Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by duper View Post
    Umm... I don't know. It wasn't bad, but I certainly didn't like it nearly as well as I liked the book. I was actually sort of hoping that somehow the drawings from the book could be incorporated into the movie. Ben Kingsley was (of course) good as Georges Melies, and I actually kind of enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohen as the station inspector. I would go ahead and watch it, but don't expect to be blown away.
    Yeah, I was wondering how it would translate. Thanks!

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I'd have to imagine that Daniel Day Lewis will go utterly insane if he ever retires from acting. He won't know who he is.
      There was an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam is in an insane asylum and gets electro shock therapy which screws up his brain and he starts switching personalities into a bunch of the people he leaped into. I have a feeling DDL would do the same thing...on random days he would become Lincoln, then the next he would be crippled then finally he flips out and starts beating people with bowling pins
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

God Bless America: ****ing awesome movie. Watch right now
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          God Bless America: ****ing awesome movie. Watch right now
          Well, I added it to my queue (and in fact, it is available for streaming). In doing so, Netflix also suggested "Bad Ass" starring Danny Trejo, which is also streaming. WIN!
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Letters from Iwo Jima. Finally got around to this one and I found it to be very moving and poignant. A friend of mine that has lived in Japan the past 15 years said that it was so well done it's hard to believe it was not made by the Japanese themselves.

Comment

Finally saw the original 3:10 to Yuma. Very uneven. Glenn Ford is awesome (as he pretty much always is). Van Heflin is irritating (as he pretty much always is). The cinematography is jaw-dropping. The entire background story of the wife is cringe-worthy.

It actually feels like a contemporary movie: intense, brilliantly taut scenes alternating with trite, terribly-acted love interest/parental care scenes ( c.f. every action movie made since 1980 -- the archetype is Red Eye). You could make a "good parts" director's cut that would last about 28 minutes.

B-

Semi-spoiler: the ending is the stupidest and most insulting ending of any movie I've ever seen.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Semi-spoiler:
                Even worse than The Terminal? Two hours of my life invested, to have it end like... that...
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Even worse than The Terminal? Two hours of my life invested, to have it end like... that...
                  Never saw that. But this was bad enough that I suspected parody.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Letters from Iwo Jima. Finally got around to this one and I found it to be very moving and poignant. A friend of mine that has lived in Japan the past 15 years said that it was so well done it's hard to believe it was not made by the Japanese themselves.
                    If you haven't, see the sister piece "Flags Of Our Fathers." Same "movie," but told from the other side.

Saw a couple today (bbdl would be proud of the first, as he recommended it earlier in the thread):

God Bless America
                    Awesome. To me, it was like a modern-day Natural Born Killers crossed with Idiocracy. Basic plot is two people go around and kill people who really "deserve" to die, like Westboro Baptist Church/etc. Hilarious and very entertaining.

Bad Ass
                    Take every joke you guys have made about my fandom of Danny Trejo, add every reason I like Danny Trejo, and add a few splashes of "Machete." This makes "Taken" look like a Disney movie. Sorry, Liam.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      If you haven't, see the sister piece "Flags Of Our Fathers." Same "movie," but told from the other side.
                      It will arrive after Letters is returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        It will arrive after Letters is returned.
                        You will not be disappointed. I didn't know which order to watch them in, and watched Iwo Jima first. It was the correct choice, IMO. I got lucky.

Comment

When in Chicago, I always watch some really crappy movies with my brother. This year I was only in town for a few days, so only one movie. We went Quest for Fire. Ron Perlman was his usual brilliant self. Rae Dawn Chong was Rae Dawn Chong. (Of course, she was also naked and painted grey.) It was godawful. I was entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            God Bless America
                            Awesome. To me, it was like a modern-day Natural Born Killers crossed with Idiocracy. Basic plot is two people go around and kill people who really "deserve" to die, like Westboro Baptist Church/etc. Hilarious and very entertaining.
                            That was a good find when I just happened to come across it browsing Netflix.
                            I don't know how that movie doesn't win awards.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              That was a good find when I just happened to come across it browsing Netflix.
                              I don't know how that movie doesn't win awards.
                              I remember hearing a Bobcat Goldthwait interview on the KQ Morning Show a while back about this movie, but I never gave it a second thought. I have to admit, Bobcat actually did something funny.

Comment

In Bruges.

Okay.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X