Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

I watched the new True Grit again (and enjoyed it even more than the first time - I love the language they use) and have a new favorite line I'll be awaiting my chance to put into use: "He not only does not cease to talk but he spills the banks of English."
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

We saw Expendables 2 yesterday. The short and sweet of it is that it's not as good as 1, despite the addition of Chuck Norris and more face time for Arnold and Bruce.

But, as Mrs. P put it, any movie in which Van Damme dies is a good movie.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I watched Hanna last weekend. It didn't really hold my interest. I suppose it would be good if you're really into that kind of movie, or if you have a thing for teenage girls, but I don't think its worth the time if you don't.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I watched Hanna last weekend. It didn't really hold my interest. I suppose it would be good if you're really into that kind of movie, or if you have a thing for teenage girls, but I don't think its worth the time if you don't.
          By that kind of movie I'm guessing you mean "art film"? I thought it worked well as that. It was marketed as an action movie and that was stupid -- it isn't.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            By that kind of movie I'm guessing you mean "art film"? I thought it worked well as that. It was marketed as an action movie and that was stupid -- it isn't.
            I didn't really think of it as an art film either, I can't place what it is, because you're right, it shouldn't have been marketed as an action movie. It was almost like a hybrid between art film and action movie, or art film people make an action movie. Whatever it was, I didn't think it worked, because it just didn't hold my attention. (and I'm not someone that needs flashy special effects and non-stop action to hold my attention)
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is still one of my all time favorite movies, could watch that anytime.

Comment

I didn't really think of it as an art film either, I can't place what it is, because you're right, it shouldn't have been marketed as an action movie. It was almost like a hybrid between art film and action movie, or art film people make an action movie. Whatever it was, I didn't think it worked, because it just didn't hold my attention. (and I'm not someone that needs flashy special effects and non-stop action to hold my attention)
                I liked it a lot. There were some eye-rolling moments towards the end when the director began yelling I Am A Serious Artiste!, but on the whole, great movie, jaw-dropping cinematography, and whatsername was great as the lead.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is still one of my all time favorite movies, could watch that anytime.
                  Freakin' love that movie. Everything about it. Especially the soundtrack.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, evidently the free market didn't use the colossal failure of the first film to prevent the second one from being made:

Atlas Shrugged II: Shrug Harder.

******* id="sbPlayer" width="625" height="377" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">****** name="movie" value="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/cs006/71/548419/">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** name="wmode" value="transparent">****** src="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/cs006/71/548419/" width="625" height="377" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent">
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Atlas Shrugged II: Shrug Harder
                    I need a new keyboard, thanks.

There is no possible way to mock that movie more than its own trailer does. It's as if a Rush song had a baby with a Yes song, and it was raised by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. College sophomores of the world, UNITE!
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      TCM just had Yojimbo on. It's a very, very, very strange movie.
                      LOVE Yojimbo!

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                        LOVE Yojimbo!
                        Yes.

I still have to watch about 1/3 of the 25-movie box collection of Akira that I bought last spring, and I haven't been disappointed in any of the movies I've seen (pricing the movies I wanted individually, it made sense just to buy the box set at the time; it was about a $30 difference in price).

NBK on right now. Encore Drama, I think the channel is (ENCD). I am pleased.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm watching and recording Silence of the Lambs. Love this movie, and the gf hasn't seen it, so I'm going to DVR it and make her watch it.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm watching and recording Silence of the Lambs. Love this movie, and the gf hasn't seen it, so I'm going to DVR it and make her watch it.
                            Good job on you. Great movie.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Yes.

I still have to watch about 1/3 of the 25-movie box collection of Akira that I bought last spring, and I haven't been disappointed in any of the movies I've seen (pricing the movies I wanted individually, it made sense just to buy the box set at the time; it was about a $30 difference in price). NBK on right now. Encore Drama, I think the channel is (ENCD). I am pleased.
                              I need to bone up on my Kurasawa. I'm actually pretty hit or miss on his movies. This might be a sin, but I'm really not a huge fan of the 7 Samurai, but most of his others I have enjoyed. Of the ones I have seen, my other favorite besides Yojimbo would be Dersu Uzala.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                                I need to bone up on my Kurasawa. I'm actually pretty hit or miss on his movies. This might be a sin, but I'm really not a huge fan of the 7 Samurai, but most of his others I have enjoyed. Of the ones I have seen, my other favorite besides Yojimbo would be Dersu Uzala.
                                I haven't seen that one yet. I liked Stray Dog quite a bit, and Rashomon is a favorite of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X