Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    They got really fancy with the camera for a lot of the action shots, but it was distracting.
    If fancy means shaky shots, and cutting angles/scenes every 3 seconds, I'll pass. For a movie like "Crank" etc, it works. Not this.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

I don't think bigmrg got your Michael J. Fox reference...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        I don't think bigmrg got your Michael J. Fox reference...
        Probably not.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I just watched Stanley Kubrick's Lolita. You can really tell the era in which it was made on a couple accounts. I expected it to be a bit grittier, based upon Kubrick's earlier works that I've seen (Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange, and the Shining). Then I thought about it being his second movie and it made more sense. Also, the six-month pregnant Lolita takes a sip from a cup of coffee she had intended to drink in total, and accepts and begins drinking a beer only a couple minutes later.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I just watched Stanley Kubrick's Lolita. You can really tell the era in which it was made on a couple accounts. I expected it to be a bit grittier, based upon Kubrick's earlier works that I've seen (Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange, and the Shining). Then I thought about it being his second movie and it made more sense. Also, the six-month pregnant Lolita takes a sip from a cup of coffee she had intended to drink in total, and accepts and begins drinking a beer only a couple minutes later.
            One always has to think about the era in which a movie was made. For me, the original "Night Of The Living Dead" was indeed shocking, given when it was made. That was an outstanding movie, and horrific, if you take the era into account.

Comment

I recorded the Sergio Leone/Eastwood man with no name trilogy today. I have watched Clint since I can remember (not only is my dad a huge fan but he's a spittin Doppleganger) but we all have classics that we've watched and classics that we've "watched" and there's a distict difference. I am only part-way through "For a Few Dollars More" but I've gained another level of appreciation for the films than I had before if that seems even possible given when they were made. Truly remarkable and they have far more depth than a cheap glance may provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I recorded the Sergio Leone/Eastwood man with no name trilogy today. I have watched Clint since I can remember (not only is my dad a huge fan but he's a spittin Doppleganger) but we all have classics that we've watched and classics that we've "watched" and there's a distict difference. I am only part-way through "For a Few Dollars More" but I've gained another level of appreciation for the films than I had before if that seems even possible given when they were made. Truly remarkable and they have far more depth than a cheap glance may provide.
                Ditto, but until I got older, I couldn't appreciate what Eastwood's movies really were, and how good they were. As a little Billy/Johnny, they were just cowboy movies to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Ditto, but until I got older, I couldn't appreciate what Eastwood's movies really were, and how good they were. As a little Billy/Johnny, they were just cowboy movies to me.
                  Exactly the point I was trying to get at. Great movies and always engaging, but there was more depth than I recognized until fairly recently.

Comment

Exactly the point I was trying to get at. Great movies and always engaging, but there was more depth than I recognized until fairly recently.
                    Too bad he had to rip off Akira Kirosawa for "A Fistful Of Dollars."

Comment

For me, the original "Night Of The Living Dead" was indeed shocking, given when it was made. That was an outstanding movie, and horrific, if you take the era into account.
                      That movie completely blew people away. Very few movies have had that sort of effect, where they change minds about what a film can do.

I don't think there's any way to capture just how genuinely horrifying it was for audiences in that period. It may not actually be possible to horrify people anymore -- just shock them (if that's even possible).
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Agree completely. If you haven't had a chance, also watch "Once Upon a Time in the West." Extremely complicated and interesting movie.

Fun fact: Sergio Leone turned down "The Godfather." That would have been something.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Too bad he had to rip off Akira Kirosawa for "A Fistful Of Dollars."
                          TCM just had Yojimbo on. It's a very, very, very strange movie.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I just watched Stanley Kubrick's Lolita. You can really tell the era in which it was made on a couple accounts.
                            That movie pisses me off. There are movies where you get annoyed because great material is mangled by an inappropriate director, but that was a case where Kubrick was a fantastic choice, but he got everything wrong. Compare Visconti's Death in Venice, which has a similar psychological "inner story" and was executed perfectly (warning: do not watch this movie if you like action. It makes My Dinner with Andre look like a Tarantino flick.)

I'd like to have seen Mike Nichols take a crack at Lolita.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              That movie pisses me off. There are movies where you get annoyed because great material is mangled by an inappropriate director, but that was a case where Kubrick was a fantastic choice, but he got everything wrong. Compare Visconti's Death in Venice, which has a similar psychological "inner story" and was executed perfectly (warning: do not watch this movie if you like action. It makes My Dinner with Andre look like a Tarantino flick.)

I'd like to have seen Mike Nichols take a crack at Lolita.
                              What I got from the movie is that Kubrick either hates people or sexual thoughts. I don't think he mangled it entirely, but he doesn't seem to like the characters and that comes through in almost every single action on screen, which made it tough for me to watch at times. It was sold as a dark comedy, and that hurts it to some degree too, just in the way that even dark comedy has changed over the past 50-60 years.

I did like what felt like a little bit of an homage to Citizen Kane with beginning at the end and coming around full circle. I know other movies do that, but this one just had that same sort of feel as Kane.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

What I got from the movie is that Kubrick either hates people or sexual thoughts. I don't think he mangled it entirely, but he doesn't seem to like the characters and that comes through in almost every single action on screen, which made it tough for me to watch at times.
                                Well, to be fair nobody in the book comes off very well, either.

It's ironic because Nabokov himself loved people and life and freedom. The story is about the negation of all those things: corruption and self-delusion and possession -- I always liked the idea of "the description of an abduction from the point of view of the abductor"). HH is so squirrely and evasive that it's basically impossible to portray him in all his undependable narrator glory -- the actor would have to undercut himself constantly. And there's no way to be her -- the ideal movie probably would never even show her. So all that's left is the easy things to portray: the creepiness and the obsession.

I wonder if you could do it with the genders reversed? That might detoxify it enough.

Anyway, it's still on the table for a great director to make a worthy film someday (along with most of Shakespeare).
                                Last edited by Kepler; 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X