X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012: You must choose the lesser of two weevils

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    It's my understanding that this isn't "the point" of the legislation; it's more so that they can enroll in college without their family being threatened with deportation....though not every state's version of the proposed bill is the same.
    Oh, well we definitely want to punish kids for the sins of their parents (I think that's in the Bible) so I can understand the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      So why shouldn't they pay in-state tuition?
      Who here has said that they have a problem with legal residents paying in-state tuition?
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Who here has said that they have a problem with legal residents paying in-state tuition?
        They have implied that legal residents are not citizens. I am asking for some clarification. I believe Bob has told us in the past that "anchor babies" who are born in these United States should not be considered citizens and are thus illegal aliens themselves.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        People here illegally should get 0 benefits from their illegal activity.
        Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
        Yah. So an illegal gets to pay in state tuition, but a kid from the next state over pays out of state tuition. Such things are all too common in this nation anymore.

Comment

Legal residents already get in state tuition, don't they?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yeah - I think there are some crossed signals here. The proposed law would deny in-state tuition to someone who entered unlawfully as a child. But I can't see how it would apply to a U.S. citizen (like someone born in the U.S. to parents who arrived unlawfully). I guess that's the difference
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

They have implied that legal residents are not citizens. I am asking for some clarification. I believe Bob has told us in the past that "anchor babies" who are born in these United States should not be considered citizens and are thus illegal aliens themselves.
              Ah, so you're still having some other conversation. It would be less confusing if you would join this one.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                Yeah - I think there are some crossed signals here. The proposed law would deny in-state tuition to someone who entered unlawfully as a child. But I can't see how it would apply to a U.S. citizen (like someone born in the U.S. to parents who arrived unlawfully). I guess that's the difference
                Yes.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Ah, so you're still having some other conversation. It would be less confusing if you would join this one.
                  I'm asking for some clarification because their views on other issues do not make sense when applied to this situation. But I guess some consistency is too much to ask. My apologies.

Comment

I'm asking for some clarification because their views on other issues do not make sense when applied to this situation. But I guess some consistency is too much to ask. My apologies.
                    Not fun when you get caught commenting on a subject you aren't that familiar with, eh?
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Not fun when you get caught commenting on a subject you aren't that familiar with, eh?
                      Not fun when you get caught being a hypocrite, eh?

Comment

Edwards not guilty on one charge, mistrial declared on the other five.

*fail horn*
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Yah. So an illegal gets to pay in state tuition, but a kid from the next state over pays out of state tuition. Such things are all too common in this nation anymore.
                          The "proximity" argument has no bearing here. The issue is residency. A kid who lives in California has no more claim to pay in-state tuition at the U of A than a kid from Rhode Island. The kid in "the next state over" pays in-state tuition in that state.

And if the children of illegal aliens don't pay in state tuition, what do they pay? Or do you just prohibit them from attending state schools? And is it in the long term best interests of a state to erect barriors for these kids (who have been graduated from state high schools) to get access to higher education? And is it fair to punish the children of illegals? Children who had nothing to do with the illegality? Every one of these kids should move toward citizenship as fast as possible. And if that means we have to simplify or compress the process, we should at least consider it.

IMO, the first order of business in dealing with illegal immigration is to stop it. The question of what we do with the millions of illegals and their kids who are already here is a much larger, more complicated problem. Rounding up 10 or 12 million people and shipping them out would be a legal, ethical, logistical quaqmire. I doubt we could afford it, even if we tried. It would, however, usher in a golden age for the open borders crowd and the ACLU.

In formulating our policy here, we should be careful not to cut off our nose to spite our face. At some point, we'll have enough bus boys and leaf blowers. Then what? Wouldn't we be better off if at least some of these young people got an education that prepared them for 21st century jobs and for citizenship, too? For the most part, having been graduated from state high schools, these young people are indistinguishable from other kids of Latino heritage, except for their immigration status. That's an important distinction, to be sure, but these kids aren't exactly Hester Prynne.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

*fail horn*
                            Holy...

How is that possible? Is it just that every prosecutor in the US is a failbot now?

"Your honor, we find the defendant incredibly guilty."
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Holy...

How is that possible? Is it just that every prosecutor in the US is a failbot now?

"Your honor, we find the defendant incredibly guilty."
                              Some articles I've read indicated that this was a prosecutorial reach, based more on the slimy character of this guy and less on the law. I believe NRO, among others, made that point. Frankly, I haven't been following it closely. I'm just satisfied he's out of public life. Although that could be a temporary matter. Just ask Alcee Hastings. I mean, what's to prevent this repulsive twerp from finding a pocket borough somewhere to send him to congress? Nada.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

*fail horn*
                                Politicians worthy of admiration thread is over there ----->

(or is that defense attorneys worthy of admiration)
                                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Working...
                                X