Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

It does look awesome though. And that cop movie got a really good review today, also.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      It does look awesome though. And that cop movie got a really good review today, also.
      End of Watch. I am intrigued as well. Same guy that did Training Day.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

The Master was also directed by Paul Thomas Anderson who directed There Will Be Blood - in fact his first movie since.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          The Master was also directed by Paul Thomas Anderson who directed There Will Be Blood - in fact his first movie since.
          Hubbard is a really interesting subject for a genuine biopic. He was a con man of course, and likely suffered from psychotic breaks with reality, but on top of all that he was also involved with all sorts of bizarre things throughout many decades of activity. He would have been fascinating to know. Not pleasant, but fascinating.

A lot of the Golden Agers (Heinlein, Asimov, Hubbard, John Cambell, and later, Dick) were as toxic as they were gifted. Those all night discussions at the pulps must have been the Greatest Dorm BS Sessions in world history.
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            End of Watch. I am intrigued as well. Same guy that did Training Day.
            The minority lead....the one in The Shooter, IIRC, is the factor that kinda hooked me into believing this could be good.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Just got back from The Master. Well acted, but the score was pretty exhausting to take in aurally. Have to decompress to really figure out what I thought of it, but my takeaway is that it felt close to being a lot of hot hair and smoke and mirrors of a movie (perhaps it was just that meta but I doubt it), but I know Joaquin Phoenix will get a well deserved Oscar nod for his performance, he was beyond spectacular.

And I recant my earlier harshness on the Lincoln trailer, saw it on the big screen and it comes across much, much better there.
              Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                Just got back from The Master. Well acted, but the score was pretty exhausting to take in aurally. Have to decompress to really figure out what I thought of it, but my takeaway is that it felt close to being a lot of hot hair and smoke and mirrors of a movie (perhaps it was just that meta but I doubt it), but I know Joaquin Phoenix will get a well deserved Oscar nod for his performance, he was beyond spectacular.

And I recant my earlier harshness on the Lincoln trailer, saw it on the big screen and it comes across much, much better there.
                Most of PTA's movies need a second look to take it all in. And for Lincoln, it's DDL. You have to convince me it's NOT a great performance, and probably not a great movie. Less effort in the latter although that's still a tough argument.

Comment

I rarely get excited about movies before they come out, but here's the trailer for "42", the movie about Jackie Robinson coming out next year. Please, please be good.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    I rarely get excited about movies before they come out, but here's the trailer for "42", the movie about Jackie Robinson coming out next year. Please, please be good.
                    Based on the title, I was expecting it to be a sequel to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      Agreed. The preview looks good. Hopefully the movie is. Two quick thoughts: LOVE the idea of Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey, and I liked the last image of the trailer, of Reese standing with his arm around Robinson. I hope that the movie touches on the evolving relationship between those two without demonizing Pee Wee. This could be a really great movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        The minority lead....the one in The Shooter, IIRC, is the factor that kinda hooked me into believing this could be good.
                        Jake Gyllenhaal is white.

the state of hockey is good

Comment

*****http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/monday-motivate-3.jpg******

Comment

I have to say, I'm really excited to see Looper and Taken 2. I was utterly shocked when I saw the tomatometer for Looper.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I have to say, I'm really excited to see Looper and Taken 2. I was utterly shocked when I saw the tomatometer for Looper.
                              Join MNS and I (and whoever) on opening night in St Louis Park to see Taken 2, followed by TK's. I am going to see Taken 2 opening day. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Join MNS and I (and whoever) on opening night in St Louis Park to see Taken 2, followed by TK's. I am going to see Taken 2 opening day. Period.
                                I think I'm in for that.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X