Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I saw Goon tonight, starring Sean William Scott (AKA Stifler). It's a fun movie for a hockey fan - even for a fan like me who doesn't really like hockey fights. It starts off 100% goofy, gets serious for a bit and that's when the movie lulls, then it picks up again with some humor mixed into the serious stuff. Jay Baruchel, known as being the skinny, dopey guy in a lot of Judd Apatow movies and the geeky awe-shucks guy in Tropic Thunder, co-wrote and played the lead's best friend in this movie. The plot is pretty much a cookie cutter show, but it's a fun movie regardless. The story's based on the career of Doug "the Hammer" Smith, and you see some clips of his fights during the closing credits.

Liev Schreiber plays Ross Rhea, the goon ending his own career on another team. I like Liev, he does good work as a character actor, but never seems to get the big roles.
    Fun movie. I agree. Don't go into it expecting a Slap Shot. It's not, and doesn't pretend to be. It's just......well, fun.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

The gf and I tried to watch Goon, but couldn't. I got some message on the PS3 that said that something had to be updated before I can watch the movie. I can't figure out how to update it, don't they have it on a disk or something? For the record, it is absolutely ****ing stupid to have to update this thing, how the hell do they expect me to go buy some update disk just so I can use something that I already purchased? If I knew this, I would have never bought it.

Watched Rock of Ages yesterday, and it was exactly what I expected, and I liked it a bunch. Extremely cheesy, but just a fun movie, if you like 80's music. I thought it was cast well. Russel Brand was perfect for the role he had, Julianne Hough was great eye candy and Tom Cruise actually pulls off his role.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        The gf and I tried to watch Goon, but couldn't. I got some message on the PS3 that said that something had to be updated before I can watch the movie. I can't figure out how to update it, don't they have it on a disk or something? For the record, it is absolutely ****ing stupid to have to update this thing, how the hell do they expect me to go buy some update disk just so I can use something that I already purchased? If I knew this, I would have never bought it.

Watched Rock of Ages yesterday, and it was exactly what I expected, and I liked it a bunch. Extremely cheesy, but just a fun movie, if you like 80's music. I thought it was cast well. Russel Brand was perfect for the role he had, Julianne Hough was great eye candy and Tom Cruise actually pulls off his role.
        Uh, you go to "settings" or similar on your PS3, and choose "system update" or similar. You don't need a disc.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Uh, you go to "settings" or similar on your PS3, and choose "system update" or similar. You don't need a disc.
          Tried that, it didn't work. Said that I needed an internet connection or a memory device (disc).
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I saw Goon tonight, starring Sean William Scott (AKA Stifler). It's a fun movie for a hockey fan - even for a fan like me who doesn't really like hockey fights. It starts off 100% goofy, gets serious for a bit and that's when the movie lulls, then it picks up again with some humor mixed into the serious stuff. Jay Baruchel, known as being the skinny, dopey guy in a lot of Judd Apatow movies and the geeky awe-shucks guy in Tropic Thunder, co-wrote and played the lead's best friend in this movie. The plot is pretty much a cookie cutter show, but it's a fun movie regardless. The story's based on the career of Doug "the Hammer" Smith, and you see some clips of his fights during the closing credits.

Liev Schreiber plays Ross Rhea, the goon ending his own career on another team. I like Liev, he does good work as a character actor, but never seems to get the big roles.
            He had a big role in Salt. I thought he played that very well opposite that woman.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Tried that, it didn't work. Said that I needed an internet connection or a memory device (disc).
              Can't you use your fancy schmancy phone's internet thingy feature and tether it or whatever?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Can't you use your fancy schmancy phone's internet thingy feature and tether it or whatever?
                In order to tether for free you have to have software on the computer. I don't have that software on the playstation. It has never been hooked up to the internet, and I didn't think it would ever have to be. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

In order to tether for free you have to have software on the computer. I don't have that software on the playstation. It has never been hooked up to the internet, and I didn't think it would ever have to be. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this.
                  ps3 has constant f-ing updates, if you want some time you can bring your ps3 over to my house and update it...or take it with you the next time you travel and update it on the hotel wifi.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Go here http://us.playstation.com/support/sy...date/index.htm

Use a thumb drive. Just name the folders on the thumb drive correctly. I screwed that up the first time I did it.

I'm glad I got the wireless on mine to work.

Comment

Odd. Learn something new every day.

Comment

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

It sucked. In all the right ways.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

It sucked. In all the right ways.
                          But still a much better vampire movie than "Twilight."
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            But still a much better vampire movie than "Twilight."
                            Right.

In the same way the Marc-Andre Bergeron is still a better defenseman than I am.

Even the mediocre is better than the useless.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The Amazing Spider-man was pretty good. The story starts a little different than versions you know from the past, but not too different. Peter's a little more of a cocky bastage, which fit the movie well. The web shooters are back, this time with a base in "science" established within the film. I know that was a gripe with the last three movies that some people had.

While the plot is pretty formulaic, the movie moves along really well and I didn't notice much of a lull anywhere. Make no mistake - as if it could be made with this movie - it's a flick and not cinema.

One thing I did notice that's not a fault of the movie, but there are things used in the TV trailers that don't happen in the movie, mostly in words used for overdubbing.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I was considering seeing that...until the trailers made the CGI look like a glorified Michael Bay movie.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X