X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    My first impression of the Romney story was that it was high school and in a very different time when gays were fair game for bullying. On the playgrounds I grew up on the "f" word was definitely the goto insult from kids with more muscles than brains. That certainly does not make it right, but you can't judge an earlier period's actions as if they fall on the modern spectrum of mores. Also: people grow up. People learn all sorts of ignorant stuff at their parents' knee that exposure to the world rids them of.

The thing that did bother me about it was his laughing dismissal of the story. He didn't do that forty years ago as an idiot teenager, he did it yesterday as a presidential candidate. That's just gross.
    Yup, gotta be something about this episode we can nail him with.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Exactly. I'd even up it to disgusting.
      Like the hall monitor in Funky Winkerbean, with the machine gun on his desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        The lesson here is don't pass yourself off a Mr Clean when that's not the case. We've seen it time and time again with rigthies (Vitter, Craig, Ensign, Hyde, etc).
        Yeah, those are fair comparisons all right.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          That's not it. Or hey, maybe it is and I am completely biased.

Are you telling me it didn't bother you in the least? I'm asking that seriously -- if enough people tell me it didn't bother them, or if whether or not it bothered people seems to correlate 100% with their political leanings, then it could just be a case of seeing what you want to see.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Awwww...are those mean ol' Dems being too hard on Mittens? I hate to break this to you, but to paraphrase Rick Pitino: Mike Dukakis ain't walkin' thru that door. As I told one your fellow knucks', we're playing offense, not defense, so you may want to get used to it. Obama hasn't even started running the "Bain Capital outsourcing jobs to China" commericials yet, but rest assured they're coming.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Awwww...are those mean ol' Dems being too hard on Mittens? I hate to break this to you, but to paraphrase Rick Pitino: Mike Dukakis ain't walkin' thru that door. As I told one your fellow knucks', we're playing offense, not defense, so you may want to get used to it. Obama hasn't even started running the "Bain Capital outsourcing jobs to China" commericials yet, but rest assured they're coming.
              Well, at least you admit the WaPo is part of His Oneness' campaign. We're making progress.

Comment

Are you telling me it didn't bother you in the least? I'm asking that seriously -- if enough people tell me it didn't bother them, or if whether or not it bothered people seems to correlate 100% with their political leanings, then it could just be a case of seeing what you want to see.
                Tears? Breast beating? Apologies for once being a teenager? I doubt any reaction would have met your exacting standards. Analogous, I think, to the reactions of victims' families to statements by their killers in court. There really isn't anything the murderer could say that would get a thumbs up. Same deal here.

Comment

Well, at least you admit the WaPo is part of His Oneness' campaign. We're making progress.
                  That and the 100M other people who are going to re-elect the Prez!
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

That and the 100M other people who are going to re-elect the Prez!
                    And some of them may only be voting once. We'll see.

Comment

Tears? Breast beating? Apologies for once being a teenager? I doubt any reaction would have met your exacting standards. Analogous, I think, to the reactions of victims' families to statements by their killers in court. There really isn't anything the murderer could say that would get a thumbs up. Same deal here.
                      I'm asking what your reaction was.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm asking what your reaction was.
                        I don't give a sh*t, at the top of my lungs. Either about what Romney did in prep school or his reaction to it. Surely a person of your erudition will agree that we really ought to focus on other, more pertinent issues. He's running for President of the United States, not president of the senior class.

Comment

The thing that did bother me about it was his laughing dismissal of the story. He didn't do that forty years ago as an idiot teenager, he did it yesterday as a presidential candidate. That's just gross.
                          Romney's damned either way. If he had owned up to it and tried to be honest about it, any apology or condemnation of youthful mistakes would've been derided as him just being an arrogant, insincere phony again; he's incapable of coming off as anything but.

Of course, Obama's sense of sincereity isn't exactly endearing either.

Comment

I don't give a sh*t, at the top of my lungs. Either about what Romney did in prep school or his reaction to it. Surely a person of your erudition will agree that we really ought to focus on other, more pertinent issues. He's running for President of the United States, not president of the senior class.
                            I definitely think we should focus on more pertinent things. Like I said, I thought his reaction was gross. It isn't going to make or break my vote, obviously.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Romney's damned either way. If he had owned up to it and tried to be honest about it, any apology or condemnation of youthful mistakes would've been derided as him just being an arrogant, insincere phony again; he's incapable of coming off as anything but.
                              Which suggests he may actually feel honestly bad about it in retrospect, and he just has such a strange affect disorder that it will never come across.

Romney's inability to appear sincere must be linked to something physiological, like Dubya's "smirk" that was really a facial tic. Even Romney's supporters seem to think he comes across as douchey, in that way that Kerry did.
                              Cornell University

Comment

to be honest, I never saw the Romney spin. And I don't see a need to, having long since decided I can't vote for Romney anyway, who was already skeezy before this outrageous scandal broke wide open, shocking the nation. I should probably have just stayed out of it.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X