X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Sad Case of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Hey, here's an idea! Let's pass a really unpopular law with lots of draconian restrictions, and then assume no one will then change their behavior as a result!

oops.....

Ah, just what we needed in an economy stuck in chronic under-employment!
    Just highlights how screwed up it is to have Health Care attached to employment. It should be illegal for employers to offer it as a benefit. That way all employers would be on the same footing. Then we'd get rid of employee pools and have one big pool of consumer based Health Care. Move it to insurance companies and I can one stop shop for all my insurance needs if I want to.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Just highlights how screwed up it is to have Health Care attached to employment. It should be illegal for employers to offer it as a benefit. That way all employers would be on the same footing. Then we'd get rid of employee pools and have one big pool of consumer based Health Care. Move it to insurance companies and I can one stop shop for all my insurance needs if I want to.
      I would absolutely support this. All you have to do is end the tax deduction on health care benefits - helps cut the deficit and allows the market more control of insurance pricing in one fell swoop. What's not to like?
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        I would absolutely support this. All you have to do is end the tax deduction on health care benefits - helps cut the deficit and allows the market more control of insurance pricing in one fell swoop. What's not to like?
        I've been wanting this for years. I'm sick of employers whining about Health Insurance costs. It's a win-win. I may even get a rebate on my Health Insurance if I have my homeowners and car at the same place.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Certainly not jealous of the circumstances that brought you to that but jealous of the being able to just care for people without constraints. It must have been heavenly.
          Natural disasters are probably going to be the only times that will happen.

Just had to post this for you & DrD. (glad you're safe and helping). New record for me today.

45y/o F with an RBS of 2050mg% alert and not acidotic at all. Really....2050. Rechecked 3 times.
          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
          Groucho Marx
          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
          Ron White
          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
          Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            The upside is that they will have to hire more part time workers to cover the 10 hours (or more) not worked.

It was a badly written law that needs to be repealed and replaced. This time, TAKE YOUR TIME AND GET IT RIGHT (Momma always said Haste Makes Waste)!! Imagine if they tried passing the 1986 Tax Reform like they passed the ACA? Who knows what mess we would have gotten?
            The problem is that there was really only a tiny window in which anything could be passed. Republicans completely disagreed that health care should be a fundamental right for citizens in the US. This led the Dems to rush to implement something while they had power, knowing full well if they waited until their 2010 trouncing nothing would ever get done.

The beauty is that no matter who is in charge, it will cost our kids trillions. With the Reps it will be disastrous foreign policy, with the Dems it's domestic.

Comment

Just highlights how screwed up it is to have Health Care attached to employment..... Then we'd get rid of employee pools and have one big pool of consumer based Health Care. Move it to insurance companies and I can one stop shop for all my insurance needs if I want to.
              widespread concurrence on this point at least.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

One thing that needs to be done if you do this, though, is the insurance equivalent of repealing Glass-Steagall. What that means is that you need to be able to purchase insurance across state lines. Some smaller states (e.g. Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota) may end up having only one insurer due to population size, which creates another issue in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Hey, here's an idea! Let's pass a really unpopular law with lots of draconian restrictions, and then assume no one will then change their behavior as a result!

oops.....Ah, just what we needed in an economy stuck in chronic under-employment!
                  Can't speak to any other profession but in hospitals the trend toward PT workers to avoid benefits has been going on a lot longer than the Bill has been here (Somewhere >10 yrs where I am). This is true of all positions, not just medical staff. With less FT workers you need less FT bennies, less cohesiveness to organize if you don't like something. Now I think of it 15 yrs ago my Mum ran into this in temp work- they hired her for temp stuff but never made her FT to avoid the bennies. I don't buy the Bill being the cause of it all. There is a shift to mobility rather than loyalty in companies and workers. This is a symptom.

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

Just had to post this for you & DrD. (glad you're safe and helping). New record for me today.

45y/o F with an RBS of 2050mg% alert and not acidotic at all. Really....2050. Rechecked 3 times.
                  Holy crap

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    I've been wanting this for years. I'm sick of employers whining about Health Insurance costs. It's a win-win. I may even get a rebate on my Health Insurance if I have my homeowners and car at the same place.
                    How would this affect companies that self-insure?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Certainly not jealous of the circumstances that brought you to that but jealous of the being able to just care for people without constraints. It must have been heavenly.
                      Knew you would understand-for a couple of old fogies like Jenny and I-it was like turning the clock back. Have not felt these emotions in years. Practicing old time medicine the old fashioned way and it was wonderful!
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post

2050??? Holy cow-i would sell at that level and buy it back when you get her back down to the 150 range. In all seriousness in my 44 years in medicine i have not seen that level or even close to it without ketoacidosis.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          2050??? Holy cow-i would sell at that level and buy it back when you get her back down to the 150 range. In all seriousness in my 44 years in medicine i have not seen that level or even close to it without ketoacidosis.
                          Never treated someone who each day drank a case of pop, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Never treated someone who each day drank a case of pop, eh?
                            We did have a lady from Ireland who was an old time Irish whiskey maker. From the time she was a child she would take some profit by drinking a quarter of what she made each day and replacing it, diluting it to 100 proof, with water. We figured she averaged about 1-2 quarts per day of pure alcohol. When we treated her she was long retired from the business but still drinking about 1 quart of whiskey per day (starting at 6AM for breakfast). She often came into the office at 8AM completely toasted to the gills. I lost track of her so do not know how old she was when she died but I took the last skin cancer off her forehead when she was 98 years old!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              How would this affect companies that self-insure?
                              Not sure I know what self insure means. I'm saying we need to change the law so employers cannot under any circumstances provide Health Care. That way we can truly have a consumer based system. May actually drive some of the costs down.

Comment

A new Obamacare requirement has just been implemented. If you run a small business, you now must submit to daily prostate exams, even if you are a woman.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X