Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I was considering seeing that...until the trailers made the CGI look like a glorified Michael Bay movie.
    You're not going to see a comic book movie because it makes liberal use of CGI now?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      You're not going to see a comic book movie because it makes liberal use of CGI now?
      Liberal use of CGI is not an attention grabber for me, really, if it can be done in the old school format.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

check-writer!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Liberal use of CGI is not an attention grabber for me, really, if it can be done in the old school format.
          I'm not saying that I go for the CGI, but you're simply not going to find a comic book movie that does its thing without the CGI these days.

Besides that, they did a number of scenes with either the actor or his stunt double up in wires and shooting scenes around the city, according to some of the behind-the-scenes things that had been floating around the last few days. While they clearly used some CGI to change the scenery, they didn't shoot the whole thing on a green screen.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Movies with obvious CGI that I liked: 300, Matrix movies, um, that's about it that I can recall. I mean, it's CGI, but it folded in well with those movies. Things like the latest Indiana Jones? Or Avatar? F that.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Good CGI isn't showy, unless it's done for stylistic reasons (see: 300, which was still kind of stupid).
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I have no issue ith CGI when it looks good. When it looks like a second rate video game I'm out. The previews looked like Spiderman should be chilling with the Transformers.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm sure this is so obvious as to be a cliche, but I think the best CGI in action movies is when it is just *slightly* over the physics line. When it reaches saturation point and everything is death-defying and absurd, it loses all its impact.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I have no issue ith CGI when it looks good. When it looks like a second rate video game I'm out. The previews looked like Spiderman should be chilling with the Transformers.
                    Hmm, I didn't get that from the movie, but whatever. I don't see how they could have used the Lizard without it, though the Lizard really wasn't on screen all that much. The thing that got me was the computer interfaces used at the lab, they felt sort of like something from Star Wars.

Comment

Reservoir Dogs...uh, OK?

Best scene in the movie: "Are you gonna keep barking, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?"

Comment

Hmm, I didn't get that from the movie, but whatever. I don't see how they could have used the Lizard without it, though the Lizard really wasn't on screen all that much. The thing that got me was the computer interfaces used at the lab, they felt sort of like something from Star Wars.
                        Pretty much any of the previews I saw looked completely computer generated...like Spiderman met the Matrix: Reloaded. I mean it is so obvious what is real and what isnt that it takes me out of the movie.

Plus I have seen the Spidey origin already and I didnt think it was that great the first time.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Avengers was dang good...I didnt spooge myself like a lot of the nerds did but I did enjoy it. I will fully admit though the only characters I really like on that team are Hulk and Captain America so that is part of it. As I said to my buddy, this movie is about as close to an actual comic as you will see...warts and all. (that is the difference between this and Nolans Batman which is very much NOT like a comic for the most part) I didnt love everything Whedon did (I am not a huge fan of his) but it is easily the best of the comic book movies. (as opposed to movies based on comic characters)

I thought the first "extra" scene was lame but I had that predicted about 20 minutes into the movie. The second one was hilarious though.
                          Pretty much any of the previews I saw looked completely computer generated...like Spiderman met the Matrix: Reloaded. I mean it is so obvious what is real and what isnt that it takes me out of the movie.

Plus I have seen the Spidey origin already and I didnt think it was that great the first time.
                          So you're saying that the Spider-man looked like a Transformer in one post, which is why you don't want to see it, but a giant Hulk on screen looks completely natural to you?

I honestly don't care if anyone likes the movie or not, but I find it interesting the reasons people toss out for not being liking something. You clearly have no interest in the Spider-man story, because you say that just don't like it. Fine, I get that, just like I'm not so much a fan of other characters. Perhaps your dislike of this rather well known story has tainted your perception of the CGI used in the film.

Comment

Yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job overall with the retelling of the Spiderman story. Thinking back on it, I do kind of think that the Tobey version of the Origin Story with the Death of Uncle Ben was a bit forced along there. In the new Spidey, it had a more natural flow about it, and while everybody knows its coming, it has a lot better pace to it overall than in the first 3 spiderman movies. Overall, I would say that the New Spiderman ranks right up there with Spiderman 1 and 2. Spiderman 3 would have been a lot better if they had ended it right about where Spiderman rips the symbiant off of him and it goes off to find Brock, and then just have them film Spiderman 4 as well with a few months in between the release dates.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Not that I should feel the need to remind anyone, but American Psycho is goddammed brilliant.

Comment

So you're saying that the Spider-man looked like a Transformer in one post, which is why you don't want to see it, but a giant Hulk on screen looks completely natural to you?

I honestly don't care if anyone likes the movie or not, but I find it interesting the reasons people toss out for not being liking something. You clearly have no interest in the Spider-man story, because you say that just don't like it. Fine, I get that, just like I'm not so much a fan of other characters. Perhaps your dislike of this rather well known story has tainted your perception of the CGI used in the film.
                                No it hasnt. I was going to see the film because I was kind of interested in it. (mostly because my buddy is an uber Spidey freak) The previews completely turned me off. It really isnt that hard to understand. I thought the movie looked really cheesy especially the computer effects. I have now said it 3 times for the record. It has nothing to do with my dislike of Spiderman...I have never liked Spiderman but I still enjoyed the first two Raimi movies. (the third one was only trumped in suckiness by X3)

I dont know why you brought the Hulk into this the points arent even salient. I am not saying that seeing a dude climb up walls and shoot web from a slinger looks cheesy and makes no sense on screen. These are superheros that isnt the point. I am saying the cgi for everything going on around Spidey in the scenes in the previews look like I am playing Ultimate Spiderman on my old PS2. If you dont agree that is fine...but dont try and psychoanalyze me trying to find a deeper meaning, I said why I didnt have any desire to see it and that is that.

BTW my Spidey freak friend hasnt seen it either, he also thinks the effects look rather cheesy. He must jut not like Gwen Stacy
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X