X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Sad Case of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by sagard View Post
    Why should they be exempt from paying for things they hate? I hate us spending money on wars and ridiculous "homeland security." I pay plenty of taxes.
    This. Conscientious objectors are released from serving in the military - they are not exempt from paying taxes that fund the military.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      This. Conscientious objectors are released from serving in the military - they are not exempt from paying taxes that fund the military.
      One of the (very) few tenets of libertarianism I still agree with holds that the state's first priority is to protect its monopoly of force, and it does this by using all its other forces -- social, economic, technological, religious, and political -- to ruthlessly maintain it.

(Where libertarians are wrong is that they think this is specific to the state, whereas in reality it is simply a property of power.)
      Last edited by Kepler; 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Nope. Pro Life groups are anti-sex.
        No. We like sex. We just think that abortion should not be used as a method of birth control. There is a sub-set that thinks birth control is misguided, too. But that's a small circle inside of a big circle.

However, I think we could reach agreement that sex without love is pleasure, not joy.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          If a few groups wish to be philanthropists and provide that at their cost, that's their prerogative. To force unwilling groups to do that is just plain wrong, and is the entire crux of the argument.
          Let me know when I can stop paying for things like farm and oil subsidies, the TSA, and the department of homeland security, and then we'll talk.
          Last edited by unofan; 10-06-2012, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Is there a problem with this graph??

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/399400_10150961640840954_1510463149_n.jpg******
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just got our information for our 2013 health insurance plans.

Premiums: Up 8%
              Deductibles: Up 14%
              Annual OOP Max: Up 5%

Coverage Changes:
              The following women's heath services are covered at 100% due to HCRA: Annual well-woman visit, FDA-approved prescription contraceptives, breastfeeding supplies and sounseling, etc.
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I'll bet there are similar graphs for, say, the number of scientists at science companies, or engineers at engineering firms, or programmers at software companies.

Which is not to say there isn't a problem, but I think it's a reflection of a larger economic phenomenon than health care.

(And speaking as a non-engineer at an engineering company... what problem?! )
                Last edited by Kepler; 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The graph is US Economy under trickle down 101.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Just got our information for our 2013 health insurance plans.

Premiums: Up 8%
                  Deductibles: Up 14%
                  Annual OOP Max: Up 5%

Coverage Changes:
                  The following women's heath services are covered at 100% due to HCRA: Annual well-woman visit, FDA-approved prescription contraceptives, breastfeeding supplies and sounseling, etc.

The increase in medical costs is low considering the add-ons. Many years we saw 20% increases with decreases in benefits.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I'll bet there are similar graphs for, say, the number of scientists at science companies, or engineers at engineering firms, or programmers at software companies.

Which is not to say there isn't a problem, but I think it's a reflection of a larger economic phenomenon than health care.

(And speaking as a non-engineer at an engineering company... what problem?! )
                    As an engineer for a medical device company, I see the exact opposite. We are having to do our own admin work which leaves less time for actual engineering that costs both us and our customers and the consumers money. So this is a big problem.

*yes I'm typing this while at work putting off doing some of my admin stuff. No engineering for me today.

Comment

On a good week, I get to spend about 4 hours (10%) on engineering.

"We'll give all the engineers MS Office," they said. "They'll be able to keep their own schedules, draft their own memos, create their own presentations, and author their own documents," they said. "We'll save so much money by eliminating secretaries," they said. Well, now they have a a workforce of overpaid secretaries with 4-year engineering degrees shuffling @$%@ paper around all day. Good thinking.

Comment

*****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/399400_10150961640840954_1510463149_n.jpg******
                        Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        On a good week, I get to spend about 4 hours (10%) on engineering.

"We'll give all the engineers MS Office," they said. "They'll be able to keep their own schedules, draft their own memos, create their own presentations, and author their own documents," they said. "We'll save so much money by eliminating secretaries," they said. Well, now they have a a workforce of overpaid secretaries with 4-year engineering degrees shuffling @$%@ paper around all day. Good thinking.
                        Trickle Down Economic Theory 101
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Couldn't have anything to do with all the regulations and admin work required by the gov't

You could probably put a nearly identical graph over education
                          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

[QUOTE=joecct;5513439]
                            Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                            Couldn't have anything to do with all the regulations and admin work required by the gov't
                            That we have engineers doing things other than just engineering?

No, I don't think it has anything to do with regulations. It has to do with the way we run our companies nowadays.

Comment

I genuinely don't understand how you link this to Trickle Down. To me, it's just short-sighted managers being penny-wise and pound-foolish, straight up - nothing more complicated than that.

Comment

[QUOTE=ScoobyDoo;5516184]

That we have engineers doing things other than just engineering?

No, I don't think it has anything to do with regulations. It has to do with the way we run our companies nowadays.
                                No, the fact that there has been an explosion in admin positions in industries that gov't has a major influence in. Still trying to figure out how you manage to put the talking point of Trickle Down Economics on that one. Not to mention how you contradict yourself by saying that both additional admin and lack of admin are trickle down.
                                "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Working...
                                X