Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest. Out of the 3 I liked Vertigo the most, then Rear Window with North by Northwest my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're bad, they just didn't pull me in like Casablanca did.
    Well, you watched 3 of his best.

If Vertigo was your fave then you might like Psycho or Dial "M" For Murder. I love Hitchcock though so I'm extremely biased and probably can't understand why anyone wouldn't like it.

Other films to watch?

Double Idemnity
    And anything directed by Billy Wilder. Sunset Boulevard may be my favorite movie not directed by Hitchcock.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

As part of my attempt to watch more of the classic movies, I watched Casablanca tonight. The first 3 I watched were Hitchcock movies and none of them really resonated with me, so I wanted to change it up and try something different. I thought Casablanca was very good, I'd put it ahead of all of the 3 Hitchcock movies I watched. It took a little while to build, but really not long enough for me to really care, since that is just what many good movies do. I'm now more encouraged that I'll enjoy many older movies, so I should keep mixing them into my queue. Any suggestions on what I should tackle next?
      What do you like most -- plot, action, clever dialog, character relationships?

What genres do you like -- drama, horror, comedy, adventure, mystery?

What "scale" do you like -- epic, location films, city films, "stage play" intimacy?

Something you should keep in mind with old vs new movies. Many new movies start "in media res" (in the middle of things) -- that was a stylistic choice by some post-WW2 directors and it's spread to become a cliche of modern movies. Old movies are more patterned after novels and plays and they have a well-defined (often a little contrived) ramp up. It's just one of those things to get used to. Another thing is the absence of quick cuts. Long two person scenes with few angles and very long holds on one character are the norm, and it can be hard to get used to if your reference is more modern movies. Shadow is also far, far more important. Going from B&W to color took away as much of the palette as it added.

Oh, one other thing. I recommend watching them with no electronic distractions -- cell phones off, computer in another room. Having people watching together can be great, as long as they aren't just yapping. The dialog of many older movies is faster, wittier, and very hard to follow unless you pay attention. It's worth the effort, but watching a classic the way we watch say "When Harry Met Sally" doesn't work -- you miss all the best parts. Older movies' soundtracks are also very different. They will use what seem like outlandishly over the top phrases to denote a change in mood, but they don't hand-hold like emotional wet nurses the way modern movies do. Older movies force you -- but allow you -- to think for yourself far more.

I envy you the experience of discovering these movies for the first time. They're amazing.
      Last edited by Kepler; 09-10-2012, 10:22 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For the rest of you for suggestions? bbdl doesn't like to "read" movies IIRC, so foreign ones are out.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          For the rest of you for suggestions? bbdl doesn't like to "read" movies IIRC, so foreign ones are out.
          When I read, I read books, which I actually do quite often.

Kepler: Plot; drama, adventure or mystery; epic or location films. Whatcha got for me. (really, I'm up for anything, but I only sprinkle them in about 1 every 4 or 5 movies, so I don't really watch them quickly)

edit: I've also seen Lawrence of Arabia
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Kepler: Plot; drama, adventure or mystery; epic or location films. Whatcha got for me. (really, I'm up for anything, but I only sprinkle them in about 1 every 4 or 5 movies, so I don't really watch them quickly)

Manhattan Melodrama was pretty good, with Clark Gable. And it has a hockey scene in it.

I will admit, the only reason I know about THAT movie is because Depp was watching it in "Public Enemies" (which came out a couple years ago). I was curious as to what movie entertained the character so much. Found out, watched it, and was entertained.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'll just spitball. You've probably seen some of these.

The Maltese Falcon
              Sleuth
              Double Indemnity
              The Man Who Would Be King
              Casablanca
              It Happened One Night
              Shane
              Sunset Boulevard
              The Thirty Nine Steps
              Twelve O'Clock High
              The Third Man
              Vertigo
              Ben Hur
              The Deer Hunter
              The Agony and the Ecstasy
              In the Heat of the Night

Outside your genre choices but still worth stretching for:

Singin in the Rain
              All About Eve
              West Side Story
              A Clockwork Orange
              Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
              Dr. Strangelove
              The Bank Dick (W.C. Fields)
              A Night at the Opera (The Marx Brothers)
              The General (Buster Keaton)
              Safety Last (Harold Lloyd)
              Any Max Fleisher pre-code Betty Boop cartoon (1930-34)
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

As part of my attempt to watch more of the classic movies, I watched Casablanca tonight. The first 3 I watched were Hitchcock movies and none of them really resonated with me, so I wanted to change it up and try something different. I thought Casablanca was very good, I'd put it ahead of all of the 3 Hitchcock movies I watched. It took a little while to build, but really not long enough for me to really care, since that is just what many good movies do. I'm now more encouraged that I'll enjoy many older movies, so I should keep mixing them into my queue. Any suggestions on what I should tackle next?
                Stagecoach
                His Girl Friday
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Any Max Fleisher pre-code Betty Boop cartoon (1930-34)
                  What "pre-code"?
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I have added a bunch to my queue.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      What "pre-code"?
                      Basically MPAA stuff, IIRC.

And West Side Story was great. Clockwork Orange and Deer Hunter were a bit overrated, but good.

Apocalypse Now is another slightly overrated, but quality movie. Of course, The Ride Of The Valkyries is the best scene out of that movie. Love that scene.

Comment

Clockwork Orange was terrible. As was 75% of 2001.

Kubrick is the single most overrated Director of all time.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Clockwork Orange was terrible. As was 75% of 2001.

Kubrick is the single most overrated Director of all time.
                          My only beef with Clockwork was the made up slang. That bugged the hell outta me. You NEED subtitles on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            My only beef with Clockwork was the made up slang. That bugged the hell outta me. You NEED subtitles on that.
                            In my opinion, he toned it down from the book.

Interesting note, every single movie Kubrick made started out as a book or short story which he then adapted.

I thought Clockwork Orange was great. The story is great allegory for society taking things too far - the destruction on one end and the overreaction the other. I have to admit, it was tough to watch the first time through when they were in the midst of "curing" him. It wasn't the images of the films they were showing him, it was watching McDowell himself that was difficult.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              It Happened One Night
                              There really is a great timeless quality about this movie. It's 77 years old and it works just as well now as it did then. Plus you can watch Clark Gable chew the scenery for 100 minutes.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                In my opinion, he toned it down from the book.

Interesting note, every single movie Kubrick made started out as a book or short story which he then adapted.

I thought Clockwork Orange was great. The story is great allegory for society taking things too far - the destruction on one end and the overreaction the other. I have to admit, it was tough to watch the first time through when they were in the midst of "curing" him. It wasn't the images of the films they were showing him, it was watching McDowell himself that was difficult.
                                I really think it's a shame that he made the movie with the American ending and not the original one. (The American publisher thought the book was too long, so they shortened it by literally just not including the last chapter.) If you enjoy either the book or the movie, get your hands on a copy that includes the final chapter (which was first made available in the US about ten years ago). To me, the last chapter dramatically changes the story. (You can tell whether the last chapter is there because Burgess wrote three 7-chapter sections. If the third section has one chapter less than the others, it is the American version.)

That said, I didn't like the movie, and agree that Kubrick was over-rated.

One thing that made the book more interesting to me is that it makes it clear that the slang Brent mentioned comes from a Russian/English hybrid (think Spanglish but with Russian) and you actually understand what they are saying when they say it.
                                Last edited by duper; 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X