This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Sad Case of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Les & Jenny - for you (and any others I forgot)

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76260_10151150383841236_787146028_n.jpg******
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Not sure I know what self insure means. I'm saying we need to change the law so employers cannot under any circumstances provide Health Care. That way we can truly have a consumer based system. May actually drive some of the costs down.
      To me, self insure means that the entire risk is on the company, not palmed off to a 3rd party insurance agency.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        les & jenny - for you (and any others i forgot)

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/76260_10151150383841236_787146028_n.jpg******
        stupic code won't let me smile!!

Comment

To me, self insure means that the entire risk is on the company, not palmed off to a 3rd party insurance agency.
          Pretty close. Self-insure means your risk pool is limited to your own employees, and you have to pony up the excess claims cost or pocket the excess premium income (it is virtually impossible for premium income + investment income = claims outflow as rates are always set prospectively while claims are always incurred retrospetively, so to speak). Many times a "self-" insured entity will also have excess stop-loss coverage from a commercial insurer to protect against catastrophic claims experience. Many self-insured risk pools are run merely to break even, which also makes them more affordable since you don't need to include a margin for profit.

Insure with a separate insurance company means your risk pool is spread out over the insurance company's risk pool and in the short run the insurance company ponies up for excess claims or pockets excess premium income; however one year's experience (or rolling average of several years) becomes the basis for the subsequent year's premiums.

Insurance companies are roughly like the house in Vegas: you smooth out any one individual's experience over the experience of a large number of people, pay out most of what you take in, and keep a relatively small amount as profit.

In Scooby's model, he cannot forbid employers from offering insurance as that would run afoul of the First Amendment's right to free association; however we can sever the link between employer and employee generally throughout the economy while still allowing self-insured employers to offer coverage to their employees; it would merely be a slight reshuffling of paperwork under the aegis of the state insurance commissioner.
          Last edited by FreshFish; 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Les & Jenny - for you (and any others I forgot)

Joe-Jenny sends a big kiss!
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Joe-Jenny sends a big kiss!
              Did she go to RPI? If so, I think she violated the 'tute Code of Conduct by kissing a Techer.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Did she go to RPI? If so, I think she violated the 'tute Code of Conduct by kissing a Techer.
                Back in the 60's when I was at RPI-there was nothing on campus like her. Most of what was there needed to have chromosomal testing to be sure they had 2 XX's.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Many self-insured risk pools are run merely to break even, which also makes them more affordable since you don't need to include a margin for profit.
                  Insurance companies are roughly like the house in Vegas: you smooth out any one individual's experience over the experience of a large number of people, pay out most of what you take in, and keep a relatively small amount as profit.
                  So tell me again why we don't just go single-payer through an entity that inherently does not have a profit motive?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    So tell me again why we don't just go single-payer through an entity that inherently does not have a profit motive?
                    Administrative incompetence and lack of a viable alternative if they screw up.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

If this tweet is to believed, more full timers going part time....
                      Sarah Nelson ‏@sarahsside
                      Voting for 'revenge' has a price tag: @cr4z3d21 I'm working for Publix grocery, in 2013 they're cutting full timers & hiring part time only
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If this tweet is to believed, more full timers going part time....
                        This will happen everywhere until Congress writes a law that says companies can't do that or they go single payer and it won't matter
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Administrative incompetence and lack of a viable alternative if they screw up.
                          Because the current insurance companies are the paragon of administrative competence? And what viable alternative do we have when they screw up?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Because the current insurance companies are the paragon of administrative competence? And what viable alternative do we have when they screw up?
                            None. Fighting insurance companies is not easy.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              None. Fighting insurance companies is not easy.
                              No argument there.

At the same time, if you had to fight, which of these two do you choose for your opponent: an insurance company, or the IRS?

Comment

No argument there.

At the same time, if you had to fight, which of these two do you choose for your opponent: an insurance company, or the IRS?
                                I'd rather move to Iceland.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X