• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS III: Roberts' Rules of Order

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So that's why you switched sides?
    Well. Played.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

When is tenure not tenure?

http://blog.cardinalnewmansociety.or...e-appointment/

Interesting argument.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That argument seems to be: never.

Can't say that seems like a good idea.

(OTOH, I don't know why a private denominational university extends tenure in the first place. There would seem to be certain explicit limits on academic freedom inherent in having a school identified with a given religion.)
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That argument seems to be: never.

Can't say that seems like a good idea.

(OTOH, I don't know why a private denominational university extends tenure in the first place. There would seem to be certain explicit limits on academic freedom inherent in having a school identified with a given religion.)
          In regards to your OTOH - read this ditty and let me know your thoughts (text) (article on)
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Without seeing the text of the actual contract, it's hard to make an informed guess....

I suppose somewhere "tenure" is defined? then one could look at the definition, look at the behavior, and see if they conform or are disjoint, no?

In other words, no "tenure" is absolute, I'd guess, there is always something more important that overrides....say a person is convicted of a felony and goes to prison, don't they lose "tenure"?

Okay, I know that is extreme....the problem becomes like the sorites problem from philosophy: exactly where do you draw a "fine line" when the concept itself has an inherent vagueness?
            Last edited by FreshFish; 08-10-2012, 08:31 PM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              In regards to your OTOH - read this ditty and let me know your thoughts (text) (article on)
              I will read it.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So a House Committee sues Eric Holder.....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...t-and-furious/

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

EPA overruled....again.

According to a scoreboard by the American Action Forum, Tuesday's rebuke from the D.C. Circuit marks the 15th time that a federal court has struck down an Obama regulation, and the sixth smack-down for the Obama EPA.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    EPA overruled....again.
                    The Supreme Court is there to prevent a fascist dictator from gaining too much power. Now we need to re-educate people that "welfare" does not mean parenting the population.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      The Supreme Court is there to prevent a fascist dictator from gaining too much power. Now we need to re-educate people that "welfare" does not mean parenting the population.
                      That'll be a major reeducation effort!
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." --Lao-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                          I don't know if it is possible to "reeducate" lazy loser pieces of welfare trash.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." --Lao-Tzu
                            And the first step is a tough one for folks who have to get up out of the Lazyboy, put down the cheese balls, set aside the Big Gulp, and resist taking one more slice of Papa John's pizza.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

It can still happen. Put any country in the state of the Weimar Republic and a strongman will emerge.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                It can still happen. Put any country in the state of the Weimar Republic and a strongman will emerge.
                                I've got a wheelbarrow in the backyard. Hopefully all I haul in it is dirt and rock.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X