Excel Help v. 1,000,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Excel Help v. 1,000,000

I would recommend not using Access in a company that's medium to large size. It becomes untenable pretty fast. You will want to go to real a data warehouse solution. Access is fine for smallish companies tho.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I would recommend not using Access in a company that's medium to large size. It becomes untenable pretty fast. You will want to go to real a data warehouse solution. Access is fine for smallish companies tho.
      As the primary database yes, but Access can still be useful for reporting from data warehouses that have horiffic reporting features.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        As the primary database yes, but Access can still be useful for reporting from data warehouses that have horiffic reporting features.
        We do this all the time for ad hoc queries, link to SQL tables but write the queries in Access. Our in-house development apps using SQL queries, and for their ad hoc queries. While that'd be nice for we BAs, the bosses are not willing to pay the licensing fees for us to have SQL access.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Well, I work for a fairly large company. The long-term solution to the problem I'm solving is, hopefully, going to be a database like you're talking about, but the people that would do that work (I'm definitely not qualified), aren't doing anything with it. This is why I'm doing this excel project, to get us by in the meantime until the final project is launched and completed.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            It sounds like you should just use access
            why did microsoft invent access?

to make excel look good.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Let's suppose I have two columns of data, and each column either has an X or doesn't:

ColA ColB
              1. X
              2. X X
              4. X
              5. X X

I want to count how many of my five rows have an X in either column. If I use COUNTIF(range,"X"), I'll return the total number of Xs I see in the entire range. If I use COUNTIFS(ColA,"X",ColB,"X"), then I'm going to return the number of rows that have an X in both columns. Is there a function similar to COUNTIFS that I can use that would have an OR function embedded into it?

I'd prefer to not have to create a third column with IF(OR(ColA="X",ColB="X"),"X","") and run COUNT(ColC,"X").
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Let's suppose I have two columns of data, and each column either has an X or doesn't:

ColA ColB
                1. X
                2. X X
                4. X
                5. X X

I want to count how many of my five rows have an X in either column. If I use COUNTIF(range,"X"), I'll return the total number of Xs I see in the entire range. If I use COUNTIFS(ColA,"X",ColB,"X"), then I'm going to return the number of rows that have an X in both columns. Is there a function similar to COUNTIFS that I can use that would have an OR function embedded into it?

I'd prefer to not have to create a third column with IF(OR(ColA="X",ColB="X"),"X","") and run COUNT(ColC,"X").
                What about:
                SUM(COUNTIFS(ColA,"X"),COUNTIFS(ColB,"X"),(-1*COUNTIFS(ColA,"X",ColB,"X")))

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  What about:
                  Ya, the quick and dirty 1 cell solution is that or this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:B1,"x"),COUNTIF(A2:B2,"x"),COUNTIF(A3:B3,"x"),COUNTIF(A4:B4,"x"),COUNTIF(A5:B5,"x"))
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

What about:
                    Wouldn't =COUNTIFS(ColA,"X")+COUNTIFS(ColB,"X")-COUNTIFS(ColA,"X",ColB,"X") be simpler, or am I missing something?
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

how about ISBLANK?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Wouldn't =COUNTIFS(ColA,"X")+COUNTIFS(ColB,"X")-COUNTIFS(ColA,"X",ColB,"X") be simpler, or am I missing something?
                        They're effectively the same.

Comment

What about:
                          Works as well as anything I could think of.

Where it gets really complicated is if I had to do this over a three column spread (and it'd be a lot easier if there was an option within COUNTIFS that allowed for selecting an OR condition)
                          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I am trying to create hyperlinks to another sheet in my document. I need to copy the same link multiple times, then sort by a different column, then do the same thing for that column, etc.

After I do one column, and sort, the links all get messed up. Anyon e know how to get around this without having to do each cell inidivudally?

I also tried using =HYPERLINK(sheet!cell,"name"), and it only works the first time I click on it. After that, it says cannot open the specified file.
                            Last edited by jen; 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              I am trying to create hyperlinks to another sheet in my document. I need to copy the same link multiple times, then sort by a different column, then do the same thing for that column, etc.

After I do one column, and sort, the links all get messed up. Anyon e know how to get around this without having to do each cell inidivudally?

I also tried using =HYPERLINK(sheet!cell,"name"), and it only works the first time I click on it. After that, it says file not found.
                              My guess is that it gets messed up because you aren't making the cell placement permanent. Try using a dollar sign in front of the cell row and column (i.e. $A$2). Then it will never change.

If you only want one or the other to never change, you can just use the dollar sign in front of one of them (i.e. $A2, A$2).
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

My guess is that it gets messed up because you aren't making the cell placement permanent. Try using a dollar sign in front of the cell row and column (i.e. $A$2). Then it will never change.

If you only want one or the other to never change, you can just use the dollar sign in front of one of them (i.e. $A2, A$2).
                                didn't work. it isn't that the link points to the wrong place - it doesn't point anywhere. it's like it linked that cell, and when I sorted, it didn't sort the link along with the data.

this apparently was a known problem in 2007, but I have 2010 and can't find reference to it still being a problem there.

edit: it appears to be a problem with PASTING the links. anything pasted doesn't stay linked after the sort. if I do them all individually, it appears to work. 300 lines.
                                Last edited by jen; 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X