Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    If you liked the Lord of the Rings movies, you'll probably like the Hobbit movies whether or not you like the book. Jackson is making them in the same tenor as the trilogy and they will feel seamless to the story.

I am going to see the Hobbit, I dont need to be convinced of that but I still feel the Hobbit is a pretty lame book. Now to be fair I read it years after I read the LOTR (which I read when I was 13) but it felt like a childrens book whereas LOTR is literature. The difference in writing is night and day in my mind.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I am going to see the Hobbit, I dont need to be convinced of that but I still feel the Hobbit is a pretty lame book. Now to be fair I read it years after I read the LOTR (which I read when I was 13) but it felt like a childrens book whereas LOTR is literature. The difference in writing is night and day in my mind.
      Handy,

I thought I explained it below. The Hobbit is a children's book. That's who it was written for. Tolkien had no idea when Bilbo found that ring it was The One Ring of Power. He also had no idea he would write The Lord of the Rings.

He wrote The Hobbit as a children's book. You need to read it as such. My guess is that Jackson will take advantage of everything that was written after The Hobbit to make the transition more seamless.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Dude, I know what the Hobbit was, I knew what it was when I read it. What the hell is your point? Ya know why I didnt read it as a child? When we were assigned to in 6th grade I made it about 1/3 of the way through and stopped because of how much I disliked it. It was by sheer chance I gave LOTR a chance months later. By then I was reading books that had way more substance and weight to them it just paled in comparison.

I know my opinion is the minority on it but even grading on a curve I find the book trite and rather worthless. Seeing as the movie is being split in two and is being made by Jackson I am guessing it wont be
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Dude, I know what the Hobbit was, I knew what it was when I read it. What the hell is your point? Ya know why I didnt read it as a child? When we were assigned to in 6th grade I made it about 1/3 of the way through and stopped because of how much I disliked it. It was by sheer chance I gave LOTR a chance months later. By then I was reading books that had way more substance and weight to them it just paled in comparison.

I know my opinion is the minority on it but even grading on a curve I find the book trite and rather worthless. Seeing as the movie is being split in two and is being made by Jackson I am guessing it wont be
          Uh, my point was you said it felt like a children's book. My point was, it is supposed to feel like a children's book.

I guess you don't like children's books. I have fond memories of many children's books myself.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Dude, I know what the Hobbit was, I knew what it was when I read it. What the hell is your point?

Are you one of those people that other adults have to tell small children, "He's not angry, that's just his normal voice?"

I only posted the trailer coz I thought maybe someone might get a kick out of seeing it.

Like the Hobbit or don't like the Hobbit. You get to have your opinion and I can see your point of view. To each their own.

Scooby's right though, it was always intended to be a children's book written for 8-10 year olds. As such, it's really quite good and imaginative considering the time that it was written.

Luckily, Tolkien expounded upon it quite a bit in the LOTR.

My personal favorite though is the Silmarillion which is hard to deal with (for many) on the other end of the spectrum. It's almost too heady and written in older style English.

Taken as a whole - Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Hobbit, LOTR - what that guy came up with when there was really nothing else like it, was/is astounding.

Comment

The irony is when Tolkein's publisher commissioned LOTR they thought they were getting a sequel.

I suspect that meeting was a little difficult. "Well, sir. Um. The good news is the book's finished..."
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Are you one of those people that other adults have to tell small children, "He's not angry, that's just his normal voice?"

I only posted the trailer coz I thought maybe someone might get a kick out of seeing it.

Like the Hobbit or don't like the Hobbit. You get to have your opinion and I can see your point of view. To each their own.

Scooby's right though, it was always intended to be a children's book written for 8-10 year olds. As such, it's really quite good and imaginative considering the time that it was written.

Luckily, Tolkien expounded upon it quite a bit in the LOTR.

My personal favorite though is the Silmarillion which is hard to deal with (for many) on the other end of the spectrum. It's almost too heady and written in older style English.

Taken as a whole - Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Hobbit, LOTR - what that guy came up with when there was really nothing else like it, was/is astounding.
                I was responding to Scooby not you. I said I was seeing the Hobbit in response to you posting the trailer I just said I dont like the book that much. I dont mind if others do, like I said my opinion is in the minority but just because it is a childrens story doesnt change my opinion of it like Scooby seems to think it should.

I tried reading the Silmarillion a few years back and couldnt do it. I like Tolkien but not that much.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I tried reading the Silmarillion a few years back and couldnt do it. I like Tolkien but not that much.
                  Same here. If I am going to put in that amount of work, it's going to be for something from OTL.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I was responding to Scooby not you. I said I was seeing the Hobbit in response to you posting the trailer I just said I dont like the book that much. I dont mind if others do, like I said my opinion is in the minority but just because it is a childrens story doesnt change my opinion of it like Scooby seems to think it should.

You said you didn't like it because its a children's story. That's like me saying I don't like peas because they're a vegetable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Same here. If I am going to put in that amount of work, it's going to be for something from OTL.

It can be tough. Took me 3 tries but now I've read it several times. Gotta get through the first several chapters where he's doing all the creation of the world stuff. After that the dead elf carnage begins and it's quite interesting and tragic.

I fully understand how people don't find it very accessible though.

There's a book called The Reader's Guide to the Silmarillion that is helpful. Kind of a Cliff's Notes.

Okay. No more LOTR talk from me. Back to movies...

Gonna watch The Way with Martin Sheen tonight.

Comment

Gonna watch The Way with Martin Sheen tonight.
                        Caught The Way this weekend as well. Given that I watched it immediately following Grave of the Fireflies and Lilja 4-Ever on Saturday, I though it was just about the most uplifting movie of the last 20 years. In reality probably not so much, still enjoyable though.

Comment

Saw "The Searchers" on recommendation from a couple posters, and I can say I was not disappointed. I wasn't completely blown away, but it's a *ing solid movie. Some of the themes/dialogue/situations were quite graphic for its time (at least, that's what it seemed to me), which added to the story. I honestly wouldn't have minded it being about 30-45 minutes longer to fill in some of the time gaps in the story.

Definitely a slower movie like "Appaloosa" or "High Plains Drifter" compared to a "True Grit" or "Tombstone."
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

******* width="512" height="288">****** name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/wByjzhJ9aPVU6LDx8trsqA/250/278">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/wByjzhJ9aPVU6LDx8trsqA/250/278" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true">.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

That episode was awesome and made me forget last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                I bought Dark Knight because it's that good.
                                My sister, who HATES action movies took the drastic step of renting it, because her office building appears in it, and she wanted to see if she could pick out her window.

Comment

Working...
                                X