Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Athlete of All-time

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Let's include poker players, too! I mean, 12+ hours of pure mental strength, crunching numbers, 3-4 days in a row, maybe more...it's difficult. Not a sport, but hey, we're counting games/activities/hobbies, so why not?!
    And we just lost the immortal Don Carter.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      And we just lost the immortal Don Carter.
      First rule of Sport/Non-sport:

Can you smoke a cig/have a beer while performing said activity, with little to no deviation from your skill set?

Bowling is #1 on that list.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

First rule of Sport/Non-sport:

Can you smoke a cig/have a beer while performing said activity, with little to no deviation from your skill set?

Bowling is #1 on that list.
        How about Desi Arnaz? Banging on that conga drum during Babaloo has got to require both strength and endurance?
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Animals are not athletes. Sorry, but they are not.

What's next? Let's find some greyhound racing champion! Woo hoo!

Back to horses, what about dressage (basically horse dancing)? Horse racing : skating races = dressage : ice dancing
          I know what you think about it and I don't care. Secretariat is included along with golfers and race car drivers. If you don't like it, just don't vote for them.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So what makes an athlete. Strength, speed, quickness, endurance, but also superior skills to other athletes. I'd vote for Secretariat in a heartbeat, or if you want Man-o-War, he might even have been better. Both were far superior to the competition. But yeah, horses count in my book. And the Belmont is significantly longer than two minutes.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

You should crowd source the list, pare it down to say 128 names (or 64 if you get fewer nominees). Then, rank them by nominations received and do head-to-head votes till you get to a final 2. Be almost like march madness then.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                You should crowd source the list, pare it down to say 128 names (or 64 if you get fewer nominees). Then, rank them by nominations received and do head-to-head votes till you get to a final 2. Be almost like march madness then.
                My goal is 128 names. Then I'm going to put them into polls with 16 athletes, spreading out the highest "seeds" among 8 different polls, and filling down until all polls are full. I'm going to take the top 4 from each poll to get down to 32, and then it will be head to head after that. 1 vs. 32, 2 vs. 31, etc.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I know what you think about it and I don't care. Secretariat is included along with golfers and race car drivers. If you don't like it, just don't vote for them.
                  Dressage represent! I demand it!
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Animals are not athletes. Sorry, but they are not.

What's next? Let's find some greyhound racing champion! Woo hoo!

Back to horses, what about dressage (basically horse dancing)? Horse racing : skating races = dressage : ice dancing
                    I have to agree with Brent here. Even if you consider racehorses athletes, it just makes too much sense to restrict the tournament to *human* athletes. Otherwise don't you have to look into racing greyhounds and fighting birds and bulls that killed a lot of matadors and any other examples of athletic animals?
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                      I have to agree with Brent here. Even if you consider racehorses athletes, it just makes too much sense to restrict the tournament to *human* athletes. Otherwise don't you have to look into racing greyhounds and fighting birds and bulls that killed a lot of matadors and any other examples of athletic animals?
                      Aren't humans animals? Pretty much eliminates everyone!
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        Aren't humans animals? Pretty much eliminates everyone!
                        I am not an animal! I'm a human being! /Elephant Man

Comment

Well, Bodacious is already on the list.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Forget those. The slowest, most uncoordinated cheetah you could ever find is a better athlete than *any* human. Humans only, please.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I think horses should be included, but if not, my nomination is Usain Bolt.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If you are looking for a well-rounded athlete, a combination of strength, stamina, agility, quickness, and endurance, you'd be hard-pressed to find a tougher sport than wrestling. I'd nominate Dan Gable.

So many of our nominations for best athlete are people who have developed a freakish ability at a highly-specialized skill: hitting a baseball, shooting a basketball, running really fast, running really fast while jumping over things, etc.

Oh, also if you are looking for a good place for additional nominations, I'd suggest anyone who ever made the cover of a Wheaties cereal box....

The tradition has included hundreds of athletes from many different sports, and also team depictions.
                                When I first had the idea, I had no idea that there were so many athletes depicted there at one time or another! I guess you'd have to pare it down to get to 128, and even then there are lots of people from outside the US to consider.

link added in the word "cover"
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X