X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 3 - The Alan Trammell version

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I couldn't believe how young he looked when they showed the video of him and Maggs in 2005. I think he's aged 20 years in 7. He was struggling at the Lidstrom presser too. He's gone downhill fast, I don't know if he's got much time left.
    What does happen to the Wings and Tigers when he does go? Who does ownership go to, and are they going to be decent??
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Everything probably goes to Marian and I think they'll be decent for that period. Now I may be completely making this up but I thought I remembered hearing that she was the one who pushed him into finally putting money into the Tigers. Even if that isn't true I'd like to think she would continue to go for success.

After she passes, the teams will probably go to their son Chris who is CEO of Ilitch Holdings. I have no clue what if he would sell or keep the teams.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        What does happen to the Wings and Tigers when he does go? Who does ownership go to, and are they going to be decent??
        The Wings will be fine.....I think. The Tigers, on the other hand, are in a world of hurt when Mr. I passes. Marian wants nothing to do with this franchise. When they had the press conference for Prince Fielder, Mr. Ilitch said that it was the first presser she had attended in the 20 years they had owned the team.

Remember the PR fiascoes that occured a decade ago? The kids were involved. When the patriarch moves on, so do the $100 million payrolls.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

With today's loss, we're officially 1/3 of the way through the season. If I had to give out grades, half the team would be academically ineligible. We're 25-29, on pace for a 75-87 season.

I don't see things getting better. I don't see improvement. We've got some injuries, but most teams do. But when the regulars are in the lineup, too many of them are not producing. Fielder and Cabrera are doing their share. Cabrera's got 44 RBI, on pace for 132. Fielder's got 35, good for 105 on the season. Jackson has also kicked in more than his fair share. More or less, they're doing their jobs. But the others are not getting it done. We've got 3 guys with 20 RBI. That's not good enough. Peralta, Young, Boesch, and the black hole at 2B have been major disappointments.

Verlander has been rough in the past two starts, Smyly has dipped back to earth a little bit, and Fister can't stay healthy. Scherzer and Porcello have been all over the house in their outings. Casey Crosby was a mess the other night, and Adam Wilk wasn't any better. There isn't anyone in the bullpen, outside of Below and Villareal (), that you can point to and say that they have done their jobs.

I don't see improvement anywhere along the line on a consistent basis. We've shown no signs of the offense being ready to take off. It's a crapshoot when the bullpen comes in to a tight game. God knows what's going to happen when the bottom half of the rotation takes their turn. We might get a two-hitter. It might be the Luis Marte show in the 2nd inning. We don't know.

This has been our worst nightmare. I never figured this was going to happen. This has all the makings of an epic disaster.

We're in trouble.
          Last edited by Hammer; 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

This may have been covered. Is it just me or do players come up from Toledo and do ok hitting, then after McClendon gets hold of them they go downhill? I remember a couple of weeks ago Leyland saying their problems hitting are due to swinging at bad pitches. GENIOUS!!!! Now tell McClendon that. I just find it hard to beleive that there isn't an infielder (3rd, SS or 2nd) down in Toledo that couldn't play 2nd AND hit over the Mendoza line in Detroit.
            No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's probably been covered, but it's still relevant and in play. There are (many) times where I wonder what a hitter's approach is when he comes to the plate. I've seen too many 4-pitch walks, only to have the next hitter swing at the first pitch and pop one to 2B. Or they do the same thing when a reliever comes in.

Now, if a player simply is not a good hitter (looking squarely at Brandon Inge here), then Ted Williams is not going to be able to help him. And a Hall of Famer is not going to need a whole lot of input, for the most part. But a batting coach CAN work on the fundamentals and the mental approach at the plate. Those are two things I see that the Tiger lineup is lacking.

Also keep in mind that some of the hitters we have called up are career minor leaguers. Brad Eldred comes to mind. 32 years old, he's been through a few teams, and only a handful of big league games to speak of. Same thing with Quentin Berry, I suspect. If these guys were good hitters, they wouldn't be getting to the majors at 27, or by 32 they'd have a few years in the bigs.

Guys like that, I don't think there's a lot a hitting coach can do with them. But he can work with Boesch, Peralta, Young, and Danny Worth. There's no excuse for this many hitters to be struggling.
              Last edited by Hammer; 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                This may have been covered. Is it just me or do players come up from Toledo and do ok hitting, then after McClendon gets hold of them they go downhill? I remember a couple of weeks ago Leyland saying their problems hitting are due to swinging at bad pitches. GENIOUS!!!! Now tell McClendon that. I just find it hard to beleive that there isn't an infielder (3rd, SS or 2nd) down in Toledo that couldn't play 2nd AND hit over the Mendoza line in Detroit.
                Mostly .. it's just you.

Given, the problems which are well documented.But... Who thought at the start that Smiley would be this good. Who thought that Jackson would be hitting as well as he does. Who thought that Berry could play?

I think they will turn it around, and I think some of the issues will resolve favorably, but my concern is not the individual performances but more the locker room. if the room is not going that well then chemistry is a problem and we will not be a factor. If we have good locker room chemistry we should start winning games.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Smyly and Berry are starting to come back to earth. Wait a month on those two, once teams have seen them a time or two. Remember two seasons ago Boesch spent most of the first half of the season going nanners on the American League. He didn't even hit .200 the 2nd half of the year.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Smyly and Berry are starting to come back to earth. Wait a month on those two, once teams have seen them a time or two. Remember two seasons ago Boesch spent most of the first half of the season going nanners on the American League. He didn't even hit .200 the 2nd half of the year.
                    Yes of course but 'im happy for now and don't forget, valverde would have been out of that inning but for the error on the catcher would he not.He's not as bad as everyone thinks if you ask me. Peralta is starting to hit, dirks if he can stay healthy, is a plus player, and maybe the bottom of the line up will start to gel a bit more.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Here's what we've got in Toledo

Not much. There's no power to speak of, and the best middle infielder left is another 29-year old in Eric Patterson.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Yes of course but 'im happy for now and don't forget, valverde would have been out of that inning but for the error on the catcher would he not.He's not as bad as everyone thinks if you ask me. Peralta is starting to hit, dirks if he can stay healthy, is a plus player, and maybe the bottom of the line up will start to gel a bit more.
                      Valverde was brutal last night. 29 fastballs and only 13 of them were strikes. Hit 2 guys and walked 2 more. It was a minor miracle that he didn't give up 3-4 in the 9th. As for the rest of the order, there's not much left in Toledo, so they're going to have to pick it up or we're going to continue to bleed.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Just to note, the only middle infielder doing anything in Erie is Niuman Romero, a 27 year old hitting .304. There's Brent Dlugach, which we've seen before, and Corey Jones, hitting .239.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Nick Castellanos got called up to Erie after hitting .403 in 211 ABs in high-A ball.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

*nods*

It was a matter of time before that happened. Now we're going to start to find out if he's for real. If he could play 2nd, he might be in Detroit by now.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Smyly strikes out the side to begin tonight's game!

0 - 0 Tigers coming to bat in the bottom of the 1st.
                              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Cabrera doubles Berry in from 2nd.

Tigers 1 : 0 Tribe
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X