2001.....two years after Romney had left Bain to run the Salt Lake City Olympics.

The person from Bain who was in charge of GST Steel at the time it went bankrupt is now a major bundler for Obama's campaign cash.....oops.

and the day they aired the commercial, Obama was in Manhattan, attending a fund-raiser, hosted by Tony James, president of Blackstone Group, which is a private equity investment firm just like Bain.

So they attack Bain on one hand while on the same day go to another private equity company to raise money. Nice timing, guys.
      We don't get the liberal ads in this part of the state. I never saw them where I grew up, either (I remember in 1998 we got ALL of the D'Amato ads in that Senate race).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
        But hardly anybody connects those sorts of dots, and we know most of the media has no interest in reporting things like this.
        I think this is actually wrong -- with the internet it takes about ten seconds for somebody to connect the dots, and then the connection of those dots becomes news, at least with the providers whose axe grinding is served by that narrative.

The main problem is focus, not lack of connections being made.

As for releasing an accusation which has an impact, then having to clarify one of its claims weeks later in the small print on page 8, that's a tale as old as time.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Always amused by when the righties start calling for fairness in political adverstising. Didn't Mittens repeat the Sarah Palin line that ratifying the new SALT treaty (you know, the stuff that Reagan supported all the time) would leave the US unable to defend itself in case of a nuclear attack?

Bain capital ads will be devastating. They already were when he ran for Senate, and job anxiety is a lot worse now in most of the country than it was in Massachusetts in 1994. Unless you are a fat cat Republican, nobody likes an outsourcer. I am in no way blaming Romney for his actions back then as his job was to make money for his investors. However, good luck to him explaining to people who got laid off that they're better off now that those jobs are sitting in China. Lets hope that exchange comes complete with videotape!
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Bain capital ads will be devastating.
            Agree. There are certain "contrast" (i.e., negative) narratives that really strike home with the electorate. Dukakis in the tank. Kerry wind surfing. Romney's Bain photo is one of those lethal images. It takes all the abstract negatives of the candidate and gives them a simple, clear form. That's what affects the 50% of the electorate that pay no attention until October 15.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I think this is actually wrong -- with the internet it takes about ten seconds for somebody to connect the dots, and then the connection of those dots becomes news, at least with the providers whose axe grinding is served by that narrative.

The main problem is focus, not lack of connections being made.

As for releasing an accusation which has an impact, then having to clarify one of its claims weeks later in the small print on page 8, that's a tale as old as time.
              But people have to be willing to take ten seconds to make the connections online. I hold forth that the average American voter doesn't make that much of an effort to connect dots. If focus is a problem, how do people make connections if they lack focus?
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                . I am in no way blaming Romney for his actions back then as his job was to make money for his investors. However, good luck to him explaining to people who got laid off that they're better off now
                like, the people who work for Staples, one of Bain's biggest success stories, or the sporting goods chain whose name i forget? On a net basis, Bain and the like have created hundreds of thousands of jobs....we'll see how that plays out in the campaign.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Bain will be a mixed bag for him.

I wouldn't paint it as any big experience advantage. I'm sure Romney has nothing on team Obama at this point in regards to experience in fixing the economy.

In regards governing experience, team Romney could be very light depending on who he picks...and potentially short of an Obama/Biden ticket in 2008.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

like, the people who work for Staples, one of Bain's biggest success stories, or the sporting goods chain whose name i forget? On a net basis, Bain and the like have created hundreds of thousands of jobs....we'll see how that plays out in the campaign.
                    Yes, all those minimum wage retail jobs are capitalism at its best. He can put that in his campaign ads as a response! I can see it now, a smiling Mittens surrounded by uniformed Staples workers saying how happy they are to be working for 7 bucks an hour part time with no benefits....

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      But people have to be willing to take ten seconds to make the connections online. I hold forth that the average American voter doesn't make that much of an effort to connect dots. If focus is a problem, how do people make connections if they lack focus?
                      I actually meant focus of the news media (though focus of the voter is also a problem). The news media has a first in / first out queue, so the next white girl down a well will completely obliterate everything that has happened in world history up to this moment.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Romney has locked up the W vote. In what the daily caller calls the least enthusiastic endorsement of all time:

Bush said, verbatim, “I’m for Mitt Romney,” as elevator doors closed on him.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          When you bail out a corporation that is failing, you're socializing the losses that business has incurred. When you require a mortgage company to sell its mortgages issued to Fannie or Freddie, and they become holders of the primary loans, they take the brunt of the defaults.
                          Pretty tough concept, isn't it?
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Romney has locked up the W vote. In what the daily caller calls the least enthusiastic endorsement of all time:

I wonder when we'll see The Mittster and W campaigning together. I mean, what could possibly be wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Can Mitt decline the penalty?
                              Cornell University

Comment

On a net basis, Bain and the like have created hundreds of thousands of jobs....we'll see how that plays out in the campaign.
                                Yes. Yes we will.

These guys aren't capitalists, Fresh, they're just predators. They don't make anything anybody wants. They just gamble with other people's lives. They're scum.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X