X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
    High school? Seriously, high school is the best the Dems can come up with? You may want to take a look at a few of the things that Obama brags about in his book that he did in high school if this is such a concern for you. Anything to keep people from talking about the economy I guess.
    Yah, that is a real reach to be going after Romney for stuff that happened in high school. Lots of people get picked on in school and do dumb stuff that they regret later. But, such is the nature of political campaigns these days. Substance takes a back seat once again.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      And to answer your question, one obviously has to judge families on a case by case basis. But, I think that a family with a mom and dad is generically the best setup, as even nature shows us, recognizing that there's lots of folks out there that do well as single parents and all when for one reason or another the mom or dad isn't able to be in the picture.
      So then your answer is no. You couldnt even say it while beating around the bush. Own your beliefs dude dont cower from them for fear of being called a bigot or something. You dont think gays make good parents...you are wrong but you have the right to be wrong.

On another topic, way to go being a foster parent...that is very very awesome and I tip my hat to you.

On the Romney thing...that doesnt even reach the level of grasping at straws (I know I was a saint in HS ) why even go there? politicians are stupid and their handlers are even dumber.
      Last edited by Handyman; 05-11-2012, 12:17 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        So then your answer is no. You couldnt even say it while beating around the bush. Own your beliefs dude dont cower from them for fear of being called a bigot or something. You dont think gays make good parents...you are wrong but you have the right to be wrong.

On another topic, way to go being a foster parent...that is very very awesome and I tip my hat to you.

On the Romney thing...that doesnt even reach the level of grasping at straws (I know I was a saint in HS ) why even go there? politicians are stupid and their handlers are even dumber.
        Nuance, meet Handy. Handy, meet nuance.

Oh, and thanks for the second one. It's both scary and exciting to be going down this road, though doing it with my wife is awesome and very reassuring. I think a lot of us would probably view each other better if we knew the good stuff each other does, instead of just seeing the hot-button issues we see differently than each other on some message board.
        Last edited by Bob Gray; 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

High school? Seriously, high school is the best the Dems can come up with? You may want to take a look at a few of the things that Obama brags about in his book that he did in high school if this is such a concern for you. Anything to keep people from talking about the economy I guess.
          Your post epitomizes knuckledragger logic. Do we care about what happened in the 60's or don't we? Or, could I interpret your position to be, we care about it if it affects Dems but not Republicans?
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

No, that's not the best - just the latest example of how sleazy and out of touch the presumptive GOP nominee is. But if you want to talk about the economy, let's talk about the economy.

The Conference Board Leading Economic Index® (LEI) for the U.S. increased 0.3 percent in March to 95.7 (2004 = 100), following a 0.7 percent increase in February, and a 0.2 percent increase in January.

Says Ataman Ozyildirim, economist at The Conference Board: “The LEI increased for the sixth consecutive month, pointing to a more positive outlook despite subdued consumer expectations and weakness in manufacturing new orders. Moreover, the six-month growth rate of the LEI continues to improve. The CEI, a measure of current economic conditions, has also increased in five of the last six months, with broad based gains in all components.”

Says Ken Goldstein, economist at The Conference Board: “Despite relatively weak data on jobs, home building and output in the past month or two, the indicators signal continued economic momentum. We expect a gradual improvement in growth past the summer months.”

The Conference Board Coincident Economic Index® (CEI) for the U.S. increased 0.2 percent in March to 104.2 (2004 = 100), following a 0.2 percent increase in February, and a 0.1 percent increase in January.

The Conference Board Lagging Economic Index® (LAG) increased 0.3 percent in March to 114.4 (2004 = 100), following a 0.1 percent increase in February, and a 0.6 percent increase in January.
            Conference Board of LEI

Are Republicans going to blame five consecutive weeks of gas prices dropping on Obama as quickly as they were willing to blame him when prices were going up? Or will Romney take credit for that, too?

Consumer confidence seems to be up...

Consumer confidence hit a four year high on Friday as people appeared upbeat on the prospects of a stronger job market.

The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan survey rose to 77.8 in early May, up from 76.4 and beating expectations that called for 76. At the same time, the survey’s current economic conditions measure hit a four year high, reaching 87.3.
            Maybe you'd be better off sticking to divisive social arguments than trying to attack the president on the economy.

Comment

A thoughtful piece about the subject:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...+-+Politics%29

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

for the record, I think this whole screaming fit all the Obama dick tinglers are throwing today over Romney picking on some kid 50 years ago in high school is another stupid, pathetic, overblown example of exactly the kind of childish temper tantrum that causes our politics so many problems. Grow up, babies.
                If you are that traumatized over some perceived bullying you had to endure because of your nail polish or whatever back in school, see a therapist. Don't embarrass the normal people with it.
                If there is anyone who claims to have had a childhood free of all conflict, name calling, insults, snuggies and wet willies, you're a liar.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  No, that's not the best - just the latest example of how sleazy and out of touch the presumptive GOP nominee is. But if you want to talk about the economy, let's talk about the economy.

Conference Board of LEI

Are Republicans going to blame five consecutive weeks of gas prices dropping on Obama as quickly as they were willing to blame him when prices were going up? Or will Romney take credit for that, too?

Consumer confidence seems to be up...

Maybe you'd be better off sticking to divisive social arguments than trying to attack the president on the economy.
                  Yeah, the economy's fine. Nothing to see here.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Nuance, meet Handy. Handy, meet nuance.

Oh, and thanks for the second one. It's both scary and exciting to be going down this road, though doing it with my wife is awesome and very reassuring. I think a lot of us would probably view each other better if we knew the good stuff each other does, instead of just seeing the hot-button issues we see differently than each other on some message board.
                    I agree with Bob. Mark your calendar. And I also think it's awesome you do foster parenting.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

doing it with my wife is awesome
                      I agree with Bob about this part. But then, I've only been married 12 years now.

(no, not Bob's wife. My own wife.)
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        I agree with Bob about this part. But then, I've only been married 12 years now.

(no, not Bob's wife. My own wife.)
                        I'm really glad you added that last part.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My first impression of the Romney story was that it was high school and in a very different time when gays were fair game for bullying. On the playgrounds I grew up on the "f" word was definitely the goto insult from kids with more muscles than brains. That certainly does not make it right, but you can't judge an earlier period's actions as if they fall on the modern spectrum of mores. Also: people grow up. People learn all sorts of ignorant stuff at their parents' knee that exposure to the world rids them of.

The thing that did bother me about it was his laughing dismissal of the story. He didn't do that forty years ago as an idiot teenager, he did it yesterday as a presidential candidate. That's just gross.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So His Cocainesnortingness' pals at the WaPo "coincidentally" release a story about Mitt's "bullying" the day after his views on gay marriage re-evolved (he had been unoquivically against it when he was running for the Illinois legislature). Plus, as a bonus, touches on "bullying," the new ******* cause du jour. And just to spice up the story a bit, the Post decides to include a quote (that wasn't a quote) from a guy who wasn't there and didn't learn about the incident until recently, that he thinks about it all the time.

And this is greeted with heavy breathing and eyebrow raising from the usual suspects, one of whom posted a piece from that grinning eel Paul Begala. Begala's like Goebbels, issuing press releases from the bunker on how well the war's going. Begala even finds it some sort of disqualification that Romney was a cheerleader in prep school (like Bush at Yale and Perry at A & M). High marks for being able to work in a Bush shot, but seriously, cheerleading?

For one thing, if this episode does not conclusively prove the MSM are in bed with His Dogmunchieness, then nothing, short of a front page box editorial on how they're slanting the news to advantage him will do it. I thought the breathless NYT story about McCain's "affair" was the bottom of the barrel, I was wrong.

I don't have to watch MSNBC to know how they've reacted to this "story." I can just imagine Maddow and Rev. "Skillets" working themselves into high dudgeon over this one. But I doubt many Americans with room temperature or better IQs will care much about high school sh*t. Especially the ones who are unemployed, underemployed or have just given up. We've all done or said something stupid or mean or childish when we were young (probably because we were children). And most of us wouldn't want to be judged by that behavior 30, 40 or 50 years later.

This story, IMO, doesn't have "legs." But the willingness of the WaPo to make stuff up to give the story a little more verve (a la Jayson Blair) and the obvious deliberate timing of the story to help His Evolvingness may become the story instead. Like CBS' last minute efforts to advantage Kerry by airing a story based on forged documents. Remember, producer Mary Mapes was in contact with the Kerry campaign on that one.

One thing's for sure: we ain't seen nothin' yet.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              for the record, I think this whole screaming fit all the Obama dick tinglers are throwing today over Romney picking on some kid 50 years ago in high school is another stupid, pathetic, overblown example of exactly the kind of childish temper tantrum that causes our politics so many problems. Grow up, babies.
                              If you are that traumatized over some perceived bullying you had to endure because of your nail polish or whatever back in school, see a therapist. Don't embarrass the normal people with it.
                              If there is anyone who claims to have had a childhood free of all conflict, name calling, insults, snuggies and wet willies, you're a liar.
                              The lesson here is don't pass yourself off a Mr Clean when that's not the case. We've seen it time and time again with rigthies (Vitter, Craig, Ensign, Hyde, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The thing that did bother me about it was his laughing dismissal of the story. He didn't do that forty years ago as an idiot teenager, he did it yesterday as a presidential candidate. That's just gross.
                                Exactly. I'd even up it to disgusting.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X