X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreshFish
    replied
    Re: The Sad Case of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

One of the most unfortunate elements of PPACA (which I notice the Romney campaign is now highlighting) is the "medical devices tax."

You wonder what the staffers who came up with this nugget were thinking. Are they unaware of even the most basic elements of human behavior?

If you want more of something you lower its price, if you want less of something you raise its price.

Why would anyone ever think of adding a special tax on medical devices when we want to reduce healthcare costs, not increase them? when we want to reward innovation, not stifle it?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Not so much PPACA, but this is getting scary.... http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...e9c_story.html

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Not backpedaling. Freshfish still hasn't said what he'd do to those who make poor choices in his mythical system. He made some analogy that is generically vague. My guess is I'm on the money but he doesn't want to admit it.
    If you make a poor choice, then you should pay the consequences. It's high time we reward those who carry the water over those who drink the water.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Too late to backpedal a little.
    Not backpedaling. Freshfish still hasn't said what he'd do to those who make poor choices in his mythical system. He made some analogy that is generically vague. My guess is I'm on the money but he doesn't want to admit it.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    The point is, nobody denies global warming is happening at the "moment", outside 3 or 4 county fair-goers in Idaho. The main question is whether natural cycles are only ever annual, or can last for decades or centuries.
    The people who are in the first two camps don't have the ability to think in the long-term. Natural cycles sure as heck aren't annual, they're MUCH longer than that.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    I'm simply pointing out exactly what a Randian must truly believe if they want a purely market based health care system.
    Too late to backpedal a little.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    It's just typical unofan over the top partisan commentary.
    I'm simply pointing out exactly what a Randian must truly believe if they want a purely market based health care system.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You still don't have concrete proof on that. Similar fluctuations were recorded in temperature even before the Industrial era!
    If we're going to go off on this topic, let me first clear up some misunderstandings: there are 3 main camps. I think clearly the largest one thinks that global warming is a man-made disaster whether or not we can do anything to stop it, but we ought to try. The second thinks global warming is a man-made disaster that we'll have to adapt to out of economic necessity and the limitations of our power to stop it even if we had infinite money to spend on trying (limits of knowledge and technology). The third large group thinks global warming is similar to past changes and is not significantly tied to human activity and it would be foolish of us to attempt to control it, but that it's a part of our natural world. As I've got one foot in the third and most extreme group, let me just add that the technology to accurately measure global temperature and the rates of changes therein have only been around for a minuscule amount of time. The fossil record tells us very little in this regard (quick short-term swings like we're now experiencing).

The point is, nobody denies global warming is happening at the "moment", outside 3 or 4 county fair-goers in Idaho. The main question is whether natural cycles are only ever annual, or can last for decades or centuries.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    So you guys are finally coming around on climate change?
    Climate change has been going on for millions of years; anthropogenic climate change in the past 100 years....who can trust any data at this point?

and there is a saying in medicine about the cure being worse than the disease, no?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    All the signs that said, "Don't Touch My Medicare" were at Tea Party rallies.
    Nobody's perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    ah, but would you stop feeding him / her? would you not allow them back into your house?

That's what you suggested I would do in this situation, you know.

It's a gnarly situation with no easy answers, eh?

Everything doesn't always have to be constant warfare....
    It's just typical unofan over the top partisan commentary.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

I have no clue why Mittens is supporting it; like I said, I'm not voting for him. As for the TEA Party, the Republican takeover version may support it, but the real TEA Party, who backs people such as Herman Cain, do not.
    All the signs that said, "Don't Touch My Medicare" were at Tea Party rallies.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Why does the Tea Party and Mitt Romney want to preserve Medicare then? Every bullet point in that PDF if bad.
    I have no clue why Mittens is supporting it; like I said, I'm not voting for him. As for the TEA Party, the Republican takeover version may support it, but the real TEA Party, who backs people such as Herman Cain, do not.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Medicare is actually a designed monopoly. It is a FELONY for a physician to accept a cash payment for a procedure that is covered by Medicare but cannot be funded at the time (1997 Balanced Budget Act, Section 4507). Also, in order to receive Social Security, you MUST enroll in Medicare.

http://www.cchfreedom.org/files/file...%204_14_12.pdf
    Why does the Tea Party and Mitt Romney want to preserve Medicare then? Every bullet point in that PDF if bad.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    So you guys are finally coming around on climate change?
    You still don't have concrete proof on that. Similar fluctuations were recorded in temperature even before the Industrial era!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X