Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Just watched The Third Man on TCM.

Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles, Trevor Howard, and Alida Valli in a Graham Greene screenplay.

Set in post-WWII Vienna. Filmed on location in 1949.

Very Good!
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

ABC aired The Blind Side last night. Mrs. P and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Easy to see why Sandra Bullock won an Oscar.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Went to Hunger Games with the family yesterday. Decidedly meh. Even my kid (14) who is a big fan of the books found it meh.

Comment

Man I can't wait for this:

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

So is this in the Alien cycle?

Comment

Im crazy excited for it too.

I know they are saying its not a direct sequel to Alien but man...the similarities that would make it a direct sequel are there. Heck I'm pretty sure this trailer uses some of the same music/noise from the first Alien trailer.

From what I did read though it sounds like it may be intended as an indirect sequel to Alien if you will....as in the xenomorph in this movie is a precursor to the ones that appear in Alien. I already get this feeling that Charlize Theron's character is an android. It would not suprise me at all. Either way, this movie looks AWESOME. This will definetly be an opening weekend viewing for me.
              Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                So is this in the Alien cycle?
                It is and it isnt. It is a prequel to Alien taking place (I believe) on the planet where the Nostromo landed (LV-426) only many years before. You can see the Space Jockey (the thing the Nostromo Crew find before they find the eggs) in the trailer. Beyond that they have been pretty tight lipped about the details. While being part of the Alien story it is a standalone movie from the sounds of it. The ties to Alien are as much about easter eggs for long time fans like myself as anything else. That is why it even uses the Alien font and reveal when they show the name of the movie.

Truth be told though, Ridley Scott has been abot as vague as possible since he first started working on the script. I know Sigourney Weaver read it and loved it and the fans have been clamoring for it for so long that it is a ridiculously big deal. Since it seems to take place many years before Alien though I am guessing minus a cameo from a true xenomorph at the end and the death of everyone there wont be much tie in overall, although it would be cool if a scene that said something like "100 years later" happened with a shot of Nostromo picking up the distress signal finished it out.
                Last edited by Handyman; 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

"It's just like that song, 'I get knocked down but I get up again'...except in North Dakota...which is the worst place on Earth."

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This trailer has a clearer Bane voice AND a break-dancing prisoner? Count me in.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

On one site someone watched it frame for frame and said the breakdancer is Catwoman...I dont have the patience to verify such things

I wonder if Bruce is going to die...
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So 21 Jump Street is absolutely hilarious. Just so many one off jokes that I definitely need to watch it again and laugh my asterisk off one more time.
                          Old Monster Records

Comment

Break the bat! Do it!
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

On one site someone watched it frame for frame and said the breakdancer is Catwoman...I dont have the patience to verify such things

I wonder if Bruce is going to die...
                              Why else create a character for JGL?

Comment

Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) as KHHHHHHAAAAAN?? Make it so.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...in-star-trek-2
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X