This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 - The USCHO debates

It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.
    Hubert H. Humphrey
    Here is the bill text, all 1000+ pages...

Let's get to it!

What begins on Page 424 Line 5 is scary....
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 - The USCHO debates

Debates? What makes you think there will be debates?

Automatic gainsaying? check.
    Pure contradiction? check.
    Ad hominem attacks? check.
    Name calling? check.

Debates? Pshaw!

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Debates? What makes you think there will be debates?

Automatic gainsaying? check.
      Pure contradiction? check.
      Ad hominem attacks? check.
      Name calling? check.

Debates? Pshaw!

Well we could put this on eLynah and let Rich in.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Interesting comments from Thomas Sowell, one of our country's leading economists:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ion_97543.html

Another link to a story about a guy who isn't too happy about the fact that under the universal health care bill he (as an individual) will be fined by the government $2500 a year if he chooses not to buy health insurance. (You can also click on the video at the right on this link to view the video of the guy asking his democratic senator about this at a town hall meeting.

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...?storyid=88729
        Last edited by Bill; 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

One of the best first steps to lowering the cost of healthcare would be to take it out of the hands of employers and put it in the hands of the consumer that is using. Then the people themselves will demand cost savings and there will be real competition. However, the new plan will probably set in stone the employer-based system.

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
            One of the best first steps to lowering the cost of healthcare would be to take it out of the hands of employers and put it in the hands of the consumer that is using. Then the people themselves will demand cost savings and there will be real competition. However, the new plan will probably set in stone the employer-based system.
            If the new plan goes through many employers will wind up dumping their health care plans, thus forcing their employees into the government sponsored plan. The new plan will increase employer costs so much that many of them won't want to bother with providing health insurance anymore.

We currently have the best health care system in the world. The new plan will trash that. A better approach would be to keep our current system but reduce the influence of the big medical/pharmaceutical lobbies in Washington. But our Congressmen don't like that approach because their pockets wouldn't be lined with as much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              If the new plan goes through many employers will wind up dumping their health care plans, thus forcing their employees into the government sponsored plan. The new plan will increase employer costs so much that many of them won't want to bother with providing health insurance anymore.

We currently have the best health care system in the world. The new plan will trash that. A better approach would be to keep our current system but reduce the influence of the big medical/pharmaceutical lobbies in Washington. But our Congressmen don't like that approach because their pockets wouldn't be lined with as much money.

2010 vote every **** one of them out of office.
              When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it......

Remarks on Signing the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988
                July 1, 1988

It was in my 1987 State of the Union Address -- and by the way, one of the best parts of this job is that from time to time you get to quote yourself -- [laughter] -- but it was in my State of the Union Address that I said, ``Let us remove a financial specter facing our older Americans: the fear of an illness so expensive that it can result in having to make an intolerable choice between bankruptcy and death.'' Well, our administration, I went on to say, would soon submit legislation ``to help free the elderly from the fear of catastrophic illness.''

Well, that initiative has produced an historic piece of legislation, and in a moment, I will sign the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988. This legislation will help remove a terrible threat from the lives of elderly and disabled Americans, the threat of an illness requiring acute care, one so devastating that it could wipe out the savings of an entire lifetime. The scene is only too easy to picture. An elderly couple, perhaps one has a very long stay in the hospital; the other forced to empty the savings account, to skimp on groceries. And even for those never actually forced into this situation, there's the gnawing worry, the fear, that someday it might just happen. This legislation will change that, replacing worry and fear with peace of mind.

I'm proud to be able to note that the legislation follows the same premise as all sound insurance programs. It will be paid for by those who are covered by its services. Even so, I must add a word of caution. Every administration since the Medicare program was passed has worried about the seemingly uncontrollable cost increases in our government health care programs. Whoever the President in office, program costs have exceeded the best congressional budget estimates. Unless we're careful, it's possible that aspects of this legislation will do the same.

In particular, the legislation provides many new benefits, benefits like respite care and prescription drugs. Since these have never been covered by Medicare, we have no real way of knowing how much these services will cost. So, if future administrations and Congresses aren't diligent, these new benefits could contribute to a program we can't afford. This could be more than a budget problem; it could be a tragedy. The program, after all, is to be paid for by the elderly themselves. So, we must control the costs of these new benefits, or we'll harm the very people we're trying to help. And yet, if administered with prudence, this program can, as I said, provide countless Americans with peace of mind.

Many people share the credit for this achievement. In fact, I feel a little like an Academy Award winner back in my old profession: No matter how many I thank, I'm afraid I'll leave somebody out. There were the hundreds who testified at the regional meetings. There was the public-private working group consisting of many of the Nation's leading health experts. There were the Senators and Representatives of both parties, like Dan Rostenkowski, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee; Lloyd Bentsen, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee; John Dingell, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee; Bill Gradison; Pete Stark; and many others, some of whom are on the dais with me today, who toiled, compromised, and sacrificed. There were the elderly and their organizations who agreed to pay for this new benefit rather than have it placed on the backs of their children. And there was our Secretary of Health and Human Services, Dr. Otis Bowen, working tirelessly to bring this achievement about.

On behalf of a grateful nation, I thank you all. And now let me sign this historic legislation, the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988.

Note: The President spoke at 10:31 a.m. in the Rose Garden at the White House. H.R. 2470, approved July 1, was assigned Public Law No. 100 - 360.
                In November 1989 it was repealed. An analysis of the repeal can be found here.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Why do you hate America?

Obama already said the time for talking was over. Delete this thread.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Why do you hate America?

Debate is not allowed during Messiah's rule.
                    "Richard, you know I love my family, but that's no reason why I should have to acknowledge them in broad daylight."

Comment

Why do you hate America?

Let's keep the thread going since it ****es you off. Obama flaps his jaws quite a bit. Why do you hate America since you're an Obama supporter?

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
                        Let's keep the thread going since it ****es you off
                        I know you think I'm a god, but I'm not Obama, so keeping the thread going doesn't bother me one bit.

If you're going to stalk me again, please let me know ahead of time so I can ignore you quicker.

Comment

I know you think I'm a god, but I'm not Obama, so keeping the thread going doesn't bother me one bit.

If you're going to stalk me again, please let me know ahead of time so I can ignore you quicker.

No not God but Spawn of Satan maybe

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlackBears View Post
                            No not God but Spawn of Satan maybe
                            I'm harmless. You need to relax a little, maybe get a hobby or something, as long as it's a hobby that doesn't include bizarre obsessions with posters on an Internet message board.

Comment

I'm harmless. You need to relax a little, maybe get a hobby or something, as long as it's a hobby that doesn't include bizarre obsessions with posters on an Internet message board.
                              Or blow-up Obama dolls.
                              "Richard, you know I love my family, but that's no reason why I should have to acknowledge them in broad daylight."

Comment

Working...
                              X