• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: The Sad Case of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Secularism is, in fact, an establishment of religion.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    There are a-holes on all sides. These a-holes are not in charge of the House of Representatives.
    They were when the act in question was passed.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    There are a-holes on all sides. These a-holes are not in charge of the House of Representatives.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

The path to theocracy is paved with good intentions. We are seeing right now in the Middle East what happens when the public space is conditional on private religious beliefs.
    So's the path to secularism --> http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...b91_story.html

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

The path to theocracy is paved with good intentions.
    so progressivism is now a secular theocracy, eh?

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Birth control is legal and millions of women use it.
    and that makes it mandatory how, exactly?

("mandatory" in the sense that all health plans now must offer it..sounds like someone imposing their values on everyone else to me, and to every reasonable person I know as well. Of course, all you anointed ones on the left know better than everyone else, so why even bother responding to us in the first place? just impose your will by force of law and ignore the centuries of First Amendment rights)
    Last edited by FreshFish; 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Hey I keep waiting for this New-Conservative Kingdom On Earth to come but the voters always seem to get in the way. Given that the largest generation in the country today is Millenials, I'm not sure an anti-birth control platform is the way to go but far be it from me to start advising neo-cons on how to run their campaigns. Keep the Todd Akin's coming!
    High Weirdness that the fundy base should look for foreign policy guidance to atheist Neocons and for economic guidance to atheist Randians.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

The people decide Flag. If like minded people such as yourself would like to either 1) restrict/ban birth control access, or 2) pass laws denying coverage, be my guest. I don't like your electoral prospects with a stance like this, but go for it. The American public have it in their power to toss Obama out of his job in a few months if they'd like. That's the beauty of living in a democracy.

For kicks though, tell me why having your insurer cover birth control harms *anybody*. Nobody's forcing people to use it, anymore than coverage for a heart transplant doesn't make you get one if you don't need it.
    As an American that believes in free enterprise, I will support and defend the ability of any American to offer the services that they so desire, regardless of whether or not I personally agree with someone offering or not offering the service. Why someone believes that a service should not be offered I cannot answer, seeing as how I am not that specific someone. You would need to ask that person.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

The path to theocracy is paved with good intentions. We are seeing right now in the Middle East what happens when the public space is conditional on private religious beliefs.
    Hey I keep waiting for this New-Conservative Kingdom On Earth to come but the voters always seem to get in the way. Given that the largest generation in the country today is Millenials, I'm not sure an anti-birth control platform is the way to go but far be it from me to start advising neo-cons on how to run their campaigns. Keep the Todd Akin's coming!

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Don't tell that to anyone in Alabama, Mississippi, or Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Just because something is legal doesn't force someone to provide for it. Guavas are legal, but I know plenty of grocery stores that don't sell them. If you want a guava, but the store you walk into doesn't sell guavas, you go to another store that does. The same thing is true with medicine. If you want a birth control pill, but a certain location doesn't sell them, you go to another location.
    The people decide Flag. If like minded people such as yourself would like to either 1) restrict/ban birth control access, or 2) pass laws denying coverage, be my guest. I don't like your electoral prospects with a stance like this, but go for it. The American public have it in their power to toss Obama out of his job in a few months if they'd like. That's the beauty of living in a democracy.

For kicks though, tell me why having your insurer cover birth control harms *anybody*. Nobody's forcing people to use it, anymore than coverage for a heart transplant doesn't make you get one if you don't need it.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Fishy, buddy, this issue was settled in the 1950's by the SCOTUS. Birth control is legal and millions of women use it. Now perhaps your situation doesn't bring you in touch with this fact, but that's your problem (and frankly answers a lot of questions). 10 crankly knuckledraggers upset because they haven't gotten laid in years can't use that frustration to deny millions of women a legal product. I'd suggest you invent a time machine, get transported back to the 1920's, study law, graduate at the top of your class, and then get appointed to the SCOTUS in time to help hand down that decision if you don't like it.
    Just because something is legal doesn't force someone to provide for it. Guavas are legal, but I know plenty of grocery stores that don't sell them. If you want a guava, but the store you walk into doesn't sell guavas, you go to another store that does. The same thing is true with medicine. If you want a birth control pill, but a certain location doesn't sell them, you go to another location.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    um, isn't that exactly what Sandra Fluke and Kathleen Sebelius are doing????

or are you saying it is okay to tailor health insurance to your moral code but not to a moral code you don't agree with??
    Fishy, buddy, this issue was settled in the 1950's by the SCOTUS. Birth control is legal and millions of women use it. Now perhaps your situation doesn't bring you in touch with this fact, but that's your problem (and frankly answers a lot of questions). 10 crankly knuckledraggers upset because they haven't gotten laid in years can't use that frustration to deny millions of women a legal product. I'd suggest you invent a time machine, get transported back to the 1920's, study law, graduate at the top of your class, and then get appointed to the SCOTUS in time to help hand down that decision if you don't like it.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

You can't tailor health insurance to everyone's moral code.
    um, isn't that exactly what Sandra Fluke and Kathleen Sebelius are doing????

or are you saying it is okay to tailor health insurance to your moral code but not to a moral code you don't agree with??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X