Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Just got done with Martha Marcy May Marlene. Pretty good movie. It really shows the scary inner workings of a cult and how they hook people. Another plus is Elizabeth Olsen regularly gets naked and she's much, much better looking than her sisters. She's pretty good at acting also.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Mrs. EoDS just read and loved The Hunger Games, so we wound up seeing that this weekend.

I was kind of dreading a repeat of the Twilight phenomena, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie. There are a lot of details that I thought would be worth expanding upon* that Mrs. EoDS told me are actually part of the book. So, although there were parts of the movie that felt thin to me, I did still walk away feeling like there was a pretty big story in there. To put it another way, my experience of watching it was more like watching the Harry Potter movies (where you get the feeling that there's more going on than what the producers were willing to pay to have in the movie) than watching the Twilight movies (which are just incredibly stupid).

Also, there are a lot of little good cinematic moments in there that helped flesh the whole thing out. The Game Maker's implied execution probably tops the list of those moments.

* By my count, they are: Day-to-day life in District 12; Katniss' role in said day-to-day life; Why people make such a big deal about things like loaves of bread (presumably, this has to do with the "Hunger" portion of the title); the Peeta/Katniss backstory; the garish/vain aspects of the Capitol and why that feeds into the reality-TV-on-steroids/Running Man/Battle Royale element of the event and the culture
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
        Hockey Flick! --> Goon

Looks like this one is being released to theaters on March 30, but available “On Demand” now. Checked my Time Warner “On Demand” menu, and sure enough... Goon is listed (in HD) at $9.99 for 48hrs.

Has anyone watch Goon yet? Looks interesting... I may just have to check it out this weekend, but I have a strong feeling I am going to have suppress any pre-conceived negative opinions that may exist resulting from obvious comparisons to Slapshot.
        Watched it last night after taping it from a free preview on one of the movie channels. Worth the effort to see. I laughed out loud which is something I don't usually do while watching movies. Told my son to watch it and he & his friends were laughing just as hard as I did. Don't worry about the comparison to Slapshot, any hockey fan with a sense of humor (especially if it's dark) should see this flick.
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

My girlfriend and I have been using Netflix to watch a lot of the old classics to see how they are. We've liked pretty much all of them we've seen so far: It Happened One Night, Casablanca, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard. But The Philadelphia Story suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Can someone explain why it's so highly regarded?

My personal favorites of that list were It Happened One Night and Mr. Smith.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            My girlfriend and I have been using Netflix to watch a lot of the old classics to see how they are. We've liked pretty much all of them we've seen so far: It Happened One Night, Casablanca, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard. But The Philadelphia Story suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Can someone explain why it's so highly regarded?

I've seen all those as well. My favorite from that list would be Sunset Boulevard, but they're all very good. I loved The Philadelphia Story myself. You'd have to be more specific as to why you didn't like it. It's a classic romantic comedy. Much better than what they try to pass as one today.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I couldn't stand Mr. Smith when I saw it 20 years ago - couldn't tell you why now.

Comment

In HS I watched odds and ends of Bogart movies here and there, and uniformly loathed them. Finally watched Casablanca a few years ago, then The Maltese Falcon and The African Queen not long after. I didn't know what I was missing.

Oh and Brent, I checked out The Apartment the other day. I dug it.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                  In HS I watched odds and ends of Bogart movies here and there, and uniformly loathed them. Finally watched Casablanca a few years ago, then The Maltese Falcon and The African Queen not long after. I didn't know what I was missing.

Oh and Brent, I checked out The Apartment the other day. I dug it.
                  I still have to check out those movies you recommended. I might start on them on Friday night.

Saw "Moneyball" last night. It was a solid movie, but nothing spectacular. For anyone who knows baseball, the SABR-metrics specifics were pretty much non-existant. It was just "because the numbers say so" sort of thing, instead of a couple examples here and there.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That because most people just don't give a rip about finite stats, regardless of their importance. Which is why it took Blyleven forever to make the hall.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      That because most people just don't give a rip about finite stats, regardless of their importance. Which is why it took Blyleven forever to make the hall.
                      Well, it's part of the main plot of the movie; that's why it's called "Moneyball." One would think they would say "Joe should get the start over Jim because his OPS is higher" (and explain OPS, it's not that tedious of a stat).
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really like The Philadelphia Story! I find the main characters kind of grating and childish, and the whole situation just becomes annoying after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Well, it's part of the main plot of the movie; that's why it's called "Moneyball." One would think they would say "Joe should get the start over Jim because his OPS is higher" (and explain OPS, it's not that tedious of a stat).
                          Why would they explain it when the two characters in the movie already should know that definition. It would seem forced. For the people watching the movie, if you care what OPS is, you already know what it is, if you don't care, you're just there for the storytelling, and not in-depth baseball stats.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Well, I can explain why I love The Philadelphia Story. It's entirely about mood -- every time I see it I wind up happier than when I started watching it. I don't like Katherine Hepburn usually, but she's perfect in that movie. I think there is also something very true about love in the relationship between Hepburn and Grant. Something tired and exasperated but wistful. Most movies do not really come to grips with how love is the surrender of self, and that if you've loved long enough you've worn grooves into each other, whether you wanted to or not. Anyway, it strikes me as more true and substantial every time I see it.

One thing about the movies that you liked (all of which I really love) is they have very strong, driving dramatic plots. TPS just meanders along, quietly. So you may simply not like that basically Nothing Happens. Have you ever seen "Smiles of a Summer Night"? That's probably my favorite romantic comedy, and it's aimless and atmospheric very much like TPS.

My advice is, if you don't like it, don't watch it.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Just a month till The Avengers comes out.... Haven't been looking forward to a movie this much since the Simpson's movie came out.... I'm not expecting an Oscar, but I think that the movies leading up to this have been entertaining popcorn flicks... Can't wait...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Whenever anybody says "The Avengers" I'm always disappointed it's not this.

*****http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/A/htmlA/avengersthe/avengerstheIMAGE/avengersthe.jpg******
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X