Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

While nothing that got robbed of an Oscar, he's put together a decent resume of film. The Star Wars prequels seem to be most every actors worst outings, as Natalie Portman was also described the same way.

In what little I've seen him involved with after Star Wars, he's a good actor. I think his breakthrough performance in Trainspotting set the bar a little lofty.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

I was being somewhat facetious to be truthful. I have seen him before (including Trainspotting) but just never recalled such revulsion to his work.

Comment

Hell On Wheels and Brutal Beauty: Story of the Rose City Rollers

A couple documentaries on women's roller derby. Hell On Wheels follows the start up of the Bad Girl, Good Woman roller derby league in Austin, the first league in the country in years. Very interesting on how events develop in the movie and the complications involved. I really liked it.

Brutal Beauty is a more Hollywood (for lack of a better word; Rockstar Energy Drinks helped fund the movie) documentary, following one team. This one was made a couple years after the other one (and the team makes mention of the Texas league; apparently the Texas league helped others when they had questions). It was okay, it just wasn't as interesting. I will say I don't think you'd appreciate this one at all unless you saw Hell On Wheels.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Two hours of utter ridiculousness, cheesy dialogue, lots of explosions and pretty, pretty men.
          You just described "The Avengers." It did have a sense of humor about itself, though, which made it better than expected. Solid B from a non-comic-fanboy.

I did have to endure my wife telling me how much she hates Gwyneth Paltrow. I think she's a wonderful Pepper Potts.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I swear, if you ever, and I mean EVER, turn off Full Metal Jacket during the first half of it, you hate America, movies, and your mother.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Saw Avengers in IMax last Sunday night.

Liked it a lot.

The Dark Knight Rises should only be seen in IMax. That movie looks incredible. Can't wait!
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

The Dark Knight Rises should only be seen in IMax. That movie looks incredible. Can't wait!
                It is selling out showings all over the place already...people are crazy
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Sounds like I'll do what I did for Dark Knight: take Monday off and catch the matinee. Surprisingly dead showing for Dark Knight. I can only hope for the same this time around....

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F2O4w1ngPJw/TKZhH-jkUKI/AAAAAAAAATc/QIePk1zOPp0/s1600/pet-rocks.jpg******
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F2O4w1ngPJw/TKZhH-jkUKI/AAAAAAAAATc/QIePk1zOPp0/s1600/pet-rocks.jpg******
                      *****https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9NBcJ4NscLFZeBsqfjBqhTz8wic8L6 4FGRuzcN3AkEeDXiz_I******

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        *****https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9NBcJ4NscLFZeBsqfjBqhTz8wic8L6 4FGRuzcN3AkEeDXiz_I******
                        Not as crazy as people who pay money to drink Budweiser.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Not as crazy as people who pay money to drink Budweiser.
                          If you drink any Miller product the irony could be cut with a knife

I watched Man of the Year, the Barry Levinson flick about a comedian on a political comedy show (Robin Williams) who runs for President. I liked it
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This movie probably won't even compare to the first one. Nonetheless, I will be spending my money watching it Opening Night/Opening Day because the first one is one of my all-time favorites.

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              This movie probably won't even compare to the first one.
                              There have been so many sequel bombs that maybe... MAYBE... Hollywood has learned you have to work twice as hard to repeat.

Or they haven't, because those bombs still made money.

We'll see. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda trust Ferrell to avoid the obvious pitfall.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                There have been so many sequel bombs that maybe... MAYBE... Hollywood has learned you have to work twice as hard to repeat.

Or they haven't, because those bombs still made money.

We'll see. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda trust Ferrell to avoid the obvious pitfall.
                                Yeah, but he could also be just going for the all out cash grab as well.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X