Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial Advice, 401k's, IRA's, Hiding it under a mattress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Financial Advice, 401k's, IRA's, Hiding it under a mattress...

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

I'm kind of in "and now we wait" mode. What should I throw money at next? Put it into the mortgage? Remodel the condo? Pay off student loans? Up my TSP? Keep it in the bank? More pinball machines? Hookers and blow? Zombie apocalypse bunker?
    I'll concur with freshfish (Jim Rogers)wait for opportunity and keep raising cash. I would definitely open an stock brokerage account, Roth IRA if you qualify and get comfortable with stocks. Maybe check out some CD (FDIC insured) 1,2 year out with higher interest rate to park your cash.

I would definitely not pay the 4% mortgage early, nor spend on remodeling the condo. I would consider paying off the car loan early so you can lower your insurance from full to liability. and maybe the student loan if it has high interest rate. but I like the cash.

So where is the opportunity to invest.
    1 Business (very risky but ...that's how you get super rich)
    2.Real estate (leverage, leverage, leverage, which makes it somewhat risky and can make you rich)
    3.Stocks (choppy market, need to buy more when it's doing badly)
    4.Bonds (I think the rates will have to go up, which means bonds will go no where or killed)

Comment

I've been hanging in very well the past couple years, but I'm wondering what the next step is.

Single guy, 28, about $26K in the bank. Savings goal is $1000 a month, which I can hit pretty regularly right now if I don't overdo it on toys and don't have any major catastrophes. One CC that I pay in full, usually runs about $600 a month including some bill pays.

Owe about $24K in student loans. The payments are not really a killer (about $180 a month,) plus if I stay with the feds for 10 years I hear they get forgiven. However, I'd like to help my parents with theirs at some point.

Currently have 5% going into my TSP (fed's 401k style retirement plan) with a 5% match. Everything is in common stock (logic is I'm young so ups and downs don't really affect me yet.) My rate of return was a little disappointing last year, though. Maybe I could shuffle it elsewhere, but where? What really beats common stock for rate of return?

Bought a small 2BR condo last year because I wanted to live in a better neighborhood. Purchase price $125K, I owe about $120K on a 30-year note, 4.125% interest (First Time Home Buyer loan, so I didn't make a huge down payment.) Home market in Anchorage is a little stagnant, but it mostly dodged the subprime shenanigans and Anchorage is out of land to develop, so it should at least be stable. All said and done, I'm paying what you would to rent here anyway. Goal for the condo is hold it for 3 to 5 years, then look at a nicer house with a basement/garage. It's in good shape, but a little plain-Jane and dated so it could use about $10K in remodeling. Would be a great rental candidate, but I'm not interested in opening that particular can of worms.

Just ending year 2 of a 6-year loan on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. It was my first major purchase out of college, so my interest rate sucks. This will probably be the first thing I pay off, I'll wait about another 2 years just so I'm not throwing money after depreciation. Actually, Jeeps hold their value like beasts, so I can get good salvage value for it if I ever decide I want something else.

I'm kind of in "and now we wait" mode. What should I throw money at next? Put it into the mortgage? Remodel the condo? Pay off student loans? Up my TSP? Keep it in the bank? More pinball machines? Hookers and blow? Zombie apocalypse bunker?
      If it was me in your place, I would do some combination of three things with my free cash flow:
      1.) Accelerate my payments on the Jeep, regardless of how long you intend to keep it, because the sooner you pay it off the less total interest you pay. If you student loans have an interest rate above 6.5% I would also consider accelerating payments on those.
      2.) Open a Roth IRA and set up automatic payments to fully fund it (5k) for the year.
      3.) Open a targeted savings account for updates to the condo (this can also be used as part of a future down payment if you end up not updating the condo)

Honestly, stockpiling cash is never a bad thins, but it is easy to squander any excess if you don't have a specific plan or goal for it (in my experience).

Comment

I've been hanging in very well the past couple years, but I'm wondering what the next step is.

Single guy, 28, about $26K in the bank. Savings goal is $1000 a month, which I can hit pretty regularly right now if I don't overdo it on toys and don't have any major catastrophes. One CC that I pay in full, usually runs about $600 a month including some bill pays.

Owe about $24K in student loans. The payments are not really a killer (about $180 a month,) plus if I stay with the feds for 10 years I hear they get forgiven. However, I'd like to help my parents with theirs at some point.

Currently have 5% going into my TSP (fed's 401k style retirement plan) with a 5% match. Everything is in common stock (logic is I'm young so ups and downs don't really affect me yet.) My rate of return was a little disappointing last year, though. Maybe I could shuffle it elsewhere, but where? What really beats common stock for rate of return?

Bought a small 2BR condo last year because I wanted to live in a better neighborhood. Purchase price $125K, I owe about $120K on a 30-year note, 4.125% interest (First Time Home Buyer loan, so I didn't make a huge down payment.) Home market in Anchorage is a little stagnant, but it mostly dodged the subprime shenanigans and Anchorage is out of land to develop, so it should at least be stable. All said and done, I'm paying what you would to rent here anyway. Goal for the condo is hold it for 3 to 5 years, then look at a nicer house with a basement/garage. It's in good shape, but a little plain-Jane and dated so it could use about $10K in remodeling. Would be a great rental candidate, but I'm not interested in opening that particular can of worms.

Just ending year 2 of a 6-year loan on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. It was my first major purchase out of college, so my interest rate sucks. This will probably be the first thing I pay off, I'll wait about another 2 years just so I'm not throwing money after depreciation. Actually, Jeeps hold their value like beasts, so I can get good salvage value for it if I ever decide I want something else.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

First of all, having $26K in the bank as an emergency fund is quite a feat considering your age and the fact that you are in a condo and have other living expenses. You are the only one that knows if that covers 6-8 months of your expenses. Good job.

Second, the condo is a solid investment and you can't go wrong on ownership at that interest rate.
        My suggestion is that if you plan to stay long term or use as a rental, make the investment on renovation. Otherwise, don't- you won't re-coup it.

Ownership on a depreciating asset (like a car) is only good as long as it is still servicable. The upside is the residual value as you get close to playing it down, so you can break even if you decide to dump it. If you feel confident in its utility after a few years, it is money in your pocket to own it.

The student loan note is probably the area I would concentrate on if you do not have any other debt. Like the mortgage,the interest paid is a good tax deduction, though. If the interest rate is favorable, though, and it sounds like it is based on your monthly payment, concentrate on the condo more than the fed note.Just beware the federal loan shenanigans where they have the right to change terms at their discretion.

Keep your credit cards paid off each month.

On the savings side, $1000.00 a month is outstanding, depending on your income level. Is that on top of the 5% in the TSP qualified fund? Diversity is always a key- including bond funds to offset any of the aggressive up and downs of the equities you are in. When you say common stock- is that a single stock or stock funds (like mutual funds?)

I'm not a big proponent of single stock investment. It's all or nothing risk in the market. If you can, look for more diversity and try to max your limit (401k is at $17,000 IIRC) instead of punching money into a savings account or MM fund.

There are some great mutual funds for the liquidity factor- tax exempt bond funds are getting anywhere from 3-6% return and offer federal tax exemption. I use them for clients I have for their rainy day funds all the time.
        Last edited by streaker; 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
          If it was me in your place, I would do some combination of three things with my free cash flow:
          1.) Accelerate my payments on the Jeep, regardless of how long you intend to keep it, because the sooner you pay it off the less total interest you pay. If you student loans have an interest rate above 6.5% I would also consider accelerating payments on those.
          2.) Open a Roth IRA and set up automatic payments to fully fund it (5k) for the year.
          3.) Open a targeted savings account for updates to the condo (this can also be used as part of a future down payment if you end up not updating the condo)

Honestly, stockpiling cash is never a bad thins, but it is easy to squander any excess if you don't have a specific plan or goal for it (in my experience).
          The Roth is another great idea, just beware of the cap imposed becuase of income and the 5,000 cap period (unless you are over 50, which you are not.)

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            The Roth is another great idea, just beware of the cap imposed because of income and the 5,000 cap period (unless you are over 50, which you are not.)
            the $107k-$122k phaseout on the Roth is a joke, anyone can contribute to a non-deductible IRA and then convert to a Roth. Provided that you have no portion of your IRA is deductable you have no additional taxes or penalties to pay except on the small gains that were made between contribution and conversion.
            Last edited by Almington; 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

the $107k-$122k phaseout on the Roth is a joke, anyone can contribute to a non-deductible IRA and then convert to a Roth. Provided that you have no portion of your IRA is deductable you have no additional taxes or penalties to pay except on the small gains that were made between contribution and conversion.
              Aren't they changing that at the end of 2012?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Aren't they changing that at the end of 2012?
                I don't know, it's up to congress and I'm always amazed that they can agree on anything that isn't self-serving.

Comment

I don't know, it's up to congress and I'm always amazed that they can agree on anything that isn't self-serving.
                  True that. I'd make a bet on them giving themselves a raise as their last piece of business, but that's like betting that a pair of dice will come up with a number less than 13. And we're talking craps dice, you D&D fanatics.

Comment

I'd make a bet on them giving themselves a raise as their last piece of business...
                    I think that would run afoul of Amendment XXVII.
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                      I think that would run afoul of Amendment XXVII.
                      No, because it takes effect the next term. It's still within Amendment XXVII limits.

Comment

It's a nice loophole, but yeah, beware of the conversion tax bite.

Comment

Maintain a cash reserve regardless of what else you do. Granted, you don't have to worry about being laid off like those working the private sector, but you still have to be prepared for potential disasters (car accident, health issues, and so on). Even with insurance, there is bound to be a potentially significant out of pocket cost to you should anything major happen (i.e. if you total your Jeep, the insurance company will pay you what it's worth, and that could be less than what you owe - depending on how much you put down / how much equity you have). I'd say 3 months' expenses is sufficient for a federal employee's emergency reserve.

For investment, the TSP system is as good as it gets for 401(k) plans. Nobody else comes close to their low expense ratios - not even Vanguard. The easiest thing for you to do is park all your TSP money in the L fund that corresponds with the year nearest to when you plan on retiring. Those funds are meant to maintain a proper balance between stocks and bonds as you progress through your career, becoming more defensive as your retirement year looms. I would recommend starting a Roth IRA if you haven't done so already and contribute the maximum each year if you can do so; invest that money in a low expense ETF or mutual fund. Depending on the size of your Roth relative to the size of your TSP, you could use it to invest in something like GLD or perhaps an REIT to further diversify your investment portfolio.

As far as your cash reserve goes, there's simply not a lot you can do with it that will yield a decent return and maintain liquidity. Money market accounts pay jack **** right now, and CD's aren't much better. You could try doing a CD ladder, but your yield will still be abysmal. You could try investing in lending club (peer to peer lending), although investing in loans means your money is tied up 3-5 years while waiting for the loans to be repaid (although your money will trickle back to you as the monthly payments are made). Lastly, I'd say check your insurance. Make sure you're not undercutting yourself there as doing that can needlessly put everything you've worked for at serious risk (think liability). Long term care insurance isn't a bad idea either, although most people don't look into that 'til they're pushing 40 (or older). If something happens to you and you become disabled, you can very quickly blow through your savings obtaining the necessary care.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            It's a nice loophole, but yeah, beware of the conversion tax bite.
                            Provided that you are only converting non-deductible contributions (that is contributions that you have (or for current year contributions: intend) to pay income tax on) you have no increased tax burden with the exception of any gains made between the time of contribution and conversion. Provided that the delay between the two actions is sufficiently short (no more than a month) that should be a overall small amount if you are making 6 figures but the savings from Roth should easily cancel that out.

Comment

No, because it takes effect the next term. It's still within Amendment XXVII limits.
                              The amendment requires that an election take place between the passage of a raise and its effect. It's my presumption that an "election" means the voting part, not the swearing-in part, so it is not strictly accurate to say that it's OK "because it takes effect the next term."
                              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Provided that you are only converting non-deductible contributions (that is contributions that you have (or for current year contributions: intend) to pay income tax on) you have no increased tax burden with the exception of any gains made between the time of contribution and conversion. Provided that the delay between the two actions is sufficiently short (no more than a month) that should be a overall small amount if you are making 6 figures but the savings from Roth should easily cancel that out.
                                Thats a big loop hole (for the wealthy). was it always there or did congress sneak that in later?

Comment

Working...
                                X