Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    They seem quite content with their current level of fandom and suckitude, if you ask me.
    If they weren't they'd replace Snow.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Kepler, I'm just curious. Are you an Islanders fan? My point is that Boston fans are no more insufferable than New York fans.
      It's a different kind of insufferable (I'm mostly comparing Rangers and Bruins fans here, since my Islanders actually have no fans). They're both obnoxious and self-obsessed, but New York fans bring their own horn section, while Boston fans bring their own violin.

Second City Syndrome has always been a shade more irritating.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The NHL got twice as much coverage as the NFL? The End is nigh! Repent!

http://deadspin.com/5904225/bristolm...ium=socialflow
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Given how the Hawks/Yotes series has had absolutely zero flow, momentum, or predictability to it, I'm clueless as to what to expect tonight... Well, except for the fact that the game will start at 8pm CST and given that I have to be up for work at 3:45am tomorrow, it will go 4OT

The Hawks have been such a bipolar team this postseason... They will start the game with pressure, then just fall off for the middle half of the game.... I don't know if it's frustration with the trap that PHX plays or what... We need to get to desperation time to get a fire lit it seems... I dunno if we can hold on for a 6th straight game tonight... PHX doesn't seem to have anywhere near the mental fatigue that the Hawks have faced this series...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            No, they're both equally irritating...
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
              The NHL got twice as much coverage as the NFL? The End is nigh! Repent!

http://deadspin.com/5904225/bristolm...ium=socialflow
              And yet the 15 most mentioned names...

LeBron James: 45
              Dwight Howard: 42
              Albert Pujols: 37
              Kevin Durant: 32
              Andrew Bynum: 26
              Derrick Rose: 26
              Pat Summitt: 23
              Dwayne Wade: 22
              Carmelo Anthony: 21
              Derek Jeter: 20
              Russell Westbrook: 19
              Stan Van Gundy: 18
              Drew Brees: 18
              Matt Kemp: 17
              Blake Griffin: 16
              Not a single hockey player.

Of course, 30% of the time spent on the NHL were covering the Pittsburgh Penguins. Now that their hero Crysbaby is eliminated, they can go back to ignoring hockey again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It's a different kind of insufferable (I'm mostly comparing Rangers and Bruins fans here, since my Islanders actually have no fans). They're both obnoxious and self-obsessed, but New York fans bring their own horn section, while Boston fans bring their own violin.

I think anyone who is an Isles fan shouldn't talk about any other fan base. The whole glass house thing king of comes mind.
                My Four Favorite teams:
                RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Based on Bradley-Terry rankings (i.e., KRACH) found here, the updated (after 4/22, old KRACH) most likely outcomes are:

West:LAK in 5 (100%), STL in 5 (100%), PHX in 6 (49.7%), NSH in 5 (100%)
                  East: OTT in 6 (38.3%), BOS in 7 (52.9%), FLA in 6 (46.6%), PHI in 6 (100%)

Overall winning probabilities:
                  West
                  VAN 0.00% - LAK 100.0%
                  STL 100.0% - SJS 0.00%
                  PHX 74.7% - CHI 25.3%
                  NSH 100.0% - DET 0.00%

East
                  NYR 38.0% - OTT 62.0%
                  BOS 52.9% - WAS 47.1%
                  FLA 71.5% - NJD 28.5%
                  PIT 0.00% - PHI 100.0%

As always, KRACH is not a perfect predictive system. In fact, it's not predictive at all; it's retrodictive. Home-ice advantage, momentum, and the like can not be accounted for reliably, so they are ignored.

Remarks: By the numbers, Ottawa winning tonight is just barely more likely to happen than NYR winning the next two (38.336% to 38.025%), which sort of highlights the scenario I proposed after Game 1 of the VAN-LAK series. In fact, before the KRACHs were updated to reflect the Sens' Game 5 victory, the Rangers victory in 7 was more likely than either Ottawa winning scenario, though Ottawa was more likely to win the series in any fashion. In other news, 3 of the 4 series have been correctly predicted by KRACH so far, and I think everyone can agree that Quick and the Kings are much better than their record indicates. When the round is all over, I'll have a little wrap-up post commenting on how likely each of the actual outcomes seemed at the round's start.

Next Round possibilities:
                  Code:
                  -------------------------
                  |WEST |    HOME         |
                  |CONF.|-----------------|
                  |     | STL | PHX | NSH |
                  |-----------------------|
                  |A|NSH|XXXXX|74.7%|XXXXX|
                  |W|---|-----------------|
                  |A|CHI|XXXXX|XXXXX|25.3%|
                  |Y|---|-----------------|
                  | |LAK| 100%|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                  -------------------------

-------------------------------------
                  |EAST |             HOME            |
                  |CONF.|-----------------------------|
                  |     | NYR | BOS | FLA | PHI | NJD |
                  |-----------------------------------|
                  | |FLA|XXXXX|14.4%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                  | |---|-----------------------------|
                  |A|PHI|14.4%|5.72%|36.3%|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                  |W|---|-----------------------------|
                  |A|NJD|5.72%|XXXXX|XXXXX|14.4%|XXXXX|
                  |Y|---|-----------------------------|
                  | |WAS|17.9%|XXXXX|XXXXX|20.9%|8.31%|
                  | |---|-----------------------------|
                  | |OTT|XXXXX|32.8%|20.9%|8.31%|XXXXX|
                  -------------------------------------
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    And yet the 15 most mentioned names...

Not a single hockey player.

Of course, 30% of the time spent on the NHL were covering the Pittsburgh Penguins. Now that their hero Crysbaby is eliminated, they can go back to ignoring hockey again.
                    There are quite a few interesting thoughts that can be discussed about why there was so much NHL talk on SportsCenter last week, why it will stop almost immediately and why not one of the most mentioned athletes was a hockey player, but they're more suited for the "Complain about ESPN" thread.

The slightly condensed version:
                    • The NHL had a lot of interesting and meaningful games this week, so ESPN was going to cover it on the basis of "having a good story on SportsCenter". As much as we're all convinced that they're biased against the NHL because they don't have the rights to it, they are still also going to be biased towards covering "good stories" to a certain extent.
                    • In a mixture of the "good stories" and "hating the NHL" angle, there were also plenty of officiating/cheap shot/player suspension controversies for ESPN to latch onto to try to make the league look bad.
                    • The mentions of individual athletes item is where ESPN chooses to show its favoritism. Think of the Jeremy Lin or Tim Tebow over-saturation: how often were those names mentioned on air in the context of showing highlights or analyzing the previous night's game? If you said "not anywhere near as often as the 'sources say that...'/'here's what this athlete said on twitter' reports and inane talking head segments where pundits yammer on about the 'historical significance' of Tim Tebow throwing an incomplete pass", you would be right. When they want to promote a player, team or sport, they're more likely to do it by finding stupid reasons to say their names a bunch of times than they are to show more highlights.
                    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 04-23-2012, 05:42 PM.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Chris Neil wasn't suspended for his cheap shot that concussed Boyle?
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Can someone explain to me why Chris Neil wasn't suspended for his cheap shot that concussed Boyle?
                        Because the CBC needs a Canadian team for Round 2.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Of course the should-be suspended Neil would score on us.

Comment

The Sens play such garbage hockey. It's like the '90s Devils reincarnated. Trip and hold at every opportunity because they can't call everything.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

So after the first round of the playoffs is over and before the second round begins I'm in favor of a cage match between Rafi Torres and Metta World Peace. Could be pay-per-view box office gold.
                              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Rick Nash woulda been nice to have.

Comment

Working...
                                X