Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Just a month till The Avengers comes out.... Haven't been looking forward to a movie this much since the Simpson's movie came out.... I'm not expecting an Oscar, but I think that the movies leading up to this have been entertaining popcorn flicks... Can't wait...
    Some how I had overlooked The Avengers until recently when I saw some ads on TV. I would include it in my short list of movies I actually might go see in theaters this year along with Prometheus and Dark Knight Rises.

Comment

Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      One thing about the movies that you liked (all of which I really love) is they have very strong, driving dramatic plots. TPS just meanders along, quietly. So you may simply not like that basically Nothing Happens. Have you ever seen "Smiles of a Summer Night"? That's probably my favorite romantic comedy, and it's aimless and atmospheric very much like TPS.
      I think that's largely it. I don't get a sense for much happening. And it keeps jumping back and forth in mood; at times it's a wacky comedy and at times it's more dramatic, and while in many movies each mood complements and strengthens the others, here it feels like it's jerked from one to the other and they're spliced together. And I know this will make me some like an unkempt youngster who wants explosions everywhere, but there's too many scenes where they talk about nothing to me; I'm not saying that a movie needs to be action Action ACTION, but it should feel like conversation the characters are having has a point, rather than just being put in there to fill five minutes or so here or there.

Maybe I need to watch it again having an idea what to expect to see if it flows better. Plus I was tired the first time I saw it, and that usually doesn't help.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        And I know this will make me some like an unkempt youngster who wants explosions everywhere, but there's too many scenes where they talk about nothing to me; I'm not saying that a movie needs to be action Action ACTION, but it should feel like conversation the characters are having has a point, rather than just being put in there to fill five minutes or so here or there.
        I understand that feeling that sometimes dialog seems to be there just to show us how sensitive or ironic the filmmaker thinks he is. I wish I could cut the dialog track from every Werner Herzog movie (watching them in a language you don't know makes his movies 100x better). But for whatever reason I don't get that antsy "gay cowboys eating pudding" feeling from TPS.

I *do* get it from African Queen, funnily enough. There's a classic that does nothing for me after the first reel.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          My girlfriend and I have been using Netflix to watch a lot of the old classics to see how they are. We've liked pretty much all of them we've seen so far: It Happened One Night, Casablanca, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard. But The Philadelphia Story suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Can someone explain why it's so highly regarded?

My personal favorites of that list were It Happened One Night and Mr. Smith.
          Not sure how a few others feel about it, but if you liked Mr. Smith, you may like Anatomy of a Murder. The movie is a little long, but it's the most real court room drama ever. Makes A Few Good Men seem simple. A lot of scenic shots and good dialog too in Anatomy. Jimmy Stewart plays a down on his luck backwoods lawyer who has to defend an army soldier from a murder rap.

First film to discuss rape as a central plot point (and was almost banned from being shown in Chicago forthe debut).

It's one of the only "classics" I own. (I hang my head in shame)
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            First film to discuss rape as a central plot point
            Oh how they forget! There were many pre-code movies that either alluded to or explicitly used rape as a plot element.

"That doesn't speak very well for me, madam." Tod Slaughter is one of the greatest forgotten Ham Actors of all time. He was Vincent Price and Snidely Whiplash rolled into one.

BTW, I highly recommend any of Slaughter's great performances for anyone who wants to see what 19th century Grand Guignol was like on stage. I defy anybody to not hiss his villains.
            Last edited by Kepler; 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Finally saw "They Might Be Giants." Loved it. Great footage of NYC in the 70's when it was really, really sleazy. There are also about 80 cameos of Depression Era borscht belt comics. Sort of a weird mixture of "Man of La Mancha" and "Who's Minding the Mint?"
              Last edited by Kepler; 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM.
              Cornell University

Comment

Watched "Mesrine" (Killer Instinct) tonight. French movie recommended by duper. Quality, minus the massive time jumps in the storyline. Cassel is excellent. I'm really curious as to how part 2 is going to go (yeah, I could wiki it, but f that). Probably gonna watch part 2 tomorrow. The third quarter of the movie (when he's in solitary) was Aronofsky-like, kinda threw me for a loop at first. Other than that, it's basically a well-done mafia action movie.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I know this is supposed to be a pseudo-serious thread... but during a quiet night in with the lady friend, decided to watch ******* 3D after a few strong beers. Despite the third grade object-to-the-balls/dogcrap routine, its still hilarious. Also was the first time the Ryan Dunn DUI accident really started to hit home for me.

For those of us perpetually stuck with the mind of a 9 year old, it's on Netflix streaming. Cheers.

EDIT: Realized the powers that be wouldn't want me saying the name of the movie J-A-C-K A-S-S
                  Originally posted by solovsfett
                  To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Originally posted by FueledByRamen View Post
                    I know this is supposed to be a pseudo-serious thread... but during a quiet night in with the lady friend, decided to watch ******* 3D after a few strong beers. Despite the third grade object-to-the-balls/dogcrap routine, its still hilarious. Also was the first time the Ryan Dunn DUI accident really started to hit home for me.

For those of us perpetually stuck with the mind of a 9 year old, it's on Netflix streaming. Cheers.

EDIT: Realized the powers that be wouldn't want me saying the name of the movie J-A-C-K A-S-S
                    Nothing wrong with watching Jackass. It's a funny series of movies.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Striptease Samurai Squad.

Topless asian women sword fighting. 'Nuf said.

Actually its a cheesy movie, but the title forced me to at least check out 20 minutes of it.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        Striptease Samurai Squad.

Topless asian women sword fighting. 'Nuf said.

Actually its a cheesy movie, but the title forced me to at least check out 20 minutes of it.
                        I bet mookie has a copy of this movie.

Comment

Saw Wrath of the Titans last night. The plot, when I stop to think of it was interesting, but the movie was basically a dopey action movie. It wasn't bad, it was entertaining, but it could have been a LOT better with less emphasis on noise and special effects. (Good God, am I just an old man?)

Also, previews for MIB3 and Dark Shadows from Tim Burton. Also a preview for Battleship. From Hasbro. Yeah, they turned the game into an action movie. sigh

MIB3 looks good if you like Will Smith. Dark Shadows looks like a pretty typical Burton movie (it probably goes without saying that Johnny Depp plays Barnabas Collins.) Battleship obviously looks dreadful.

Comment

wow, it has been way too long since i watched Good Morning, Vietnam!
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Watched "Mesrine" (Killer Instinct) tonight. French movie recommended by duper. Quality, minus the massive time jumps in the storyline. Cassel is excellent. I'm really curious as to how part 2 is going to go (yeah, I could wiki it, but f that). Probably gonna watch part 2 tomorrow. The third quarter of the movie (when he's in solitary) was Aronofsky-like, kinda threw me for a loop at first. Other than that, it's basically a well-done mafia action movie.
                              Watched Part 2 today (Public Enemy No. 1). Meh. It was okay, but I liked the first part way more.

Red State: average at best. The end message is about as subtle as a hit to the groin with a sledgehammer.

Sling Blade: besides knowing what the ending will be as soon as the Doyle character is talked about, decent movie. Worth watching once, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Watched Part 2 today (Public Enemy No. 1). Meh. It was okay, but I liked the first part way more.

Red State: average at best. The end message is about as subtle as a hit to the groin with a sledgehammer.

Sling Blade: besides knowing what the ending will be as soon as the Doyle character is talked about, decent movie. Worth watching once, at least.
                                1st part was my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                                X