Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get hit on the ice? Press assault and battery charges!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get hit on the ice? Press assault and battery charges!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...112319130.html

The stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Re: Get hit on the ice? Press assault and battery charges!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Remind me, wasn't it in Massachusetts where a hockey dad beat his kid's coach to death a few years ago in a dispute over playing time? "Law and Order" did an episode.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

It could be tactical:
      1) Many of the dangerous/injurious/concussive hits we've all seen recently had no penalty called on the play. (I'm a youth hockey coach, and Minnesota Hockey sent us all videos this year of recent hits in youth hockey games that were not only dangerous and illegal, they also weren't penalized at the time.);
      2) People get frustrated when they ask for stronger rules, only to find out that a substantial percentage of the hits they're worried about already are illegal and just aren't getting called;
      3) So how do you get an organization to change if it doesn't want to change, even if it's paying lip-service? Fear of litigation. Another variation on the "you won't listen to what I have to say on taxes? Well I'll just chuck your tea into the harbor!" tactic.

I'm not saying I like living in such a litigious society, I'm just saying there's a chance the parents aren't suing simply because they thought the other guy should have apologized. They might be expressly looking long-term.
      Bugs Bunny - 96
      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Apparently you don't look at your own posts!

For that particular hit, maybe, maybe not, it does look like he comes up under the other player's chin rather than going through the body. Under NHL rules he is right on the edge of being suspended from the one view shown in the link. The article says the parents first asked for an apology and didn't get one. They would have been satisfied and stopped there, according to the article. How hard would it have been to say, "sorry he got hurt so bad." ?

More broadly, no, it is not necessarily stupid at all. Depends on the facts and circumstances.

Sometimes prosecutors take it upon themselves to file charges, even if they are not asked to.

Did you forget that Marty McSorley of the Bruins was convicted of assault with a weapon in 2000 for hitting Donald Brashear in the head with his stick?

Or, in 2004 when Todd Bertuzzi pled guilty to assault with bodily harm after he attacked Steve Moore from behind?

Wikipedia lists out 15 on-ice incidents in pro hockey that resulted in criminal charges being filed. Some acquitted, some convicted, some took a plea. It does not appear as if the victims of the hits asked for the prosecution either.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Violence_in_...ating_violence
        Last edited by FreshFish; 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Apparently you don't look at your own posts!

For that particular hit, maybe, maybe not, it does look like he comes up under the other player's chin rather than going through the body. Under NHL rules he is right on the edge of being suspended from the one view shown in the link. The article says the parents first asked for an apology and didn't get one. They would have been satisfied and stopped there, according to the article. How hard would it have been to say, "sorry he got hurt so bad." ?

More broadly, no, it is not necessarily stupid at all. Depends on the facts and circumstances.

Sometimes prosecutors take it upon themselves to file charges, even if they are not asked to.

Did you forget that Marty McSorley of the Bruins was convicted of assault with a weapon in 2000 for hitting Donald Brashear in the head with his stick?

Or, in 2004 when Todd Bertuzzi pled guilty to assault with bodily harm after he attacked Steve Moore from behind?

Wikipedia lists out 15 on-ice incidents in pro hockey that resulted in criminal charges being filed. Some acquitted, some convicted, some took a plea. It does not appear as if the victims of the hits asked for the prosecution either.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Violence_in_...ating_violence
          You may be right, Mr. Darrow. But the NHL is not exactly analogous to high school. I suspect these people are uber helicopter parents. And as you correctly point out, their actions are evidently in retaliation for not getting an apology. Hurt feelings are hardly the appropriate basis for seeking criminal redress.

That was also one of the worst, least informative "news" segments I've ever seen. Neither moms or daddums, nor their son appeared in the segment. They would certainly be the ones you'd want to interview, along with the parents of the other kid. Or as a last resort, coaches or athletic administrators. It could be none of the adults wanted to be on the tube. Or that the news department at that station is run by chimps. I'm leaning to the latter view. Weren't you enlightened to get the opinion of the clerk at the 7-11 (which just screams of reporter laziness)? So called "man on the street" segments are the bottom of the barrel and serious people avoid them like the plague. It's a cliche. Like local TV news showing up at the talk station to shoot some footage of the "hold" lights blinking so they can tell their audience "the whole town's talking about this." Lazy. Cliche.

If a reporter of mine had returned with this empty, uninformative, unimaginative segment, I would have grilled him about why none of the other, more appropriate people were included (this, of course, would have been discussed at the budget meeting before sending him out anyway. This wasn't a breaking story). And why did you do MOS in a 7-11? For cripes sake you were outside the rink, why not go inside and ask some hockey players or even skaters what they think? At least you'd have the visual of the rink. And if there's truly no way to get the right people, spike the story until there is.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Hmmm...hockey, criminal charges...I think Jack Parker found a new player!
            1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

All it would take is a judge willing to say "get the heck out of here". But that won't happen because the bar would have less to do and less money to make if every unhappy event couldn't be handled via lawsuit.

Shoes too tight? Sue somebody. Teacher gave your kid a C, sue somebody. Somebody takes your shopping cart, sue somebody. Borrow $100k to get a degree in massage therapy? Sue somebody.

The apologist nation is expanding every day.
              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

A judge tossed the case already, saying there was no probable cause to issue a criminal complaint:
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                  Hmmm...hockey, criminal charges...I think Jack Parker found a new player!
                  He's of the age where he would be committing to a college if he were to play... is he committed anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                  X