Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
    Everyone in the theater I was in seemed to say 'that was it?' at the same time as the end credits started. I just figured they stopping it short to make another movie or two. Not that this excuses the poor ending, but just a thought.
    No it is obvious they were going for that...but you had no idea it was coming it just stops. Usually when it is going to be sequel-fied they tease the continuation, set it up in some way so even though this is over you know it isnt "over". This ending was like they were trying to end it like Bourne Identity ended except it was not nearly as satisfying. (partially because almost nothing was resolved unlike Identity which could have stood as a singular movie) None of the storylines get fixed or finished (in fact they seem to add more just for the sake of linking it to Ultimatum more) and minus one small factor the status quo has not changed.

Halfway through I thought the movie was awesome, even though it was slow the story built well and the tension was rising. Everything made sense and the linking with the previous movies was helping. By the end it was weighed down in partial story after partial story, nothing gets resolved, the links become an anchor and the action is lacking. It felt rushed and disjointed...kinda like Oceans 12 was.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

American Reunion

I'll be dammed. This one is probably the second best they did (refuse to acknowledge the direct-to-video movies). Eugene Levy's scenes are friggin' classic, I do have to say. I think they really captured the spirit of the first one, I really do.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Down to Earth. 1947 musical with Rita Hayworth about the muse of dance (Terpsichore) in a Broadway show.

OK, here's the thing, the plot and the writing are hackneyed and the lead man (Larry Parks) is a non-entity, but good lord there is probably no better movie to see just how beautiful and talented Hayworth was. There are so many scenes in which she is brain-meltingly lovely, despite the horrendous hairdos and general vapidness of Hollywood in the late 40's.

Her chorus of muses aint bad, either.

This was (for me at least) a very obscure musical, so if you like them and you've never heard of it, treat yourself.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Man on a Ledge: Its true, there was a man on a ledge, during most of the movie. It was a better movie than I expected it to be, there were some twists and turns, some that I saw coming some that I didn't. It started off a little slow, but quickly got interesting. I'd recommend it for someone that is interested in this type of movie, a heist movie with some twists but nothing mind-blowing.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Man on a Ledge: Its true, there was a man on a ledge, during most of the movie. It was a better movie than I expected it to be, there were some twists and turns, some that I saw coming some that I didn't. It started off a little slow, but quickly got interesting. I'd recommend it for someone that is interested in this type of movie, a heist movie with some twists but nothing mind-blowing.
            Could this have been a sequal/prequal (don't know the year) to Phone Booth? he finally got out of the booth and went up to a ledge? Just a thought...

Comment

Finally saw The Great Escape. It is Good.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                Finally saw The Great Escape. It is Good.
                Although not in years, I have seen that a few times. It always seemed to be playing on T-Day and my grandparents always had it on post-dinner (on tv, not tape, etc). Great movie. I should dial that one up again.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I just watched Chasing Ghosts which is about many of the same people in King of Kong only it covers the story of all the original record holders and where they are now. Yeah...wow.

BTW Bill Mitchell is a ****** in this one too
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I just watched Chasing Ghosts which is about many of the same people in King of Kong only it covers the story of all the original record holders and where they are now. Yeah...wow.

BTW Bill Mitchell is a ****** in this one too
                    Added. Thank you.

Comment

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Tugs at the heart strings a bit, obviously. It could have been more though. I just can't shake that feeling.

Max Von Sydow still rules.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Moneyball - For some reason I was convinced I wouldn't like this movie but I thought it was fantastic and very worthy of the high praise.

In A Better World - A Danish film that won best Foreign Language Film in 2011 from the Academy and Golden Globe. About two middle-school kids dealing with issues at home (one mother just died of cancer, the other parents going through a separation). One kid a potential trouble-maker, the other a shy nerd. It could nearly be called a foreign language version of American Beauty but not nearly as cynical nor devoid of sympathetic characters.

Osama - Filmed in the Pashtu language and winner of the 2004 Golden Globe for Best Foreign language film. Apparently it is the first movie to be made in a post-Taliban Afghanistan and inspired by a newspaper account about the efforts of a family of women whose men have all been lost to war and are having trouble earning money, so they dress up their 12-year-old girl as a boy so she can work. Heartbreaking with an intelligent ending.

Comment

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance

I liked the first one alot (for what it was) and was looking forward to this one. About all I can say is that minus a couple funny lines, it was similar to Michael J Fox filming an Oliver Stone acid-trip. Don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance

I liked the first one alot (for what it was) and was looking forward to this one. About all I can say is that minus a couple funny lines, it was similar to Michael J Fox filming an Oliver Stone acid-trip. Don't bother.
                            Yeah, it was shot pretty, but ick, the whole movie just didn't have any flow or continuation going on with it at all other than Nick Cage rides a bike and has a flaming skull sometimes. Had some potential, but dang, they should have scrapped it and came out with another scripted to shoot for it.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              Yeah, it was shot pretty, but ick, the whole movie just didn't have any flow or continuation going on with it at all other than Nick Cage rides a bike and has a flaming skull sometimes. Had some potential, but dang, they should have scrapped it and came out with another scripted to shoot for it.
                              Shot pretty? It was shot horrible. And I thought The Blair Witch Project was filmed in a jumpy fashion. And I LIKED that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Shot pretty? It was shot horrible. And I thought The Blair Witch Project was filmed in a jumpy fashion. And I LIKED that movie.
                                They got really fancy with the camera for a lot of the action shots, but it was distracting.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X