Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

If the Capitals, Panthers, and Senators win their series, 7 of the 8 remaining teams have never won a cup.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Interestingly, I think Phoenix just guaranteed another season in the desert. Atlanta to Winnipeg last year was about as fast as you can relocate a team. Moving them this offseason would probably also require realignment get discussed again (Quebec in the Pacific?), and Bettman/Fehr probably don't want another thing to debate.

On top of that, you're currently looking at May 10th or so for the earliest they could be eliminated and May 25ish and June 8thish for them advancing. That gives you less than three weeks for draft prep and while all of us would assume any buyer in Phoenix, Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City or Mars would beg Tippett and Maloney to stick around, Quebec might have their fans throw a Montreal style hissy fit if they don't speak French fluently enough (I have no idea.) or they like warm weather and quit, who knows.

The irony of them winning the Cup the year before they would move to Quebec would be rich, especially after the Avalanche won the Cup right after leaving Quebec.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Awesome? Well, if you're reflexively for underdog franchises, then clearly yes. But in the next round in the West, it looks like we'll be seeing a lot of immovable object vs. immovable object games. Defensive soccer on ice, anyone? If so, Gurt's "Ugh" may be the more accurate call...
        Oh no! Teams playing defense! How dare they try to have their opponents score less than them!

I'm kidding, there is a little bit of a slow pace with the remaining western team, but they do it well and good for them. I'm more on prezde's side here, but that's because I loathe the Hawks, Sharks and Canucks and I have a general distaste for the Red Wings.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
          Well, it seem like you're doing one heck of a Scooby impersonation here (now that's a low blow!), so I'm sorry for calling you a fartface.

I agree with you that the NHL is pretty dumb with how they handle initial suspensions. A one game sit down isn't going to teach anyone anything. And a 25 game suspension is only going to (hopefully) teach one guy a lesson. If they started out with say 5 games in the regular season and 2 in the playoffs for hits deemed dirty at a bare minimum, that would be something. But these days, you're correct, it takes a player a talking to, a fine, an inital suspension, and maybe one more suspension before they'd even get a whiff of 5 games...that's 4 players they could significantly injure or attempt to injure before they get to a length of penalty that might make them reconsider those types of hits, or make their team reconsider signing them/playing them anymore.
          I don't have a problem with throwing the book at Torres, as long as they do it to others also, and not just an easy target like Torres. Hayes shouldn't get what Torres got, but if the NHL is really about getting serious on plays that can seriously injure players, they can't just pick the easy targets and wait until a player has a number of offenses before getting serious. The first time there's a hit, like boarding, where a player can get seriously injured, the potential for the serious injury is present there and should be dealt with accordingly. That's where I think making such a big deal about being a repeat offender is a bit of a copout and weakens the message that the NHL is serious about injuries. A player can get hurt badly just as much on a first offense as a fourth offense.

Oh, and let's all savor the Coyotes franchise winning its first playoff series since 1987, and first in Phoenix. That takes some doing to go that long without winning a series. Of course the franchise, which has little margin for error, has made huge mistakes that hampered it, such as having Gretkzy for coach for awhile.
          Last edited by Bob Gray; 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Nashville, St. Louis, L.A. & Phoenix?

Ugh...
            I look forward to your Blackhawks autopsy.

Crawford isn't why they lost, but I'd like to see an upgrade in goal next year.

Lost in all this: Here's hoping Hossa's career isn't over.
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              I look forward to your Blackhawks autopsy.

Crawford isn't why they lost, but I'd like to see an upgrade in goal next year.

Two years ago Chicago and Philly convinced everyone that goaltending was essentially overrated and half the league went cheap on their goaltending.

Now you've got 2 elite goaltenders and 3 goalies behind 2 excellent defensive systems in the West. Duck when you see the pendulum fly by.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                That would certainly help the salary cap to get that monster contract off the books, eh?

Seriously though: I saw a few tweets this morning saying that Hossa has had a rough few days. We all know Pronger hasn't been the same since his, and Hell it took David Perron almost a year to recover from his. I remember the day he had his first "good day," the Blues issued a press release saying Perron could finally play XBox and NHL12 without getting dizzy.

It's going to take time for Hossa to recover.

Also: how many concussions has Hossa had in his career? I've been told that after the fourth or fifth CONFIRMED concussion that most all NHL teams sit the player down and explain ways to allow the player to finish the contract and be an ambassador for the program. Lord knows how many concussions get dismissed by a player as a bout of flu or an innocent headache?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  Two things. There aren't any Sens fans around to gripe about the questionable calls going the other way
                  What questionable calls going the other way? the only thing the Rangers got away with all game was Neil getting some payback for headhunting on Boyle the other night, and even that was balanced by the Sens' second goal (I dislike the use of the term "questionable" because it's so obvious he kicks it in that there isn't a question about it). Prust gets called for a cross-check in front of the net, fine, but then at the other end Anderson slashes him in the leg and another guy cross-checks him and here's no call. Trips all over the place. And look it what it takes for Lundqvist to draw an interference penalty vs. the minimal contact Kreider made with Anderson.
                  Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                  A lot of clutching and grabbing, which the Rangers' top pair benefits greatly from because they don't have to use a ton of energy to disrupt plays.
                  Wait, what? The Sens have played the last five games like the 1995 Devils (complete with Neil doing his Scott Stevens impression) because they saw in game 1 that they can't compete if they play clean, and the RANGERS are benefiting from clutching and grabbing? You've got to be joking.
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Based on Bradley-Terry rankings (i.e., KRACH) found here, the updated (after 4/23) most likely outcomes are:

West:LAK in 5 (100%), STL in 5 (100%), PHX in 6 (100%), NSH in 5 (100%)
                    East: NYR in 7 (62.4%), BOS in 7 (53.9%), FLA in 6 (46.6%), PHI in 6 (100%)

Overall winning probabilities:
                    West
                    VAN 0.00% - LAK 100.0%
                    STL 100.0% - SJS 0.00%
                    PHX 100.0% - CHI 0.00%
                    NSH 100.0% - DET 0.00%

East
                    NYR 62.4% - OTT 37.6%
                    BOS 53.9% - WAS 46.1%
                    FLA 71.5% - NJD 28.5%
                    PIT 0.00% - PHI 100.0%

As always, KRACH is not a perfect predictive system. In fact, it's not predictive at all; it's retrodictive. Home-ice advantage, momentum, and the like can not be accounted for reliably, so they are ignored.

Remarks: The West is set. I have a brand new sheet ready in my spreadsheet for the next round, but I'll keep the results to myself for now.

Next Round possibilities:
                    Code:
                    West
                    STL - LAK
                    CHI - NSH

-------------------------------------
                    |EAST |             HOME            |
                    |CONF.|-----------------------------|
                    |     | NYR | BOS | FLA | PHI | NJD |
                    |-----------------------------------|
                    | |FLA|XXXXX|24.1%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                    | |---|-----------------------------|
                    |A|PHI|24.1%|9.58%|35.1%|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                    |W|---|-----------------------------|
                    |A|NJD|9.58%|XXXXX|XXXXX|14.0%|XXXXX|
                    |Y|---|-----------------------------|
                    | |WAS|28.8%|XXXXX|XXXXX|12.4%|4.94%|
                    | |---|-----------------------------|
                    | |OTT|XXXXX|20.2%|12.4%|4.94%|XXXXX|
                    -------------------------------------
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                      that was balanced by the Sens' second goal (I dislike the use of the term "questionable" because it's so obvious he kicks it in that there isn't a question about it).
                      Neil obviously TRIED to kick it in, but the replays I saw looked like he missed and his skate went over the puck without making contact, and the puck went in after contact with Lundqvist's stick. Definitely inconclusive - I couldn't see the refs overturning that either way (whether they ruled it a good goal or non-goal on the ice). More questionable to me was Neil using his stick like a push-broom to sweep Lundqvist out of the way.
                      Last edited by DisplacedCornellian; 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

By no means am I a Rangers fan nor am I a Sens hater, but man did I love seeing Chris Neil whine to the officials after being crushed by Del Zotto. What a cry baby clown.

On the disputed goal, there was a replay where it looks like Neil kicks it and there was also a replay where it looks like he tried but missed. I can't conclusively say that I ever saw a replay where it looked like Lundqvist knocked it in himself. The physics involved would seem to tell you that Neil did in fact kick it in. That was a very tough call. If it were waved off initially, I think it would have stayed that way.

I thought the calls on Kreider and Foligno were both soft. Anderson clearly initiated the contact with Kreider, but just because it was in the crease...that makes it goalie interference? I don't get that.

Comment

wonder if Neil will get fined for this statement on Del Zotto.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...f-these-times/
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Umm, Mr. Neil, never, ever, under any circumstances are you to "admire" your pass. Let go of the puck and turn your head - you may see someone coming your way.

What a Bozo.

Comment

The fact he's *****ing about someone like Del Zotto hitting him makes it even better.

Comment

By the way, does anyone know the difference between Chris Neil and Chris Phillips? As far as I can tell, they're the exact same player but with a different last name.
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X